• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trying to peice a garrett turbo together????

C

coug66

I am looking at a pump gas kit for my M1000 but it has a 3071 turbo with an out of spec center.
tytedesu.jpg

ene2yzab.jpg

I have found a center with a bad intake impeller.

Can I fix the 3071 with this center? With a new intake can I use it?

The pictures below are of a good center with a bad induction impeller.

From a Boondocker, Polaris pro 800

I suspect this turbo is a GT2860
2014-11-15.jpg

2014-11-15.jpg

I would love to pump gas turbo my M1000, I have access to this turbo with a bad intake what is my best option/ combination.

Thanks

Last edited:
ebay, racing first is the seller your looking for. Ive got several of his dual ceramic ball bearing gtx knock offs and they are perfect !!! you wont be disaapointed.

590 bux brand new, why not. you would be shocked to find out who is in the list of bulk buyers..tell him gus sent you.

Thanks for the heads up there are a number of low cost options.

Would it be possible to take the blades, off the bad center housing and put the housings and blades from this 3071 on it?

Ebay picture below but use the blades and the center section to create this?

CHRA.jpg

ebay, racing first is the seller your looking for. Ive got several of his dual ceramic ball bearing gtx knock offs and they are perfect !!! you wont be disaapointed.

590 bux brand new, why not. you would be shocked to find out who is in the list of bulk buyers..tell him gus sent you.

I am really new to Turbo's and do not have a grasp on this yet. Are you saying get a whole new turbo the equivalent to the 3071? or are you saying use this center section with knockoff parts? or are you saying buy a whole new assembly?

If I can rebuild the garrett for $400 wouldn't it be better to rebuild the existing turbo in the kit?

I need advice on the best solution for the options I have. I will look onEbay to see whats availability.

Last edited:
Those blades are a balanced set and cant be separated without a rebalance. The best option for you is order a garrett gt3071wg. You want to get the 4 inch compressor or intake and .86 exhaust housing.. You will want a low boost actuator if your gonna run below 9 lbs..

Its the cheapest of the 3071's and will work for low boost.

If your gonna run above 10 lbs you really want a full sized gt3071R or even the gt 076wg

There a few guys with used turbos our there, just gotta be on top of it as they sell quick.

The other option is send your turbo to Forced Performance and have them add a bigger compressor wheel and rebalance.. They charge 700 for that and it comes with a billet HTA billet wheel.

no interhcanging of parts .. balance will be wrong and assembled height will be in finished and incorrect.

the units I directed to you are billet compressor wheel 11 blade.
I also use forced performance turbos on my big race turbo application.

have a rally fun season:welcome:

I am pretty excited about joining the boosted world.

My current plan is to get the Garrett 3071 and carefully log the orientation/ balance of the existing blades. Scribe the orientation and disassemble the center section. Then I will disassemble the Ceramic Ball bearing turbo and see if I can swap 2860 impellers with the impellers from the 3071.

plan B would be to buy a rebuild kit and fix the 3071 center.

Plan C would be to have the center rebuilt.

plan D would be to buy a 3076 or larger ceramic ball bearing turbo from Ebay.

I had to buy a Snow Hawk to try a Snow Hawk now I am buying a turbo to try a turbo sled.

Money sent, looking forward to getting setup.

Blades on the 2860 are bad.

2014-12-25.jpg

2014-12-25.jpg

Last edited:
COUG, seriously, that stuff is NOT INTERCHANGABLE!!!! Those wheels are spinning up to 40,000 rpms.. Do you want to do this again after you get towed back to the truck on your 1st ride? There is a reason only a hand full of rebuild shops can do the work you want to do yourself. Take it apart, sure, how will you balance it? The compressor wheel only fits on the turbine shaft 1 way. I love your desire to do it yourself... but this one is way over your head..

I figure the big issue is the balancing.

The rest of the center section looks really simple.

I am going to presume the 3071 blades are balanced as is.

I am going to come up with a system that will allow me to separate the blades and then reassemble in the same orientation. presumably I will maintain the current balance position, so no better but no worse.

My thought being long attachments to the blades that bring the accuracy to a fine point. The longer the hands on a clock the better the accuracy.

If I can't ensure a system that I am confident the balance has remained the same I will switch to the professional solution and have it balanced.

I don't want to loose everyone on this issue, I will need more help getting this kit dialed in.

The previous owner died in an avalanche Nov 26th.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385419

hoping to replace the turbo next year with a 3076. I also anticipate adding two injectors.

kit as is
pump gas twisted turbo kit running 6 psi.

Last edited:
What happened to Donnie.

Experienced snowmobiler's avalanche death near Cooke City: A closer look

»

547f232239d1b.preview-699.jpg

Avalanche site

Courtesy photo
Photo shows where avalanche broke and where snowmobile was killed near Cooke City last week.

2014-12-03T07:41:00Z 2014-12-03T18:55:26Z Experienced snowmobiler's avalanche death near Cooke City: A closer lookBy Brett French Billings Gazette Montana Standard
December 03, 2014 7:41 am • By Brett French Billings Gazette
(0) Comments

Donnie Duane McKay, 31, of Powers Lake, N.D., has been identified as the snowmobiler who was killed last Wednesday after he was caught in an avalanche on the southwest side of Henderson Mountain near Cooke City.

McKay was an experienced rider familiar with the area and carrying avalanche rescue gear. Yet he rode on a day when the avalanche center had issued a high avalanche danger warning for the mountainous area after it collected 24 inches of snow in 36 hours.
McKay rode up a chute with a 37 degree pitch, the prime angle for avalanching, according to Mark Staples of the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center in Bozeman.
“As you go steeper, especially really, really steep like you see in the ski movies, the snow is constantly sloughing,” Staples said.
On a slope less than 30 degrees, there’s not enough of an angle to perpetuate an avalanche.
The avalanche that engulfed McKay was remotely triggered, meaning a collapsing of the snowpack near the rider sent a fracture uphill to release snow from above. The avalanche broke about 2 to 3 feet deep, 300 feet wide and bowled downhill about 400 feet, burying McKay in 5 feet of snow.
“One of the hardest things for us to teach is the collapsing of the weak layer,” Staples said. “It’s hard because it’s invisible, you don’t see it.”
The fractures can speed uphill at 100 mph to release snow that can then rumble downhill at speeds of 50 to 60 mph. A similar situation last winter killed a Bozeman rider on New Year’s Day in the Gallatin Canyon. The man was one of two snowmobilers killed in avalanches in southwestern Montana last year.
Montana has the highest rate of snowmobile avalanche fatalities in the nation over the past 10 years. It ranks second for all avalanche fatalities behind Colorado. Wyoming ranked sixth last year for avalanche fatalities and fourth for snowmobile avalanche deaths.
Airbag not inflated
Although McKay was facing downhill behind his snowmobile when found, it’s unclear if he tried to outrun the avalanche even though he was wearing an avalanche airbag. Carried in a backpack, an airbag, if deployed, allows the wearer to float closer to the top of the snowpack during an avalanche.
McKay’s fellow rider, who was stopped below and did not see the avalanche, found his friend within about 20 minutes but he had already died from his injuries. Statistics show that about 90 percent of avalanche victims recovered within 15 minutes survive.
Considering that there were 80 avalanche incidents in southwest Montana last year with 23 people caught, five partial burials, five full burials and four injuries, the death toll could have been much worse.
Last year’s snowpack was unstable thanks to a below-zero week in December that created large snow crystals that were then buried under more and more snow. The large crystals were like marbles waiting to roll. This year’s cold weather hasn’t produced crystals quite as large, but that can change over time.
“The snowpack is exactly like a river or pond that you see steaming on a cold morning when you get all of that frost on the trees,” Staples explained. “That’s what’s going on in the snowpack.”
The temperature at the ground is always 32 degrees. The ground is steaming like a river or lake under the blanket of snow, which is 70 to 80 percent air. As the steam rises through the snowpack, the snow crystals can change.
“Sometimes the snowpack can change for the good, and that’s what we’re hoping to see,” Staples said.

I figure the big issue is the balancing.

Sorry you are presuming incorrectly. There are dimensional differences and they are dimensionally different because they have different performance specs.

You have two different animals kinda like trying to use some good 15" tires on 13" wheels or vise versa. I would suggest do not put your riding buddies through your learning curve.

I think you were given some good advise above. Either buy a new rebuilt center for the 3071 or a new correctly sized turbo(3071 or 3076). Also do some research on the correct AR sizing of the hot and cold housings to be sized correctly for your application. It's cheaper than broken motors and ruined rides.

Good Luck

I understand it probably wont work but its nice to have hope.

I can have hope till I have both turbo's in hand and take them both apart to see what I actually have. At that point I will know the reality of my situation.

Why I have hope is the kits I see on Ebay. If its a ball bearing turbo and cartridge's are interchangeable between CHRA's 28 and 30, I have a chance.

If the shafts length and diameter profile is the same then I have a chance.

I see kits on Ebay and they have both turbos for the same bearing cage.

$_12.JPG

BALL BEARING REBUILD KIT FOR GARRETT GT28R GT30R GT35R TURBO CHARGER

GT2860R bad compressor blades, ceramic ball bearings.

3071 = ?????

I am expecting the swap not to work, but if it does I am going to be boosted and jacked!

Last edited:
I went back through the thread and watched the turbo rebuild video that you linked to. It was interesting but scary. I see where you are going with all of this now. I'm still scared but interested....good luck and let us know if those eBay parts fit and work.

Just figured out an incompatability issue

The compressor wheel in this picture is a 60 on the GT2860R

If I use the center as is I would try and insert a 71 wheel into a 60 hole.

The existing recess for the wheel ( on the 2860) would be too small.

Next thought would be swapping the ceramic internal cartridge from the 2860 into the out of spec 3071.

there are no balancing marks on the compressor wheel, all the balancing was done on the other end. Could be it was balanced for that wheel and makes up for the imbalance of the combination.

2014-12-25.jpg

I didnt watch the video yet, but just simply keeping the orientation the same will not work as they are balanced after the turbine and compressor wheels are installed on the shaft, so trying to maintain the same orientation is pointless and by scribing any part of the rotating assembly that is enough to absolutley throw the balance off. unless you got super duper laser vision you will not be able to eyeball the orientation close enough anyways.

Most turbo repair shops cant do this work, I have yet to find an outfit in western Canada, northwest US that can rebuild a garrett ball bearing cartridge.
not trying to be a dick but nobody wants anyone to be stranded in the backcountry when that turbo sends metal into your engine

I know I am riding on the edge of the cornice

I realize I am not following the best practices techniques and yes I am risking my motor and screwing up my buddies riding day.

I don't want to be accused of turbo heresy but I have to say I am not that intimidated by the balancing technology.

Looking at my factory GT turbo with bad fins I notice some things.

2014-12-30.jpg

The balancing system is not high tech precision computer generated weights like my spin balance tire guy. Its ground free hand multiple radius's and on the hub not the edges.

The balancing marks are only on the exhaust side not the compressor wheel side. They are pre balanced before the compressor wheel is attached and then the hub is reground to make up for the compressor wheel balance.

just how important is the side with the lightweight billet?

How precise is the grinding and if my compressor wheel was off by a whole millimeter how much is that going to counter the accuracy of the free hand balance grinding of the hub or shaft.

I would be more worried if I changed compressor wheels and had no way to balance it. All I have to do is ensure that what I take off goes back on within a millimeter or two. What if I use multiple marking techniques, felt tip markers, scribes and long straight rods 12" long against a straight edge?

I should be able to maintain the balance.

unfortunalty I may have to wait on this job, I need to find a way to repair my transmission on my Acura. hard to worry about snowmobiling when your soon to be down a car.

Take a quick skim through this video and then tell me if the turbo repair video is still that intimidating?

The advice is helpful, when I have to make a call weather to cut corners or follow best practices I take all the advice into consideration.

I am sorry to screw with everyone. I know you are all looking out for me and trying to save me some heart ache and unnecessary financial hardship.

I just have to run on that line where I don't spend the money unless I am absolutely sure I need to spend it.

Last edited:
The compressor wheel or the aluminum wheel had balancing done on the back side. If you pulled the wheel you would see they take material with a die grinder. The balancing is much more complex than a spin balance on a car tire. Call Forced Performance, he will school you.

That would make sense the compressor wheel is pre balanced and the shaft and exhaust impeller is balanced as a unit.

I am going to maintain the balanced items orientation and it should maintain the existing balance.

It makes more sense than having an unbalanced wheel added to a balanced system.

When I watch balancing videos It looks like it gets to a spec range but not perfect balance.

My hope is that I can maintain the balance of the assembly system existing design.

I shouldn't have to worry about the balance since I am maintaining the existing.

It looks like the balancing is done with state of the art techniques but these are still some crude techniques. I would feel more confident with a cam'ed lathe. the lathe would precisely cut the hub to balance it based on the computers readout.

Instead balancing is done with a free hand grinder, on a not exact precise point on the hub. The width of the grind and on what axis is subject to the skill of the grinder operator.

If he is left handed or right and puts more pressure on the back or the front of the wheel. Then you have the variable of the grinder wheel, fresh or worn?

My goal is to reposition the wheels within a millimeter ( outer edge of blades) of original position. Hopefully I will have a perfect alignment. I know I can get it more precise than the grinder free hand grinds the hub.

I can connect the point of the outer blade better than the "angle" of the grinder wheel on the hub.

sounds like the comp wheel is pre balanced as obviously you could not remove material from the back side while bolted together i say just do it and let us know how it worked out be honest. and really have any of these guys even tried it?

pretty excited, turbo kit arrived last night!

Before I start modifying my sled I thought best to resolve the turbo first.

small amount of play in the turbine

2015-01-03.jpg

I can't wait to put the GTX turbine cartridge in the GT Center.

Better get the turbine wheel off the bad blade GTX 2860R

2015-01-03.jpg

Took the shaft out of the 3071 and put pieces on the bench.

2015-01-03.jpg

Took the GT3070 apart and besides having a junk center it has a problem.

2015-01-03.jpg

Balancing marks on the back of the 71 blades

2015-01-03.jpg

What I think I know.

Used turbos have risk. my buddy bought a turbo with bad compressor

I bought a turbo with bad exhaust side and center section.

The GTX2860 had no balance marks on the compressor wheel.

The GT3071 had balance marks on the compressor wheel.

I assume they are balanced separately since they can't be balanced on the back while mounted on the CHRA.

This would lead me to believe it may be possible to mount the balanced wheel on the shaft and not be as concerned about the balance?

I did not investigate completely but I think the center cartridge is the same with just different bearings between the 2860 and the 3071.

The shaft length was slightly longer on the 3071.

I am not sure which way I am going to go to resolve my situation.

Ultra cheap Frankenstein new shaft and exhaust blade combo and possibly bearing kit.

EBAY turbo cheap ( journal bearing)

EBAY turbo ball bearing.

Just ordered a stock exhaust pipe last night instead of cutting up my SLP.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back