• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

UP Riding

F
Feb 4, 2008
ND
I had a fun week in Michigan. Stayed by twin lakes, ride between Greenland and Houghton west of 26. Not many people seem to go west from Twin Lakes, we found some fun untouched spots off the trail. Rode west of the Mosquito and went several miles back. Found an epic spot east of 26 not far from the highway but it was tracked up.

How do you know if it's ok to ride on the off trail areas? We figured we were good where there were other tracks but we pushed pretty deep in places. Figured we were good off fire roads which we found a lot of untouched with deep snow.

Anyway, cool trip. Met a lot of people from Chicago riding. I'm itching to get back to the Keweenaw in the summer again.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
How is the off-trail snow holding up? Thinking about making the 10 hour trip next week. Don't care about trails at all.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Even cfr/cfa land is illegal to have a motorised vehicle on. Food for thought.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
How is the off-trail snow holding up? Thinking about making the 10 hour trip next week. Don't care about trails at all.

At least on the east end, off trail will be very hard. I've been on short rides today and yesterday and needed scratchers to keep temps down. The snow was near cement solid.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio

Huh?

There's lots of public land in MI that's perfectly legal to snowmobile on!

As long as there's snow on it! And that's all I'm concerned about at the moment! !

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
At least on the east end, off trail will be very hard. I've been on short rides today and yesterday and needed scratchers to keep temps down. The snow was near cement solid.

Kind of funny that the groomers are still trying to make things flat. Kind of wasteful in my eyes. If you can get out on the sunny days where the snow softens up for ya then it isn't too bad.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah

Some detail on cfr/cfa (commercial forest reserve/commercial forest act) of Michigan.

Per DNR website:
"Michigan's commercial forest program provides a tax incentive to landowners who manage their property for long-term timber production."
"Landowners are not required to allow motor vehicle access to the property."
"Landowners, however, may post the land to restrict other activities - birdwatching, camping, and off-road vehicle riding, for instance."

CFR land is PRIVATE land. It must be posted properly is the land owner does not want motorized vehicles on it.

This has zero impact on our right to ride in state or national forests. Off-trail riding in certain parts of the UP should be good for a few weeks to come. Wait for the weather to get above freezing for a few days for the best conditions.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
CFR land is PRIVATE land. It must be posted properly is the land owner does not want motorized vehicles on it.

So what lugs is saying is if there is nothing posted about no sleds then I wouldn't worry too much about it but if you have doubts it wouldn't hurt to find out who the owner of the land is and ask for permission or even sign a liability waiver. I have found that to be the best tool to getting on to some excellent riding. Once the owner knows they aren't liable then they can sit back and relax and you can grip it and rip it.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
Thanks for the updates, keep em coming. Hopefully the weather will permit us to head up April 10th weekend!

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Thursday, April 2. Backcountry, north of Seney. At least 3' of snow in the woods. Great day of riding! Picking your days is critical this time of year. 24-36 hours of warm (mid-30's, low 40's) to soften snow, otherwise hard as a rock. Next weekend is looking good.

picture.php

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
I had a fun week in Michigan. Stayed by twin lakes, ride between Greenland and Houghton west of 26. Not many people seem to go west from Twin Lakes, we found some fun untouched spots off the trail. Rode west of the Mosquito and went several miles back. Found an epic spot east of 26 not far from the highway but it was tracked up.

How do you know if it's ok to ride on the off trail areas? We figured we were good where there were other tracks but we pushed pretty deep in places. Figured we were good off fire roads which we found a lot of untouched with deep snow.

Anyway, cool trip. Met a lot of people from Chicago riding. I'm itching to get back to the Keweenaw in the summer again.

This is really the problem with off trail in the U.P. unless you do tons of research you chase tracks! Many of those tracks are trespassing. Assumptions get people into trouble! Certainly some spots that I would love to ride but have to sit on the edge looking in then drive away.

Premium Features