• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo help

I'm looking at installing a turbo on my 2011 m8 hcr. But I'm a beginner when it comes to turbos since I have never really dealt with that area of a sled. So was just curious we're to begin when buying. If anyone is feeling ambitious enough to give me a run down on what all has to be done when purchasing a turbo, ex. Cold air, clutching, programming, etc. would be greatly appreciate it. Oh and I run back and forth between Prarie and mountain riding if that has too much to do with it. Also any pros/cons would also be greatly appreciated since I have heard so many horror stories from friends. Thanks

If it's your first kit I would recommend getting a complete kit from a reputable dealer. It should come complete, intake, exhaust, venting, clutching, and all the instructions needed to get it done. And if you bite the bullet and purchase a new kit most likely you will get good phone support when you hit a rough spot. Thats how I would do it if I was you. Now what kit to buy, keep surfing, calling and asking, you'll have more opinions than you know what to do with.

Thunder

I would look into buying a sled already done. You will save alot of money. I bought my m8 turbo last year. Love the sled will never go back

my 2011 is available 9000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0y5Qi2Mk8g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

my personal sled I built in 11 is available. about 1800 miles on it great shape.

bdx diamond drive lite
light weight break
light weight skid
z bros arms
floats 2 all around
tunnel dump stainless exhaust.
vented everywhere.
clutched ti springs
hcr skies
m7 steps
push turbo with boondocker box no tunning need. pull the rope and go.

X2 on finding one already built. I'm building one right now, and don't get me wrong it's fun, but my wallet hates me, it's just the little things that I keep having to buy. Things you didn't think you needed/want that you need/end up buying. Either way even if you build one yourself you'll have fun doing it and you'll be extremely proud of the outcome once it's done.

like others mentioned

BUY ONE ALREADY DONE!!! There are lots of them around used and they can be bought much cheaper than the price to build. Ask for a test ride then you know how it runs before you buy. If money is no object then buy a new sled bring it to one of the top shops and let them work their magic.

I have 2 m8s. One is turboed one is not. I do alot ov flat lander riding as well as mountains and I don't like riding my turbo down at home on the flat nearly as much as my stocker m8 It's just not as fun as a naturally aspersted 800. Don't get me wrong I love the power ov the turbo but u loose that throttle response when u wanna wheelie over the countless hills on cut lines. Or drifts in the ditch or along tree lines. try one on flat land before u make a purchase if u wanna use it for both.

I sure feel for you guys that have to continue to get nickle and dime'd on parts to get their kits running like they should. Again when I purchased my Twisted Kit from Shain it was 100% complete. Now if other kits aren't doing this than they aren't doing all they can for you the customer.

I personally wanted to install my own kit, more as a learning experience, I know where every line is routed, where power is pulled from, how the boost controller is plumbed, etc. When you don't have any turbo experience and buy a complete kit they are awesome as long as they work. But they will have an issue and unless you are familiar with turbos and the operation of the entire system you will hate it.

As for will you like it. Ditch banging it will not be as fun as a stocker. It does loose some of that "SNAP" off the bottom. (and it should considering you are now swinging a bunch more weight and don't have the added boost off idle to wick it like you need) But again depending on the kit, the lag is minimal. And when the boost comes on it is a whole lot of fun. :)

So IMO you need two sleds, one with a full race gas turbo and one stock for ditch banging.

Thunder

:face-icon-small-con I cant imagine wanting to take a stock m8 out here in ND instead of my turbo. That's what I love about the turbo you don't even need hills or drifts to wheelie. Just hit the flipper and catwalk it for hundreds of yards....it is an absolute riot ditch banging pull up on the edge of ditch and wheelie past the cars on the pavement that are going 55. The lag on bottom is so minor compared to the insanity on mid to top end:face-icon-small-hap

I have ran a couple other kits that it took a little longer to spool up but this tial push kit has almost stock throttle response with double the HP.

We'll I want to see it as a learn period as we'll. going and buying a sled with a turbo ain't human help me when it comes to dealing with a problem it it was to ever occur

Premium Features

Back