• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To upgrade an 01 summit 700 ZX, or Buy newer sled?

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
Well, now I have a dilemma. I have a Skidoo 01 Summit 700, 144 track with 2700 miles which runs great but will probably be due for an engine rebuild next summer. I also want to do some upgrading so I picked up some Simmons Gen 1 ski’s for it ($200.00), need carbides ($ 90.00), want some Better Boards ($190.00), and want to add Team secondary ($380.00), and some Boyesen Rage Cages ($315.00), as my present carb boots (from 01 I’m certain) have many tiny cracks but none that go all the way through. I would also like to get a new track and push it out to a 151 with extensions ($ 499.00 [Tracks usa, great deal!]).

Problem is I can probably get $1800 - $1950 for the sled as it sits, and no more (and probably less) than that if I were to ride it this season and sell it next fall next even after I plunk all that money into it for upgrades.

I’m sure that I would be very happy with this sled after it’s upgrades, heck, I’m happy with it now but it could be better and it would be after these upgrades. Problem is I think I may be upgrading to a newer sled with more modern technology and suspension in another season or two anyway and I just wonder about plunking more money into an older sled that is definitely a great sled but 3 – 4 years from now will be really dated as far as it’s technology goes, so what to do?

Cost would be $1175 +/- $100, to do everything except the track and extension or $ 1,675 +/- 100.00 to do it all, OR sell it as is, take the $1,800.00, add it to the $1,675 parts fund and have nearly $3,500 in the piggy bank for a new (used) sled.

Hmmmm?

REV4ARUSH

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eastern SD
I would sell it and upgrade. If you are patient, you can find pretty good deals on 04 and up summits that people have already spent there money on and moved up to an XP. IMHO the revs and XP's ride so much better. When I get back on a ZX now it feels like I'm sitting in a recliner with my feet out front:) This is all just my opinion of course and I like to upgrade sleds. Maybe that's why I'm always broke :D Good luck with your decision.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
rev

i loved my 734 zx, but, end of the day...i'd rather be on a rev. :)
the fun factor was much greater for me on the rev.

Premium Features