• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turnagain 2008

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
I couldnt find the other tread so here is a new one.

Any new updates?

I heard they got 15inches new, but cant confirm if that is in the parking lot or over the pass.

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
sorry to break the bad news but turnagain is all bare ground. definatly not 15 inches of snow. maybe 2 at max. its a bad snow year so far there

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I drove through monday night and there was 2 inches but there was 5-6 inches around portage and snowing hard.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Snow!

I was in Turnagain on Thursday Nov 6th. There was at least a foot of new snow in the parking lots and closer to 18-20 inches up higher. We were on the non-motorized side, but looking across the highway at Seattle ridge it looked like about the same situation. They need a lot more snow before we will be riding in Turnagain, there are still lots of bushes and alders that are sticking out and the up track is almost bare near the top from the wind after the storm. Also the Avy danger was huge yesterday, with a really bad layer of surface hoar between the old snow and the new snow. So we had to stick to the low angle terrain.
So, its looking better, but we're not there yet.
I'll try to get a picture on here that was taken yesterday about 2/3 of the way up on Sunburst. One of my buddies got a little to close to the steep stuff on his way down, luckily he was able to just ski out the side and wasn't caught in the slide.

2008 nov 6 015.jpg

Last edited:
R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
drove through about 7 hours ago and there was just over 2 feet at the snow marker. when i came through last weekend there was completely bare ground. makes me happy to see some amount in turnagain finally.

A
Oct 14, 2008
it cant open until december first, thats if there is sixty inches of snow. we might be lookin at a late opening as usual : (

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
its on the snowmachine side. its about 100 ft above the road kind of across from tin can parking area. its at the sno-tel weather station

Premium Features