• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS + dielectric grease= Det

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Thought I would offer a reminder.
Today we had a sled that went into det limp mode constantly. We were scratching our heads. It has not had this problem until today. We went through everything. I asked if he put dielectric in any connections. He did not flood the connection but was aggressive with the grease. He cleaned the dielectric out as best he could. Det problem was solved. The dielectric floats the pins causing a loss of communication with the ECU from the TPS.
Be careful applying dielectric to all sensor connections and the ECU plugs. As Matt Stoxen would say: They are not wheel bearings. :)

Last edited:
I've seen this on Packard/Deutch/Amp etc connectors that have seals on the connectors... in autos etc...

Small pins are worse it seems.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Thanks for the heads up!! That very well could be the problem I am having, very eratic idle and goes into det mode at very random times.

The dielectric floats the pins causing a loss of communication with the ECU from the TPS.
Be careful applying dielectric to all sensor connections and the ECU plugs. As Matt Stoxen would say: They are not wheel bearings. :)

Thanks for the heads up!! That very well could be the problem I am having, very eratic idle and goes into det mode at very random times.

Gents,

I've run into this before with Weather Pack style connectors but found that the root cause in those cases was that the terminals were deformed & did not have enough tension to maintain proper contact. I think the dielectric grease only exacerbated the issue.

It could be that removing the grease helps to promote a better connection but does not really address the worn / deformed / loose terminals.

I'm not the biggest fan of dielectric grease. I prefer well sealed quality connectors. However, when I do use dielectric grease I only put it on the housing/seal area of the connectors so the terminals are not coming into contact with it. Remember dielectric is an insulator.

Thanks TRS

Have to keep this in mind. I pack my connectors like wheel bearings with dielectric grease. haven't had a problem yet but ill keep it in the back of my mind

Oh great... I've been having an idling issue after the sled warms up... Went to inspect the reeds and pulled the connectors off of the ecu and the lower was full of water.... I crammed both connectors full of grease and it idles fine now after warming up

Then I come inside to see this thread... Awesome...

Oh great... I've been having an idling issue after the sled warms up... Went to inspect the reeds and pulled the connectors off of the ecu and the lower was full of water.... I crammed both connectors full of grease and it idles fine now after warming up

Then I come inside to see this thread... Awesome...

You'll be fine!

We see it often in GM vehicles in the field. Techs will pack connectors full of dielectric grease and hydraulic the terminals. Many times, the terminal damage is so severe that the terminal needs to be replaced. Dielectric grease is a preventative not a repair.

Reactions: TRS
That is some really good info, I too always thought dielectric conducted electricity better, but a little research proves that it is an insulator!

I was going through all my connections the other day on my dragon (because I have been having a little idle issue) and I found that the big square connection, I believe the main one out of the computer, was full of some kind of grease. I am assuming it is dielectric. I never put it there, so it either came like that from the factory, or the dealer did it when it had the '10 update. Anybody else seen this from the factory?

That is some really good info, I too always thought dielectric conducted electricity better, but a little research proves that it is an insulator!

I was going through all my connections the other day on my dragon (because I have been having a little idle issue) and I found that the big square connection, I believe the main one out of the computer, was full of some kind of grease. I am assuming it is dielectric. I never put it there, so it either came like that from the factory, or the dealer did it when it had the '10 update. Anybody else seen this from the factory?

Manufactures have been putting dielectric grease in connectors for years. Cars boats, motorcycles snowmobiles etc. I always make sure connectors are greased up, and I don't see connector issues. The grease fills voids between pins within connectors and provides an insulator so that spurious currents don’t cross between pins because of a moisture bridge.

Last edited:
Same here, I'm a big believer in using it but it's not sun tan lotion! i use a small pick & use it sparingly, never a problem:face-icon-small-hap

Manufactures have been putting dielectric grease in connectors for years. Cars boats, motorcycles snowmobiles etc. I always make sure connectors are greased up, and I don't see connector issues. The grease fills voids between pins within connectors and provides an insulator so that spurious currents don’t cross between pins because of a moisture bridge.

OS, I agree... and I put DE grease in most electrical connectors... I have some TPS sensor pins sitting here on the bench, loose... They are pretty tiny and dont have much "spring" to them... so I think that TRS is onto something here. With less force on the pin... the grease may be able cause issues with the contact area.

I also have 3 different brands of dielectric grease here... CRC in a can with nozzle, DowCorning in a tube and Permatex in a tube. All three are different viscosities...The CRC is really thick, the DowCorning is much thinner in consistency.

i ride a 2012 pro 800 , and the first thing i did when i brought it home new from the dealer was pull all plugs apart and put dow corning in them and at 1400 miles have not had a problem yet. i have done this on a 03 escape , 08 dragon and now the 12 pro.

OS, I agree... and I put DE grease in most electrical connectors... I have some TPS sensor pins sitting here on the bench, loose... They are pretty tiny and dont have much "spring" to them... so I think that TRS is onto something here. With less force on the pin... the grease may be able cause issues with the contact area.

I also have 3 different brands of dielectric grease here... CRC in a can with nozzle, DowCorning in a tube and Permatex in a tube. All three are different viscosities...The CRC is really thick, the DowCorning is much thinner in consistency. .

MH possibly, but I have filled the TPS connector on every PRO that has come through my shop... quite a few, and there has not been one come back with a TPS issue. Before taking this approach I personally had a moisture issue in my TPS connector right after I purchased it and after filling it with the grease, 1700 miles later not a single issue.

MH maybe another way to look at this. If you have weak/bad TPS pins/connectors then that is the issue and would be an issue with or without the grease. It's fairly well agreed that the grease helps reduce moisture issues in an other wise sound connector. I would vote to add the grease in every case and replace weak connectors if that is determined.

Again... I agree... especially one that has been on/off many times..

In the case of the TPS female terminals (inside the connector housing)... They inherently don't have much pressure on the female terminals when new. The female terminals for the TPS that I have on the bench are new and never crimped. Next to a similar sized MP-150 female, there is not much pressure at all on the "tongue" of the female terminal that presses onto the male pin of the TPS sensor... here is where I believe that a thick DE grease could "float" the connection as TRS puts it.

I believe we are on the same page here that DE grease is an aid in assembly.... The better the connector and seals, less problems. Thre are many sealed connectors on Aircraft and military equipment that specifically say "never use dielectric compound upon reassembly of this connector".

If/when there is a moisture intrusion issue on the TPS, as is often the case with the TPS... it would come from only two places unless the TPS is cracked... The seal on the connector housing or the 3 seals around the wire inlets... a good grease wipe around the housing seal and and a good dab of ultra-black around the 3 wire inlets would solve that.

I thought that one of the years... Polaris used a "hood" over the connector as well??

I'm still using dielectric.. but only the thin stuff I have from Dow.

I believe that what TRS is saying is that with a simple clean-out of the particular dielectric grease that his customer was using on his TPS connector, it cleared up a running issue ....and to be aware of it if you have a similar issue. Never hurts to have options.

Which brand of DE grease are you using?

Last edited:
Reactions: TRS
Thought I would offer a reminder.
Today we had a sled that went into det limp mode constantly. We were scratching our heads. It has not had this problem until today. We went through everything. I asked if he put dielectric in any connections. He did not flood the connection but was aggressive with the grease. He cleaned the dielectric out as best he could. Det problem was solved. The dielectric floats the pins causing a loss of communication with the ECU from the TPS.

Maybe I should have picked my verbiage more carefully. Floated instead of floats.

Last edited:
It's good to have other opinions, but one sled with a det issue and then the grease is removed is a pretty small sample size, when MANY more TPS connectors are running well with the grease. It’s just as possible that by simply removing the subject TPS and reinserting, could have caused a better connection whether you removed the grease or not. You did two things at the same time. You removed the grease, and reinserted the connector. You feel that it was the grease, maybe so, but it could just as easily been the action of reinserting the connector. Add the grease guys, the gains out weigh the possible down side. IMHO.

Premium Features

Back