• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo dilemma. M8000 153 or 162

powder pounder

Premium Member
I have a boondocker turbo that needs to be installed. I have a 2015 m8000 in both 153 and a 162 with a three inch. I used to be a 162 guy but after spending a couple months on a 153 I might have changed my mind. More agile for sure. Might though a 3 inch 156 under the 153. With a turbo will the 153 be too much of a hand full? Anyone with real experience please chime in.
Thanks.

Either one will want to wheelie, I prefer the 153 with a full kmod skid, is fully adjustable and if you haven't had one it will blow your mind with the control it has. To me putting boost on without one is like only using 20% of the turbo. I have tried both but without 3". love the fun factor of the 153 kmod setups.

I run a 153 2.6PC and for my type of riding I like the 153 better the skis in the air is half the fun and adds a little challenge. If all you do is climb steep climbs go 162.

Honestly im a 153 rider my sleds a 153 turbo and if i could do it again id make it a 162, only for a turbo though, any other time id be all for the 153 but it wheelies so much turboed

Another thing to consider is you already have both sleds... Say you turboed the 153, when would you ever ride the 162 again? Because even on deep days the 153 will go more places. If you turbo the 162 then the odd days where the snow is scary on a turbo you take the 153 out to play.

--Turbo the 162 chassis then swap out skids and track to see what you like for conditions

--3" x 153 PC with a Kmod or Timbersled

--Either way you need a coupled skid like Kmod or Timbersled

It's funny how some are saying the 153 would wheelie too much...isn't that a big part of the fun of having a turbo!? I know it is for me. I have a 153 turbo'd and it is the best all around sled I've ever sat on. More nimble when necessary but still gobs of power on deep days to make up for shorter track. You won't go wrong either way but I think the 153 would feel more responsive in quick reaction situations. Which is important when riding a turbo. Unless you're just goosing it up chutes. .

Also you can get rid of the 'wheelie' issue with some clutching.

It's funny how some are saying the 153 would wheelie too much...isn't that a big part of the fun of having a turbo!? I know it is for me. I have a 153 turbo'd and it is the best all around sled I've ever sat on. More nimble when necessary but still gobs of power on deep days to make up for shorter track. You won't go wrong either way but I think the 153 would feel more responsive in quick reaction situations. Which is important when riding a turbo. Unless you're just goosing it up chutes. .

Also you can get rid of the 'wheelie' issue with some clutching.

You aren't getting rid of the wheelie issue as you say by doing clutching... Unless it's bad clutching that makes you loose track speed. I 100% agree that my 153 turbo is a really fun wheelie sled and I like it wheelieing a lot when I'm just playing around in a bowl or something.... But when it comes to actually going in steep trees or trying to climb out of some steep trees or something it wheelieing can be a huge problem when you flip over backwards and can't get out of where you dropped in.... And it won't hold a side hill as good either. Also the 162 is still so nimble and will wheelie as much as you want with a turbo... Just saying there's a lot more pros then cons to a longer track. You want it to wheelie more turn up the boost!

Reactions: cpa
You aren't getting rid of the wheelie issue as you say by doing clutching... Unless it's bad clutching that makes you loose track speed. I 100% agree that my 153 turbo is a really fun wheelie sled and I like it wheelieing a lot when I'm just playing around in a bowl or something.... But when it comes to actually going in steep trees or trying to climb out of some steep trees or something it wheelieing can be a huge problem when you flip over backwards and can't get out of where you dropped in.... And it won't hold a side hill as good either. Also the 162 is still so nimble and will wheelie as much as you want with a turbo... Just saying there's a lot more pros then cons to a longer track. You want it to wheelie more turn up the boost!

For you there's more pros than cons to a 162 but everyone has different preferences and riding styles. For me the 153 has more pros. To each their own. I don't think it's accurate to suggest that across the board for every person the 162 is a better length. That's just not true.
I spend 99% of my time in steep and deep trees and drainages. Not once have a wheelied over backwards. It's all about throttle and brake control.
Anyways, we've wandered off the topic sort of haha. I think either length for all around conditions you can't go wrong. Both fun sleds.

AS LONG AS ITS A CAT NOT A POO YOU'LL BE FINE :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

My Boosted 153" was a D&D901 with boondocker Turbo at 9 PSI

the skis were always 2-3 feet of the ground, and I had little control, I would ping pong off trees at times, definitely get a KMOD to control Ski lift. I ran a 162 with a 3" last year, with the Kmod Conversion and it still lifted the skis a bunch due to the 3", but i was able to fix it with some tuning of the Kmod skid, then in Mid February had the oppurtunity to swap skids to a full Kmod Skid with Raptors and switch to a 174x2.5". the Raptors really make the kmod Shine. it is not fun when you are climbing steep stuff, and you are almost going over backwards, or you are trying to maneuver thru trees, while climbing and your skis are 3 feet in the air.

Damn. I might start on turbo today. Went out yesterday with both tracks 153 and 3 inch 162. Stock m8000 sleds. I feel so much more confident on the 153 in the tight trees. I am scared about the wheelie problem with the 153 tho. Also I feel the 3 inch makes the sled harder to maneuver. Anyone else notice this.?
If I was climbing hills most of the time this would be a no brainier. But I am loving the tight tree riding way more now.
Also last year I had a rkt 925 kit on a 153. Wheelie action with ovs anti wheelie kit was not bad.

There's two ways to look at this, you either do the 162 and if it's to much then swap skids. Or you do the 153 and if it wheelies more then you like you swap to the 162.

I have an m8 pump gasser 153. Tons of fun and very quick and agile. The only time it gets to be a handful is when you are pulling that last bit of the steepest climbs...nose does come up and it will want to wheelie over. Some say throttle control is key...which is part of it. But fact is there are times when you need to be wfo to make the climb...that is where the 162 is better. That said, you can also wheelie a turbo 162 over backwards in the same situations...you just get a bit more drive and nose down stability. So if the steep climbs are your thing go 162. If you live for the deepest pow and want the best flotation...162. If you spend most of the day in technical stuff, like quick moves and a lighter feeling lower effort sled, the 153 is king...and you will be less tired at the end of the day. I'd say it's a good problem to have. Enjoy the turbo whichever way you go.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, I went 153 and am loving it. Nimble and responsive in the trees. There are times a 162 would be better like big climbs and the wheelie issue at times but for me overall the 153 is just better and more fun.

Premium Features

Back