• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What fuel controller?

Yeah it is extra injectors not larger ones, ill look into upgrading but say its more then I can afford, what controller is best that can run extra injectors and all that, not very interested in anything that cant subtract fuel too. Heard good thinks about the boondocker box, who else has a decent box?

Boondocker can run extra injectors right...

Last edited:
Have you looked at boost it?? They have those polaris's dialed. Personally I wouldn't run any other controller. Jmo.

Robert, I have done numerous turbo kit combos over the past six years. I'll just give you my findings from my past experience and you decide if any of it brings value or what's best for you, okay.

The system you intend or may have already purchased does have 4 injectors. Two of them are factory and the other 2 are used with a billet intake manifold that fits between your throttle bodies and upper case half intake. I tried at first using 2 separate Dobeck boxes. First one used a blue vacuum line and solenoid to read boost/vacuum. Freezing would occur within that line and the machine would run extremely rich. Second Dobeck box on the same kit was installed using a Bosch 3 bar sensor to electronically read vacuum/boost. This worked much better but still not user friendly do to constantly changing air temperatures required adjustment to the boxes.

After a winter of constantly tinkering with the Dobek to keep it from going lean to rich or vise-a-versa. I was lucky enough you locate a new boost-it fuel controller for $1250. Yep not cheap. The Boost-it box took some altering to adapt to your same kit but worked night and day over the Dobeck. Only thing was it still required adjustments in order to keep a well tuned machine throughout the season. If you don't have a good understanding of which value represents what, you'd better not change anything or you have a turbo with the flu.

I had finally reach that point of do I really want to continue down this path or move on towards something else, such as a big bore. I knew the power and fun of these machines when there on there a game is unmatchable any other way but I was still fed-up with throwing money at it.

I eventually spoke with Boston Racing and Justin Silber about my situation and point I had reached. They told me about the new reflash that was put together for these kits. Oh course I was like yah yah yah it's just another way for these turbo manufacturers to get more money. (Mind you this was when the huge hype about Vipec was coming around.) They ended up telling me the names of some guys out west that had done it and recommended I look them up for there opinions. Now that worked in my favor because 2 of them in knew very well so I was able to actually try before you buy situation.

So after getting the chance to spend a weekend out on the new ECU reflash turbo system my opinions began to change. The throttle response was much crisper, transitions from open to closed and back open throttle where very responsive and never hit a lean or DET mode. The entire weekend of riding from 3,000 ft -7,800 ft didn't effect the machine nor require tuning adjustment because the ECU computer is doing all the adjustments for you.

To sum this all up, I ended up going with the reflash system and rode that winter very pleased for the first time ever on a turbo sled. It does require you to remove the 2 extra injectors and install new larger injectors in the OEM location which then your ECU controls. You'll also need to install a 3 bar map sensor which your system probably doesn't have yet. You will also need to change the fuel line routing of the older system to accommodate using only 2 injectors instead of 4.

This past year I sold my older kit and purchased the new external waste gate system with reflashed ECU. All I can say is FUN FUN FUN!!! This kit has worked awesome for my kind of tree riding in Western Montana and has flat out ripped every time out.

I hope you can make a better decision or direction you'll take from this and wish you the best on your quest for more....

FB_IMG_1442769283283.jpg

Robert, I have done numerous turbo kit combos over the past six years. I'll just give you my findings from my past experience and you decide if any of it brings value or what's best for you, okay.

The system you intend or may have already purchased does have 4 injectors. Two of them are factory and the other 2 are used with a billet intake manifold that fits between your throttle bodies and upper case half intake. I tried at first using 2 separate Dobeck boxes. First one used a blue vacuum line and solenoid to read boost/vacuum. Freezing would occur within that line and the machine would run extremely rich. Second Dobeck box on the same kit was installed using a Bosch 3 bar sensor to electronically read vacuum/boost. This worked much better but still not user friendly do to constantly changing air temperatures required adjustment to the boxes.

After a winter of constantly tinkering with the Dobek to keep it from going lean to rich or vise-a-versa. I was lucky enough you locate a new boost-it fuel controller for $1250. Yep not cheap. The Boost-it box took some altering to adapt to your same kit but worked night and day over the Dobeck. Only thing was it still required adjustments in order to keep a well tuned machine throughout the season. If you don't have a good understanding of which value represents what, you'd better not change anything or you have a turbo with the flu.

I had finally reach that point of do I really want to continue down this path or move on towards something else, such as a big bore. I knew the power and fun of these machines when there on there a game is unmatchable any other way but I was still fed-up with throwing money at it.

I eventually spoke with Boston Racing and Justin Silber about my situation and point I had reached. They told me about the new reflash that was put together for these kits. Oh course I was like yah yah yah it's just another way for these turbo manufacturers to get more money. (Mind you this was when the huge hype about Vipec was coming around.) They ended up telling me the names of some guys out west that had done it and recommended I look them up for there opinions. Now that worked in my favor because 2 of them in knew very well so I was able to actually try before you buy situation.

So after getting the chance to spend a weekend out on the new ECU reflash turbo system my opinions began to change. The throttle response was much crisper, transitions from open to closed and back open throttle where very responsive and never hit a lean or DET mode. The entire weekend of riding from 3,000 ft -7,800 ft didn't effect the machine nor require tuning adjustment because the ECU computer is doing all the adjustments for you.

To sum this all up, I ended up going with the reflash system and rode that winter very pleased for the first time ever on a turbo sled. It does require you to remove the 2 extra injectors and install new larger injectors in the OEM location which then your ECU controls. You'll also need to install a 3 bar map sensor which your system probably doesn't have yet. You will also need to change the fuel line routing of the older system to accommodate using only 2 injectors instead of 4.

This past year I sold my older kit and purchased the new external waste gate system with reflashed ECU. All I can say is FUN FUN FUN!!! This kit has worked awesome for my kind of tree riding in Western Montana and has flat out ripped every time out.

I hope you can make a better decision or direction you'll take from this and wish you the best on your quest for more....

Well put!!

Almost the exact circumstances I've been thorough with boost.

My funnest season by far was the last one on a 2013 pro with the top of the line boondocker kit installed and tuned by Carl's...... Not even one gauge on this sled, never touched the box, response is unreal, pulls harder at 11psi than my Ovs turboed cat did at 14psi. This sled now has 1500 miles and every single one of them has been boosted. All of this with never looking at gauges, playing with tuning, and still on factory top end.

Going to to the top end in a couple weeks just to be safe. I'm sure it's time...

Thanks for the input, can honestly say it was helpful. It very well convinced me that updating the kit to run the flash might not be the right move for me mainly because it seems like the cost will add up. Obviously if buying the new kit was a smart move (financially) I would of already bought it rather then looking at used kits. Its still an option because I have looked into the kits and have no doubt in my mind they would be an unbelievable kit, but once again, money is tight. Which is the reason I am looking into a boondocker box or another box that will have the sled running good with that older kit. I dont want to cheap out on a controller and run something that I wont be able to have running good, which is why I think my best option right now is the boondocker box assuming it would actually plug into the extra injectors that this kit comes with (if anyone have any input there let me know).

If for some reason I cant figure out something that will make me have a clean running sled then maybe I wont pick up the kit, but I believe there is a way as I have dealt with my old m8 that gave me problem after problem but I always got around it. Not looking for problem after problem again this season, but also cant afford to buy new. So thats where im at basically with my decisions.

robert
i hear ya the kit your considering must be very inexpensive because the new kits from silber have come way down in price and folks will be selling used kits cheap when the snow flys i'll bet

food for thought
i don't know how your winters have been but west coast is crap lately
so the ride vs tinker all winter question is something keep in mind

Agree with wellfed. Tinkering and screwing with boxes sucks. Plus a wrong setting can cost you a top end pretty quickly and that's not cheap either.

I get being on a budget, believe me I do, but add up all the updates you're looking at and I'd bet you're not too far off a brand new silver turbo from Boston racing. Worth a call to find out anyways....

I understand what you guys are saying too, but assuming a boondocker box works there's no reason I couldn't have a clean running kit unless I'm missing something? Other then silber and boost it as far as I know every other kit comes with a box that needs to be tuned not a stand alone system. Of course Id rather never have to tune but I'm used to constantly having to tune, it's nothing new to me and nothing im worried about. I'm not the worlds best tuner but I'm also not the worlds worst.

Roger that.

Mtntk similar to silver does a reflash of the ecu so there's literally nothing to adjust. Ran that last year and loved every minute, truly a gas n go. There are differences between the 2 systems, but as far as fuel control goes they're essentially the same. The biggest improvements have been in the electronics from what I've seen. Controlling fuel delivery has made these almost idiot proof.

Boondocker box should work for ya. Used them in the past without any problems on big bores. Understanding what the settings did was the hardest part. Once you have that foundational knowledge it's just testing and pushing buttons to dial it in. Boondockers probably has some baseline numbers they could throw at ya too to get you started.

Roger that.

Mtntk similar to silver does a reflash of the ecu so there's literally nothing to adjust. Ran that last year and loved every minute, truly a gas n go. There are differences between the 2 systems, but as far as fuel control goes they're essentially the same. The biggest improvements have been in the electronics from what I've seen. Controlling fuel delivery has made these almost idiot proof.

Boondocker box should work for ya. Used them in the past without any problems on big bores. Understanding what the settings did was the hardest part. Once you have that foundational knowledge it's just testing and pushing buttons to dial it in. Boondockers probably has some baseline numbers they could throw at ya too to get you started.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, pretty sure with their box and a base setting I could get the sled dialed pretty quick. The issue im having that I havnt gotten an answer to yet, is will the extra I hectors from the silber kit plug directly into the boondocker box, I assume so but 1200$ cnd for a box isn't worth me assuming something. Need to know haha

Robert, the injectors from that year kit and the Boondocker box ARE different. You have 2 options to resolve the issue. First is purchase a set of injectors from Boondocker to install or second option is to cut the ends off the old wiring harness that came with it and splice them onto your new fuel controller.

This will not be a plug and play purchase for your system.

Unfortunately I just sold a Boost-it box for your system 2 months ago to a guy in Canada.

Robert, the injectors from that year kit and the Boondocker box ARE different. You have 2 options to resolve the issue. First is purchase a set of injectors from Boondocker to install or second option is to cut the ends off the old wiring harness that came with it and splice them onto your new fuel controller.

This will not be a plug and play purchase for your system.

Unfortunately I just sold a Boost-it box for your system 2 months ago to a guy in Canada.

Thank you! This is what I've been trying to figure out with no answers for a while now. Assuming I could 100% for sure just splice them together im not supposed to that at all, since I do know what I'm doing and how to make a good connection. New injectors are also an option. I'll have to give boondocker a call.

Well i was trying to talk to silber but once they realized I didnt plan on buying a brand new kit from them they pretty much stopped communicating with me, anyways I called boondocker and they were more then helpful, ill be buying a boondocker box and splicing into the current box from the kit to make it run those injectors, then starting my tuning from a base map from boondocker and working from that....

Well i was trying to talk to silber but once they realized I didnt plan on buying a brand new kit from them they pretty much stopped communicating with me, anyways I called boondocker and they were more then helpful, ill be buying a boondocker box and splicing into the current box from the kit to make it run those injectors, then starting my tuning from a base map from boondocker and working from that....

That's odd considering silber offers just tuning on their website..... You would think they would want to sell and support whatever services they offer.

But my experience with boondocker has been great as well...... And I've never bought a new kit from them.

I have spent $7,000 on a brand new OVS kit and had mediocre support and bought a used twisted kit and had absolute horrible support. So as far as customer support goes boondocker is number one on my list. And they didn't actually see a dime of my money!!

Premium Features

Back