• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To drill or not to drill

S
Jan 19, 2022
Mb
Hello everyone. New to snowmobiles and rebuilding their engines. Been doing some reading on here and need some clarification. I am currently in the process of rebuilding an 800 ptek in a 2008 summit. Pto side piston leaned out. When taking apart there was lots of grease in the pto crank bearing and none in the magneto side. From reading on here it is my understanding that the pto bearing is supposed to be sealed on the inner side to keep the grease in. My crank bearing is wide open. I also see that there is no oil holes for the oil to get there and no grease fitting as talked about to grease the bearings on either side. My dilemma now is do i use isoflex grease with an open bearing or do i try drill out the housing and try get it to oil??? Read some old (2010-2011) threads about drilling housings but that was mostly on the triples, not sure what the concensus is there. Some guys say yes and some no but i dont read anything current about doing this. Is it still good practice or has that ship sailed a everyone goes grease?

S
Jan 19, 2022
Mb
Looks like not much happens on this forum. Just for an update i decided not to drill the housing and pulled off the outside bearings and repacked according to the book. 5ml isoflex on the mag bearings and 8ml inner pto and 19ml outer pto. Hopefully itll last a long time.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I remember when this forum used to be the place to get info for all years of sleds, but not so much anymore. It seems if you don't own a brand new sled there is not much buzz going on in here which sucks.
Anyways good luck with your repair hope it holds up and have a great season!

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Looks like not much happens on this forum. Just for an update i decided not to drill the housing and pulled off the outside bearings and repacked according to the book. 5ml isoflex on the mag bearings and 8ml inner pto and 19ml outer pto. Hopefully itll last a long time.
I think that was question no one wanted to be responsible for. I have seen it done both ways . I don’t know if one way or the other is better. I would have went the packing with grease option.

Premium Features