• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trying to wean my sled off the jug

smoking_powerstroke

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
I have finally got to the point where I am tired of dragging a race drum around. I have a 2010 M8 with a push race gas turbo kit on it. Running 10lbs on 50/50 mix of 91/110. How can I get to straight 91 at elevation? I would even consider running 1 gallon of 110 per tank for insurance but I don't want to have to bring a drum with. I am guessing 6lbs of boost and I do have a boondockers electronic timing module I haven't installed(not sure if its worth it?)

You have a 2010 M8? That is a high compression head, you can go to a 2007-2009 stock head which will lower your compression. This will help with the amount of octane you need.

yanking timing to add more boost on pump is robbing peter to pay paul. dont do it, just turn it down a little lower and run the same power.

I do not want to add more boost, already having problems with the skid and the sled trying to be in control and not me.

Have you tried lowing octane, (i e got a det code,)
What elevation

I have got the det code a couple times in Cooke.

Were ya trying to boost er pinning down the trail?? Once you go lower u just take er easy an you should be fine. An also the lower you go it gets quite rich with a turbo so could also lead towards getting det down low. Also what conditions of reeds? I cracked one an kept det where I never used too then next day lost the whole petal.

Leave the stock 2010 head on and install the timing module. Mix a gallon or two of 110 in with 91 and run 9-10lbs all day long or a bit more at higher elevations! The stock 2010 head will give you better bottom end performance over the 09 head - that's why I went with the timing module.

I've ran it both ways over the past years putting on over 5000 miles - on my 09. A few others in the group run the same setup.

9-11lbs boost with this setup is absolutely perfect for my riding style.

Were ya trying to boost er pinning down the trail?? Once you go lower u just take er easy an you should be fine. An also the lower you go it gets quite rich with a turbo so could also lead towards getting det down low. Also what conditions of reeds? I cracked one an kept det where I never used too then next day lost the whole petal.

I wasn't pinning it down the trail was messing around climbing.

What I am wanting is the ability to run straight 91 or just one gallon of 110 at elevation in Cooke(so above 8,000ft?) I swapped the reeds out at the end of last season and they were a little chipped but not terrible. But has brand new M1000 reeds in there now. I am going to throw the BD timing module in, and turn the boost down to 8lbs and see if I can get away with this with the factory 2010 head.

One question for you snopro you wrote "An also the lower you go it gets quite rich with a turbo so could also lead towards getting det down low." Are you referring to elevation? If so than I have to disagree

Last edited:
Too rich will det because it can't burn all the fuel up on the stroke from what I've seen. Wen I chipped reed bad I could see it was real rich on one cylinder an it was DET. Also if u watch your AF coming down elevation it will get richer. I had piped m1000 before this an it was opposite. Down low need more fuel. But with a turbo at lower elevation it has to move less air an work less down low to make the same boost so I always have to drop my numbers. I ride home at 2300ft an my numbers are always lower to make it run clean or else she's too rich.

Don't want to derail the thread but what code is det on the speedo? Also does it just go into limp mode until it's restarted? 2010 M8

smoking powerstroke have you ever tried jeffs timming trick? Its like 100$ cheaper than BDs. I am just courious if you tried and didnt like it because I think my 2010 m8 with excact same kit as your runs awesome with it rippy on the bottom with the HO head and I just carry a couple jerry cans with 100LL to blend run 10 psi and love it. Maybe he has went away from these for some reason I have not talked to him for a long time. Seems to run much more consitant too hardly ever touch the box any more.

Premium Features

Back