• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Waste gate seized up.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I picked up a used 2010 M8 with a cutlers stage 3 this year. The sled has just over 1300 miles. This is my first turboed sled. As I was going through it today I noticed that the waste gate was seized up. I pulled the pipe and the muffler off and it was stuck partially open. After breaking it free it was still hard to move. I used some penetrating oil and got it moving freely. Do you guys lube the waste gate shaft? If so what do you use. How much stroke does the actuator have?

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
That shaft isn't supposed to be oiled. Its a non bushed, steel on steel shaft that just seizes up over time. Once its moving again it will get easier with the 1st ride. The oil will bake off after the 1st time you run the sled..

Reactions: Bowfisher
B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
That shaft isn't supposed to be oiled. Its a non bushed, steel on steel shaft that just seizes up over time. Once its moving again it will get easier with the 1st ride. The oil will bake off after the 1st time you run the sled..

Ya I figured the oil wouldn't last. I was also wondering if it'd free up once the turbo got hot. I thought it was kind of strange that it was stuck open though.

Premium Features