• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track Tension with Ice Age rails??

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Hey guys.

I just bought a 2015 Viper MTX 153 from a friend of mine and I'm having a hard time understanding something.

The first thing I noticed when I got it home was how slack the track was. I put the sled on a stand, and with zero weight on the track it sags to about 1 1/2"

I then noticed that the axle bolts are only about a half inch from the end of the rail. I'll post pics so you can get a better idea.

I asked Ice Age if they ever heard of such an issue and they said no, and that I should try to tighten the track to 3/4" without weight.

The previous owner said he has never experienced the track ratcheting.

So I may leave it be.

Is it possible the track is stretched this much? The last owner didn't used scratchers and wore out the slides and the rails to the point that they bent up into the tunnel and almost cracked off. Not sure if an incident like that would be able to stretch a track this much.

Anywho, just take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. I may just haul it off and throw a 3" on it...

Thanks!

IMG_20150621_213934.jpg IMG_20150621_213939.jpg IMG_20150621_213943.jpg IMG_20150621_213950.jpg

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It sounds like your friend had to replace the rails. Could he have ordered the wrong length rails by accident or had the wrong ones shipped?
Can you tell if the rails are bent at all or if the suspension itself is bent? I am no expert but that seems to quite a bit of sag. To already be at the end of your adjustment is telling me something is off Does the track tighten up at all when you cycle the suspension? if it does that would be a sign the something is bent back there.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Something screwy is definitely going on with this setup. They were the "wrong" rails ordered but looks like something else is giving us issues.

Check your email! We'll get this licked.

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
So I have 12-13 pro climb rails, which are supposed to be 5/8 inch longer than my stock viper rails (that I don't have anymore) and my track is still very loose.
My suspension was bolted up in the bottom hole in the front of the tunnel and the middle hole on the drop bracket. This makes zero sense to me..

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Do you know if it is the OEM track that came on the sled or did your friend swap it out? could it be a 155 or 156 track off another sled ? Do you know if he swapped out the OEM drivers for aftermarket and ordered the wrong diameter? just throwing out ideas here because you are right this is not making much sense here

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Stock drivers and stock track. I'm just waiting to hear back from Ice Age, maybe the rails were constructed smaller that they should have been.. that's all I got as of right now. Would a bigger rear wheel kit work for me to get some slack out of the track?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I had a similar problem. I bought a peak 2.5 163" track to replace my 162". I bought new iceage rails. There was to much slack in the track so I bought 9" wheels. That took care of the problem.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Cool, that's good to know. At least you knew where the slack was coming from though! Was this a viper too by the way?

Is there anyone out there with a stock suspension Viper MTX 153 that could measure their rails for me? Thanks.

Premium Features