• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

West yellowstone/ Island Park GPS Trails

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
Does anyone have or know where I can download a gps file of west Yellowstone/ island park snowmobile trails that I can overlay in google earth?

Reactions: christopher

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
none of the words in your request are in my vocabulary but would be happy to provide you with directions to anywhere you would like to go in the area.

Reactions: dooman92

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
Yea any advice would be appreciated. From what I have been gathering, many people head north and park around ENO's and take big sky trail and have heard some people take lions head. Would like to know places to go and/or places to stay away from or places that could put you in a bind.

Rikster - Sorry I can't help.

Mold (Or anyone else out there...) - I think I am in the same boat as Rikster. I am headed to West Yellowstone this week (be there on Wednesday thru Monday) with my family (i.e. wife, kids & inlaws). I would love to meet up with some guys to go riding. Preferably in the trees/backcountry and where we don't see a groomed trail or trail or any sort for many hours. Any help will be appreciated.

loosie_snow

Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Just found this app for both iOS and Android. Called Avenza PDF Maps. Look like you can download maps, some for free and you can use it on your device regardless if you are getting a cell signal or not. Looks pretty cool so far, but I have yet to really test it.

Loose

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
Backcountry Navigator, I have an Android based phone. You can overlay multiple gpx files, way points tracks and all kinds of cool stuff with it. It seems to have a lot of trails and forest service roads on in, unlike my GPS.

I use wifi to download an area that I will be riding, and activate my gps on my phone, and it works awsome.

under maps in the app there is a option called USA:Imagery Under that is USTopo Aerial Imagery not google earth but same idea.

now if you could get gpx files from somewhere or someone, for that area you want to ride, you can just layer it over that map. Or, just start building your own gpx data logs as you ride.

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
Looks like riderX will allow you to download a map of each state. Says its for offline use. Turn on the locator on your phone and it should track you via GPS. I will try it out Sunday, as I will be riding the west fork of the madison

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Looks like riderX will allow you to download a map of each state. Says its for offline use. Turn on the locator on your phone and it should track you via GPS. I will try it out Sunday, as I will be riding the west fork of the madison

good luck, i hope it works for you. i tried it in the hotel room, it worked great. but as soon as you get out of cell coverage, the app will not even fully load. it will attepmt to open for 5-10 second, then an error box pops up and closes the whole app. so i tried it again that night in cell coverage, and it worked. on my android samsung phone, it would NOT work unless i was on wifi/4G.

Last edited:
Premium Features