• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted Turbo box modes

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
My buddy bought a used race gas Twisted Turbo M1000 and we are going for its first ride tomorrow. Can anyone tell me how Shain sets up the different modes in the Dobeck box? I want to be able to help him tune it if need be. Just need to know what B/G, Y/B, and R/B do, since every tuner can set them up differently. He might know, but this is his first turbo, so I want to be sure in case he isn't. Thanks.

I can tell ya right now if it is a box that came from twisted it isn't just a standard dobeck, Derek fisher setup box. Shain has them tweeked before he sends them out.

I know a cutler box and the standard dobec box has the boost fuel on the green circuit. Twisted runs it on the red circuit. So you will chase your tail until you figure it out. (and if you want to know why shain has these switched pm me)

Personally I would start out with 2 on the green, 2 on the yellow and then 6 or so on the red.

Also set the green transition to about 5 and yellow at about 6.

(On my sled I am running 0 on the green, 0 on the yellow and the transitions off, then running all boost fuel on the red. (this is more how a boost it box runs.) So I am on the stock AC fuel map and only controlling my fuel when on boost. Now if I had a lean spot in my stock map I could add some yellow and get a bit of fuel. But mine runs pretty damn clean (Most of the time) the way I have it setup.

The other option, and considering you don't have time, is send the box to Dobec and have him dump in a cutler program or something he knows a lot about so he can help you over the phone. Shain is hard to catch. But Shain has done a bunch with transitions and fuel percentages in his box to get it perfect also.

Last thing, If the sled was running fine pre turbo then don't even watch the AF gauge unless your on boost. You will be seeing 14-16's when mid range down the trail. If you try and tune this out with the box it will be so fat that when you want to nail it, it will load up and fall on it's face. Again if it was running good on the stock program, IMO only worry about the boosted fuel added.

Thunder

call neil at boost it, the dobec box is not the way togo. It will be money well spent.

you know this sounds good but I can also tell ya they want a pile of money for this box. I tried to contact them several times over the summer and didn't get that warm and fuzzy feeling they would be their to answer the phone when I needed them.

So I am sticking with what I have for now.

I can also tell you that Dobec is coming out with a 100% closed loop, continuous feedback box. You will punch in a target AF at specific RPMs and it will continuously adjust fuel to match it. So when the temp changes, elevation, etc, it is adjusting.

If they get it out this year it could be really nice also.

Thunder

My buddy bought a used race gas Twisted Turbo M1000 and we are going for its first ride tomorrow. Can anyone tell me how Shain sets up the different modes in the Dobeck box? I want to be able to help him tune it if need be. Just need to know what B/G, Y/B, and R/B do, since every tuner can set them up differently. He might know, but this is his first turbo, so I want to be sure in case he isn't. Thanks.

I built a 09 M1000 Twisted RG turbo in 2009 and if memory serves, green, yellow and red are standard settings. Meaning green deals with idle and just off idle fuel, yellow for off idle to approx. 3/4 throttle, while red is 3/4 to full. The green/blue was used to add fuel under boost, yellow/blue changed the transition from green to yellow mode and the red/blue dealt with the transition from yellow to red. I had three different box settings I used depending on boost and the type of riding I was doing. These were my numbers and may or may not work for you...USE CAUTION!!

Trail riding into climbing areas and light climbing: Green) 0 or .5, Yellow) 1.5, Red) 0 or 1, Green/blue) 4.5 or 5, Yellow/blue) 5, Red/blue) 7.5,

hard climbing: Green) 3, Yellow) 3, Red) 0 at 9 pounds+ and 2 or 3 at less 8 or 9 pounds, Green/blue) 4.5 to 5.5, Yellow/blue) 5.5, Red/blue) 7.5,

Adding numbers in yellow/blue and red/blue causes the switch point to happen sooner. The lights will light up when you drive, indicating what mod you are in/using.

The reason for the number changes in green and yellow from trail to climbing is because the turbo M1000 runs rich down low off boost and these numbers help clean it up some (I ran 38 to 40 fuel PSI at idle. DO NOT GO BELOW 38). The bad news is if you climb hard with the green set lean, you can squeak a piston coming back down the hill after a good pull. The motor needs the extra fuel to help cool the pistons, hence the larger numbers in green and yellow.

I found that my sled ran lean on lower boost settings before the green/blue kicked in with the extra fuel, so I added some fuel in the red section. however, when I ran higher boost, over 9 pounds, I did not have that problem so I left red at 0.

Hope this helps. And again, these numbers may not work for you and Shain may have changed what the colors do now compared to the fuel controller in my kit.

Last edited:
I am surprised Shain doesn't have a mode for primary injector boost fuel and a separate mode for secondary injectors. When you say G/B is fuel under boost...do you know if that was primary injectors or secondaries?

I rode my buddies sled today and was surprised by the fact that it ran 42 lbs of fuel pressure. Ken advised me to run my Push TM1000 at 30 lbs. I thought that seemed way too low, so I turned it up to 34 lbs and the sled wouldn't hardly run. I don't understand how Shain gets it to run with the higher fuel pressure. I wish I could run the higher pressure, because when I turn my boost down below the turn on point for the secondaries I run lean even with my red mode and primary boost fuel maxed out. Sucks because I would like to run 4-5 lbs most of the time, but can't because it runs too lean.

Thanks for the info already given.

I am surprised Shain doesn't have a mode for primary injector boost fuel and a separate mode for secondary injectors. When you say G/B is fuel under boost...do you know if that was primary injectors or secondaries?

I rode my buddies sled today and was surprised by the fact that it ran 42 lbs of fuel pressure. Ken advised me to run my Push TM1000 at 30 lbs. I thought that seemed way too low, so I turned it up to 34 lbs and the sled wouldn't hardly run. I don't understand how Shain gets it to run with the higher fuel pressure. I wish I could run the higher pressure, because when I turn my boost down below the turn on point for the secondaries I run lean even with my red mode and primary boost fuel maxed out. Sucks because I would like to run 4-5 lbs most of the time, but can't because it runs too lean.

Thanks for the info already given.

The stock fuel map requires 42-47psi of fuel pressure. So when on the primarys if you aren't running within this range it will be lean. (unless you are using your secondaries all the time)

Thunder

so how did it run? That's the real question.

It was boggy off the very bottom. It would take a second or two and then it would clean out and run great. I have to wonder if it is not the higher fuel pressure causing that. My sled is not as boggy off the bottom. Mine just sometimes bogs BAD, when on and off the throttle. I was not riding my turbo, so we couldn't do a direct comparison.

42 PSi is Perfect

then it should go up 1 psi fuel pressure with every 1 psi boost, so IE.at 5 lbs boost should have 47 psi fuel.

Premium Features

Back