• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer tires

Yaeger34

Premium Member
I have an aluminum karavan 4 place trailer that rides like I am driving on train tracks. Just bought it and previous owner says its been sitting for years. I assume the wheels are just eggshaped and flat spotted from sitting, not sure what else could cause that really. Anyway I am having a tough time figuring out where to get decent tires for cheap. size 20.5x8x10

There really isn't any thing cheap about tires anymore. Seeing you're in St. Cloud, I'm assuming you pull it out west. I'd upgrade to taller tires if you can fit them under there. A lot less revolutions heading west, easier on bearings, and tires. For a little bit more of a cost. Good luck.

Post up a pic of the trailer and a good detail shot of the tire/axle/body area too.

I went through this with a twin axle trailer. tadder is right, they just are not cheap. I bought from eTrailer.com. I did the Goodyear radials (do not buy bias tires!). There is a Chinese brand, but I opted for Goodyear. The funny thing is that a full wheel is nearly the same price as just a tire. I ended up buying all four. Two one year and two the next.

They only way to get a "flat spot" is under inflated bias ply tires. If that is the case, inflate to maximum PSI and take it for a 10mile drive. They will smooth out or they are shot.
Most likely they are separating internally. Heavy loads and rough rocky mountain roads wreak havoc on trailer tires.

Small goodyear trailer tires are the worst. The tread will usually start cupping within a few thousand miles.
This is information from many years in the tire biz not biased opinion.

GS6

Premium Features

Back