• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TM8 wont run..need HELP fellaz

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
give that a try

Save yourself the headache of going through everything except the harnesses, take the ECU out of the sled and test it in another and see if it's doing the same thing as it's doing in your's. Sounds like you've already spent a fair amount of time trying to pin point the issue, but from my experience it's even more frustrating we you find out it was something you were looking at the hole time.

Worth a shot, I will try to find a donor.

Thanks

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
yep i have good spark all the way around. My idle doesnt really vary much it pretty much sits at 800 rpm and if i dont run the flipper a little it just backfires and dies out! I dont have a donor sled to try the ecu in it, so im just going to take to Jeff on thursday so him and I can go through everything together. I thought this would be a good route to go with so i can learn more about the setup. I did also mess with my #'s trying to make it idle but it didnt help! Jeff is thinking i could be the voltage regulator sending spikes through the system!?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
yep i have good spark all the way around. My idle doesnt really vary much it pretty much sits at 800 rpm and if i dont run the flipper a little it just backfires and dies out! I dont have a donor sled to try the ecu in it, so im just going to take to Jeff on thursday so him and I can go through everything together. I thought this would be a good route to go with so i can learn more about the setup. I did also mess with my #'s trying to make it idle but it didnt help! Jeff is thinking i could be the voltage regulator sending spikes through the system!?

Go into the bd box and remove about 8 points at 3000 low and 5 at 3000 mid, just to see what happens if your not sure do 10 points. It should idle way up.

If you lean it out it will idle faster and smoother, if its rich it will idle ruff and low and kinda sound erratic. like its loping.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
i went to -8 on the low and -4 on the mid and it didnt really change much. I suppose i can try to lean it out more when i get home in the morning!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If you are going that low I think the problem is elsewhere, or maybe some other settings need changed, I don't have enough time on a bd kit to know what all the box does. It would be nice to know what it says for fuel pressure. But try dropping numbers anyway to see.

G

GF2

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane WA
I also have had mag side cylinder drop off under a load could not figure it out until I inspected my plug wires I had one rubbing through and periodically grounding , and also make sure all your boots and wires are screwed on tight , this solved my low end bog condition also under boost. now it runs perfect today anyway:face-icon-small-hap

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Mag side plug wire

I also have had mag side cylinder drop off under a load could not figure it out until I inspected my plug wires I had one rubbing through and periodically grounding , and also make sure all your boots and wires are screwed on tight , this solved my low end bog condition also under boost. now it runs perfect today anyway:face-icon-small-hap

Did you replace the coil. I have one that had been rubbing, so I taped it up. Dealer said I cannot buy just the plug wire. There is a good chance this is my issue.

Thanks for the help

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
Try bypassing the boondocker box at the injectors. Unplug the boondocker wiring from the injectors and temporarily put it back to stock and see if it runs. If it runs (idles fine, don't take it for a ride that way) then your problem is either the box or improper wiring setup...ie bad ground on boondocker box, bad connections, or maybe the new box isn't wired properly for your injectors. You may need to switch wires on one or both of the injector pin connectors. Not sure about the M-8s but on the M-1000 it seems Arctic Cat didn't wire them all the same and you had to check your wiring closely to make sure you were wired correctly when adding boxes. More times than not, it's a connection problem somewhere though. good luck! I feel your pain.

Last edited:
L

little_orange_cat

Apr 7, 2008
lynden
www.myspace.com
Ive had the same problem. it loaded up my m8 so bad wouldn't start. What I did was unplug the injectors pull it over with the throttle wide open if its the same thing as mine it should start after a few pulls. Once it starts with the injectors unplugged let it run until it dies you can rev it up a little too. Then plug in your injectors and see if she'll run i have to do this about 3 times. It never did it again after that.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
thanks guys for all the posts and help! I took fuel away this morning on my 3k low and med and it didn't help it at all. The only way i can get it to start is to pull all plugs, wipe them off, pull the rope to get any extra fuel out of the cylinders. It's seems to be just flooding the sh*t out of it on the low end. When i get it started and rev it up to 2500-3000 it runs nice and smooth, rev it higher and start building boost it sounds super crisp and very responsive. Just the low end is way over fueled i think. Bypassing my BD box take care of this? ill try it in the morning anyways but just want a little more insight on why its flooded so fricken badly?

Thanks again for all the posts, this is really making me learn a sh$t load about my sled. you guys rock!!!

C
Nov 9, 2005
Montana
Maybe I missed it if you posted it, is this a 2 or 4 injector system? If it runs fine at higher rpms and/or when on boost, you may still have a box issue. Maybe the boondocker box is falsely reading boost and richening up the mix at idle. I would still try unpluging the box and see what happens. Also the secondary (if you have them) injectors need to be powered properly or they can leak fuel into the system.

Ya know, sometimes I really miss the good-ole-days of stock sleds. :face-icon-small-hap

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
its the 2 injector system. Ya when i get it to run and keep it in higher rpm's it seems fine but if i let it go down low itll just spit, sputter, backfire and die every time. ill bypass the box in the mornin and see what she does!

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
I bypassed the boonie box this morning and it would idle (just barely). Only about 850 rpms. Unplugged the injectors and pulled it a few times to get the fuel out of the system, plugged everything back in, started and idled nice for a few minutes then went back down to 7-800rpms. wtf

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
Dude, test your darn ECU for the last time, I'm telling ya, I had this happen and it was the ECU going bad which finally fried the EFI controller as well, but whatever, keep going on your witch hunts if you choose.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I bypassed the boonie box this morning and it would idle (just barely). Only about 850 rpms. Unplugged the injectors and pulled it a few times to get the fuel out of the system, plugged everything back in, started and idled nice for a few minutes then went back down to 7-800rpms. wtf

I would send your ECU off at this point.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
snowhound: Im sure it is the ECU but i just wanted to make sure it wasnt something else little that i was missing. I put the beast all back together and am not touching it now! It goes to Jeff @ Dakota Performance on thursday to get all fixed up. Thanks for all your help guys, ill update my post when i get back thursday night and tell you what we found!

Thanks again fellas

S

snowhound82

Jan 22, 2009
Arlee, mt
ATTA BOY!!! Just so you know what originally caused mine to go bad was excessive moisture inside the EFI box, and under these demanding power loads "from the turbo kit" on the stator, the ECU could'nt stand up to it and unfortunatly found the week spot in it which in turn made my sled run like yours and then finally it just quite running. By the way, my "new" sled had only 240 miles on it when this happened. I just don't want to see you waste any more time searching for ghosts like I did. Understood that you have to look at everything just to see if there's a root cause behind things, but trust me, from what you saying it's doing, if I'm wrong, I'll pay for your riding for 1 whole weekend in western, MT, good luck and let us know what you find out!!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2

Last edited:
K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
snowhound: Im sure it is the ECU but i just wanted to make sure it wasnt something else little that i was missing. I put the beast all back together and am not touching it now! It goes to Jeff @ Dakota Performance on thursday to get all fixed up. Thanks for all your help guys, ill update my post when i get back thursday night and tell you what we found!

Thanks again fellas

I see where a couple others checked their reeds but never saw a post on if you checked your reeds or not. It really sounds like broken reed pedals.

mattsoreide

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
Bowman ND
haha alright that sounds like a deal to me snowhound!!! speaking with jeff this morning again he informed me that he has had 6-8 sleds this year with bad ecu's, and only one was a turbo, the rest were stockers!

Knzee: i dont have anymore time to spend on the machine for a few days, so the reeds and everything will be looked at on thursday.

Premium Features