• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

University of Wyoming mailing out survey **IMPORTANT**

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Well.............. Can't get into all the details going back and forth right now, but as a non-resident I filled out the survey as best as I could. I will still ride in WY if they hike the tag fee because I feel it is a minor setback compared to the thousands of dollars I spend elsewhere related to snowmobiling.

Hopefully the outcome of this survey will only benefit the snowmobile community and the resources available that make the riding areas better for us. Seems like there are some major issues that need resolved that a majority of us probably haven't been educated about. (at least non-resident riders I guess) Good luck.

racer

M

MNSnowCat

Apr 13, 2009
MN
Kim followed thru and sent the data I requested. I haven't read thru everything yet, tho.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
an audit may show what's needed

I think this audit is a good idea. A problem identified is a problem half solved. In the past, bids were made by private contractors to groom the trails. I saw much better results then than I see now, since the government took over the grooming. As stated by someone earlier, fees collected for specific purposes increasingly are siphoned off to pay for other needs. An example in my area is that 5 years of a wheel tax collected for street repairs was used for a "flood control" project. Needless to say, our streets went to pot! If permit money is for support of the trail system, any effort to use it for anything else should be strongly defended against. In regards to Minnesota sledders paying for trail permits so bicyclist and rollerbladers can use trails without paying: I see that Wyoming has now started charging ORV (off road vehicle) permits to use the trails when there isn't snow on them. Hopefully, this new income will help fill the gaps from budget cuts. Comparing surrounding states' permit amounts is a moot argument. I don't think people will say, "I'm not sledding in THAT state. Their permits cost too much."
The important thing is that we all give good, constructive input rather than name-calling and finger pointing. Several good points made here already.

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
I think this audit is a good idea. A problem identified is a problem half solved. In the past, bids were made by private contractors to groom the trails. I saw much better results then than I see now, since the government took over the grooming. As stated by someone earlier, fees collected for specific purposes increasingly are siphoned off to pay for other needs. An example in my area is that 5 years of a wheel tax collected for street repairs was used for a "flood control" project. Needless to say, our streets went to pot! If permit money is for support of the trail system, any effort to use it for anything else should be strongly defended against. In regards to Minnesota sledders paying for trail permits so bicyclist and rollerbladers can use trails without paying: I see that Wyoming has now started charging ORV (off road vehicle) permits to use the trails when there isn't snow on them. Hopefully, this new income will help fill the gaps from budget cuts. Comparing surrounding states' permit amounts is a moot argument. I don't think people will say, "I'm not sledding in THAT state. Their permits cost too much."
The important thing is that we all give good, constructive input rather than name-calling and finger pointing. Several good points made here already.

1. Kim is involved for more or less an audit.
2. Last year was the first year that all the trails systems were put out to bid for grooming since the state took over a few of the areas several years ago! IMHO the problem is when the state took over it ran most of the willing bidders out of town. Now we are see single bidders!
3. ORV is a completely separate program and we see $0 from that fund.
4. I have not seen or heard of any attempt to reroute the sled funding in Wyoming. Agree that any attempt would be fraught hard.

I think your right on that we need constructive input and not finger pointing to get the program back to where it needs to be! In all my sledding expenses through the year, the tags are damn near free in comparison!

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I got mine in the mail about 2 weeks ago, went on line and filled it out. :rockon:

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
I spent some time up at Togwotee this year, saw some guy running around in a brand new Ford crew cab dually with and enclosed trailer with two or three brand new sleds in it, on the trailer it said something about the Wyoming snowmobile ***.I think these people are state trail people,
I personally don't think the state of Wyoming needs to spend that kind of money on that much equipment for these guys to be running around maintaining the trail system. Maybe what I saw isnt what's going on but it sure seemed like a lot of wasted money from my point of view. I don't have a problem with the maintainance people have good equipment, it just seemed a little much.
I am not trying to offend anyone or anything, it would be nice to see all of the costs for the program instead of just asking people if they are willing to pay more to ride the Wyoming trail system. I did not receive a survey so I dont know what they are asking So I am just guessing. If someone would put it in a doc form just so we could all read it anyway that would be great.
Just my opinion.

Premium Features