• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tuning a turbo, how do you weigh the loss of warranty?

B
Nov 10, 2010
Question for those that are putting a tune on your turbos this year, as I’m intrigued too by more power.

How much do you consider the loss of warranty when installing a tune?

Only reason I ask, I’ve personally blown up 2 n.a. 850s, both with cranks that locked up. Warranty for me saved my ass over $6k each time. Is the power boost worth that risk to you? Maybe you all are in better financial situations then I, but that’s a good chunk of coin to gamble with.

To top that, I’m sure that in the supply chain issue world we live in today we will see more issues with MY22 sleds. Some vendors for some parts I bet we’re swapped which only ups the chance of issues. I know in the world I work in this is the truth, it’s the gamble manufacturers are taking to deliver product on time. Polaris has already seen issues, cat too… in the world of production I’ve learned “to not throw stones in a glass house”… don’t poke fun at the competition when they are down as it’s only time till it happens to you. Ski-doo has been pretty solid, and both my motors seemed to not be the norm, but 2021 has hit manufacturers hard and this could be a year where warranty is worth it’s weight in gold.

Do these things cross your mind or am I just the broke guy who saved his pennys for a turbo this year, and is overly cautious? ?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
It’s my first turbo sled, and I m not going to retune it for a couple years. I thought my 2020 Expert was a great sled, so I’m guessing 40ph gain will satisfy me till the warranty is up. At that point I will make a decision to tune it up .

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
more power is always compelling but for me the question would be is it really needed when it could mean the end of your riding season as well as a large out of pocket expense.
having deep pockets won’t help with supply issues.

I
Jul 5, 2001
What I found out was the B.E.S.T. warranty that you get or "pay for" is a joke !!! it don't replace anything that should be covered... you actually need to ask SKIDOO what they "DO" replace under that warranty...
And since these sleds will require to be plugged in to BUDSII system there is no way around it.... so I only go with the skidoo 1 year bumper to bumper and on the last month of that doo warranty, go to your dealer and purchase the aftermarket warranty for 1, 2 or 3, years if ya gonna keep the sled.... they don't require a computer link to BUDS, and will replace stuff like hyfax, tracks, wire harness, etc...been there done that..... this has worked good for me.....my .02

Reactions: Teth-Air and jcjc1
B
Nov 10, 2010
What I found out was the B.E.S.T. warranty that you get or "pay for" is a joke !!! it don't replace anything that should be covered... you actually need to ask SKIDOO what they "DO" replace under that warranty...
And since these sleds will require to be plugged in to BUDSII system there is no way around it.... so I only go with the skidoo 1 year bumper to bumper and on the last month of that doo warranty, go to your dealer and purchase the aftermarket warranty for 1, 2 or 3, years if ya gonna keep the sled.... they don't require a computer link to BUDS, and will replace stuff like hyfax, tracks, wire harness, etc...been there done that..... this has worked good for me.....my .02
I think B.E.S.T. warranty is no joke actually. As I mentioned before, I've had 2 motors go on 850's, one on year 2, one on year 3 of ownership. Both were covered by B.E.S.T., and both cost me a $50 deductible on a $6k+ repair. Again, worth its weight in gold for me!

What aftermarket warranty provider are you using? thats a good call that they might not require plug in of the unit to buds, which i've been told will show a tune?

I
Jul 5, 2001
I would think the question in this thread would be answered with a semi edited version of:
"If you gotta ask, you can't afford it."

But now I have to wonder where some of y'all are riding if wearing out sliders is an issue?
Well on the 2020.5 turbo they decided to REMOVE the bogie wheels at the front skid shock location, and i must have got a set of faulty ice scratchers, broke both at same time and same ride and at 800 miles the hyfax were cooked and thru to the rails.... They replaced the ice scratchers but did NOT warranty the hyfax or the track that is now de laminating..... pick and chose your battles is the feeling i was left with... Funny part is on the 2021 and 2022 sleds they now have boggie wheels back in that location.... again WE ALL ARE the R&D for Skidoo...... ok my rant is over... cheers !!!?

Reactions: wyobob44 and Ox
C
Mar 15, 2018
... again WE ALL ARE the R&D for Skidoo......
Which is exactly why I snow checked a 2022 just in case they come out with a new chassis for '23. I would much rather buy the last year of a particular chassis (when all of the bugs are worked out) than the first year. I just want to pull the cord and ride. Not interested in being the guinea pig.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Well on the 2020.5 turbo they decided to REMOVE the bogie wheels at the front skid shock location, and i must have got a set of faulty ice scratchers, broke both at same time and same ride and at 800 miles the hyfax were cooked and thru to the rails.... They replaced the ice scratchers but did NOT warranty the hyfax or the track that is now de laminating..... pick and chose your battles is the feeling i was left with... Funny part is on the 2021 and 2022 sleds they now have boggie wheels back in that location.... again WE ALL ARE the R&D for Skidoo...... ok my rant is over... cheers !!!?

So you rode with your scratchers down 100% of the time and went 800 miles before you realized they had broken off?

I
Jul 5, 2001
So you rode with your scratchers down 100% of the time and went 800 miles before you realized they had broken off?
That is actually funny to read that out loud.... LOL :ROFLMAO: No scratchers go down leaving the truck and up in the pow, then back down on the way back to the truck....this one trip forgot my flap ( a must have on expert chassis ) so was dipping off into as much soft as I could find, got back to truck and scratchers were gone, both snapped off at the bolt and only a 1/2" piece left behind bolt and washer..... Next ride out i was in deep snow and had to roll sled over and seen yellow in my hyfax...... so ordered the HYPERfax and 2000 miles now and not a bit of wear.....

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
thought it was interesting that they would remove the bogie wheels and what would be the reasoning behind that? i looked at the schematic for 2020 and 2021 summit turbo experts and it shows those wheels on the schematic but they're shown in an inset and not in place in the lower suspension diagram but i don't know if that's significant or not.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
It’s cheap to tune your turbo sled, less than $1000. If my factory turbo was my only sled, I’d probably still tune it. The power is just super fun. Had mine on stage two most of last season. Warranty was never in the thought process, been riding turbos and big bores for long enough to have lived the “gotta pay to play” scenario multiple times.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
For most guys, a huge upside of buying the factory turbo (especially the Doo turbo at a reasonable premium to N/A) is the warranty.

Unless you just can't help yourself, it's not worth doing anything to void a factory warranty.

There are meaningful mods that can be accomplished without disrupting the ECU or exhaust. Clutching is the best performance improvement!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Exactly. And the random one guy who does tune and blows his factory turbo sled up and subsequently gets denied warranty will be here going NUTS about how crappy the Doo warranty is. :ROFLMAO:
So true, it’ll be blasted all over social media. Still, IMO, these are a little anemic for a turbo. Love my bikeman stage 2 tune!

Reactions: PaulAnd
Premium Features