• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weird low idle situation after vforce install.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I installed some vforce reeds in my ‘20 alpha last week and got her out on the maiden voyage yesterday. Overall ran fine, but now has a weird idle quirk. When you first start it, if you don’t give it any throttle it’ll idle real low for a sec before coming up to normal idle. Also when you let off the throttle like coming to a stop, the idle will drop to about 1000rpm and sound like it’s going to die for a sec then it’ll bounce back up to 16-1700rpm and idle normal. The biggest issue is the low idle on start up. It idles low enough on initial start up that it won’t let the hand and thumb warmers power up. It’ll start flashing the hand and thumb warmer codes and they won’t ever turn on. If I immediately give it throttle on start up and get the rpm up a bit everything works fine. Anyone seen something like this after a Reed install? I made no other changes to the sled besides the reeds. Maybe I got the Iac dirty or something when removing or installing? Any ideaa?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Vern it’s lonely here in the ascender section every body is stuck in Catalyst mode lol.
Since this is a new problem I would have a look at what you worked on to me it sounds like you have a kinked or loose line on your idle speed motor. Not sure what AC calls it but it’s on your intake with clear lines running to your throttle body one for each side

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I’ll have to pull the hood again and double check everything I touched. At least it’s still rideable

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Tightened my tb boot clamps on mine after first couple rides since swapping in boysen cages.
got a few turns outa each those with a long driver, thankfully didn’t have to take anything apart. had installed them in summer…

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I was messing with it a bit in the trailer and it seemed better today. Guess I’ll see how it acts this weekend on an actual ride. Do new reeds need to break in? Its been a while since I’ve replaced reeds on a sled.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
@Vern

I replaced the stock reeds on my 19 Alpha over the weekend with the v force 3. Never had a issue with idle or riding riding it yesterday. I know its a tight squeeze in there, and I had marked my TPS with a sharpie just prior to pulling things apart. ( that was a just in case )

I never had to adjust the TPS and left it intact to the throttle bodies.
I do know that it's tight moving the throttle bodies around ( I never fully pull them ) just removed the coolant line on the pto side and hold them up to the over structure with a bungee on the mag side.
Since the throttle cable is so much in the way, possible you may have un-knowingly did something to the idle screw at the throttle bodies?
Just assuming you got the clamps tight coming off the idle speed controller..that does cause issues as you stated your having

I never broke them (V force 3) in as stated above, but do have to ride about 10 miles of trail in, and that was around 38-42 mph. Rode 57 mountain miles with a lot of WOT and never a burp.
It's not night and day difference between the stock and the V force3- possible a bit snapper off the bottom -but nothing huge on the seat dyno.
I had 1800 miles on the stock reeds and when I pulled them, they were in perfect condition.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Y’all are gonna regret not breaking them in!!

Neglect will make your bologna sandwich in tunnel bag warm. Limp lettuce…🤢

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
@Vern

I replaced the stock reeds on my 19 Alpha over the weekend with the v force 3. Never had a issue with idle or riding riding it yesterday. I know its a tight squeeze in there, and I had marked my TPS with a sharpie just prior to pulling things apart. ( that was a just in case )

I never had to adjust the TPS and left it intact to the throttle bodies.
I do know that it's tight moving the throttle bodies around ( I never fully pull them ) just removed the coolant line on the pto side and hold them up to the over structure with a bungee on the mag side.
Since the throttle cable is so much in the way, possible you may have un-knowingly did something to the idle screw at the throttle bodies?
Just assuming you got the clamps tight coming off the idle speed controller..that does cause issues as you stated your having

I never broke them (V force 3) in as stated above, but do have to ride about 10 miles of trail in, and that was around 38-42 mph. Rode 57 mountain miles with a lot of WOT and never a burp.
It's not night and day difference between the stock and the V force3- possible a bit snapper off the bottom -but nothing huge on the seat dyno.
I had 1800 miles on the stock reeds and when I pulled them, they were in perfect condition.
I did the same as you, just undid the pto coolant hose and but also unplugged the tps and just moved the throttle bodies around as needed. Really wasn’t as bad of a job as expected. Don’t think I bumped the idle screw cuz it goes back up to normal idle after a few seconds. As far as I know everything went back as it was. As I said above it seemed better just running it in the trailer the other day, so we’ll see how it goes on the next ride. Mine had a tic over 2k miles on it when I swapped them and I had a few pretty good chunks out of the stock reeds, but they still looked to seal all the way around.

IMG_2268.jpeg IMG_2267.jpeg

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
You could unplug the TPS up by the coolant bottle and take it completely out of the equation and see if that helps. I just did v force on my 21 and it is a job for small hands!
If your talking the throttle safety switch (tss), that’s been unplugged for a few years now.

Premium Features