• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle slack adjustment

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I have ran them for several years and believe overall they are actually safer then a thumb throttle. You get so much more grip wrapping your thumb around the bars that alone is a safety improvement. When I had the thumb throttles a few times I would accidentally be full pinned when I didn’t want to trying to hold on to the bars. Thumb throttles can be dangerous for inexperienced riders when they go into reverse hit the throttle a little to hard lose balance and end up wide open going backwards. My concern with the finger throttle was tree branches I haven’t had a problem yet but I can see how that would be an issue. Also I got my throttle cable tight by making a little spacer to get it away from the bars a bit.

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
I have ran them for several years and believe overall they are actually safer then a thumb throttle. You get so much more grip wrapping your thumb around the bars that alone is a safety improvement. When I had the thumb throttles a few times I would accidentally be full pinned when I didn’t want to trying to hold on to the bars. Thumb throttles can be dangerous for inexperienced riders when they go into reverse hit the throttle a little to hard lose balance and end up wide open going backwards. My concern with the finger throttle was tree branches I haven’t had a problem yet but I can see how that would be an issue. Also I got my throttle cable tight by making a little spacer to get it away from the bars a bit.
You have a pict of spacer?
Im also a finger throttle fan
Be rough to go back to thumb

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
If it’s a finger throttle, that’s how they work.
The guys here have taken them off because it’s a safety issue.

Kind
I still have the stock throttle. I noticed the cable is tie wrapped to the front of the airbox and it seems a bit tight. That might be my issue.

Now should we say thumb throttles are unsafe he should take it off. Just trying to say one is not really safer then the other they could both have rare issues in certain situations. I still believe wrapping the thumb around the bar is a huge safety gain.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
LOL I used a piece of 1/16” X 1” flat aluminum and a couple longer bolts for the clamp as you tighten the aluminum forms to the shape of the bars but I think longer bolts are a must. Remember just do the front half of the bars so you have more pull. Side cutters will cut the aluminum.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Thanks Tony for the tip-
Had a client come in that wanted a left throttle ( Gold finger style) went to install and noticed as per your post the thumb throttle was off and made the lefty throttle act a bit odd not to my liking.
Readjusted the OEM thumb throttle and all went as should.. This was on a 2020 850 with 85 miles on the clock.......

• Wow
Reactions: live2beel
S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Thanks Tony for the tip-
Had a client come in that wanted a left throttle ( Gold finger style) went to install and noticed as per your post the thumb throttle was off and made the lefty throttle act a bit odd not to my liking.
Readjusted the OEM thumb throttle and all went as should.. This was on a 2020 850 with 85 miles on the clock.......

Just to be clear I’m only talking about the Munster finger throttle I have no experience with any of the others.

Premium Features