• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermo -Bob Testing and results - Excellent

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey Guys,

I have installed and tested the 180 degree thermostat system from Thermo-Bob. The results and excellent. This system has a 180 thermostat and a bypass system making a closed loop with the coolant in your cylinder. The difference and big advantage is it does "not" leak coolant past the stat. With the 70 degree KTM thermostat, there are two machined bypass ports on the sides of the thermostat housing. Those allow the coolant to immediately flow through the thermostat to the radiators regardless of temperature. You can see this when you start your bike and immediately see steam and feel warmth on the tops of your radiators. The negative result of that system is that it circulates coolant continuously to the radiators and your engine never gets to a good operating temp, 180/190 degrees F.
With the Thermo-Bob system, there is "no" flow/by coolant to the radiators. The thermostat is sealed closed until the coolant reaches 180F. The re-circulation line in the Thermo-Bob recirculates cylinder coolant in a closed loop. The Coolant quickly climbs to 180F, only then is coolant allowed past the thermostat to the radiators. When the thermostat does open at 180F, It modulates flow and the temps observed stay consistent between 176 and 182 degrees. There is not a "cold flush" from the radiators. This is partly due to the recirc line feeding "hot" coolant into the return line from the radiators, warming the cold fluid.

In all conditions it has kept coolant temps in a good operating range which also helps heat the oil. I combined this system with a simple "closed cel foam" pad between the skid plate and belly of the case. The results after consecutive rides. Oil clear and "honey colored", oil level still in the sight glass approx 3/4 up the window. I had one test run in single degit temps and deep/dry powder. In those conditions I did get the familiar temp drop. I noticed however, when I got out of the deepest, dry pow, it would climb right back to 180'ish, which would vent the crank case of any moisture etc.

Here are pics of the install on a 2013 SXF450. I will be helping "Bill", the manufacturer, with determining fitment on all current makes and models. Excellent system that will add life and health to your snow bike.

For all info contact; Bill at, http://shop.watt-man.com/Thermo-Bobs_c4.htm
or contact your local power sports dealer for ordering.

P1010063 small.jpg P1010068 small.jpg P1010071 small.jpg P1010074 small.jpg P1010065 small.jpg

Last edited:

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
thermo

mtn-doo, you mentioned fitment on other bikes, have you looked at a te510 husky? I would like to add this thermo if it could be adapted to a husky 510.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
installed on a wr 450, happy with temps, needed some creativity with install as the angles of fittings could have been altered. But send Bob pics and hopefully next wr's will be a bit tighter fit

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
mtn-doo, you mentioned fitment on other bikes, have you looked at a te510 husky? I would like to add this thermo if it could be adapted to a husky 510.

Have not yet? I would get one and go to your local auto parts dealer and get some pre-bent hoses after you eye-ball fit it. You will get a good fit I'm sure. Very well worth the effort!!!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Do you think the Kx 450 kit would be my best chance for a fit on a 2013 crf450r?

The CR is a pretty easy fit. I would not order one from Bill for a KX to fit your CR. I would get the universal kit and start there. You can get a good fit on the CR. Its one of the easier ones.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Looks good.

reminds me of the stock t-stats on the XP's when they came out. bet they would work great too.

pretty much everyone that had an XP has one in their garage somewhere, as most guys changed them out to the colder billet ones to get the coolant temps lower. probably perfect temp for a 4-stroke though.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Looks good.

reminds me of the stock t-stats on the XP's when they came out. bet they would work great too.

pretty much everyone that had an XP has one in their garage somewhere, as most guys changed them out to the colder billet ones to get the coolant temps lower. probably perfect temp for a 4-stroke though.
i think the XP ones are less then $40 when i had to buy one last?

PST

Premium Member
Aug 10, 2013
Roberts, Montana
Thermobob work great

Have Thermobob for two season on a carbed crf 450 . Even temps and easy to install. 05-08 will fit with two 90 degree brass fittings. Also use Trail tech TTO temp gauge to monitor temps.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
Fitting the thermobob and the trail tech gauge on my steel frame
KX 500 is extremely difficult. No room on this beast without moving
things around. If anyone has done it I would love to hear about it!

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
I'm working on putting a CR450 kit up at the site. I'll be working with PST to see which hose length he used and brass fitting angles.

Please post back on what you find out. Go to order a kit this week. I would be more than happy to be one of your test bikes for a new kit. Please PM on ordering details.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I will also be contacting watt-man with the KX450F fitting details shortly. Then the RMZ will be next. We will have the major brands covered for everyone. The SXF and XCF will be the same.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Easy fitment on the yz450s efi bikes lots of room only thing i needed was a 1/8" pipe to 3/8" barb 45 dergree for bypass connection

photo (4).jpg

W
I now have CRF450X (2005-2014) and CRF450R (2005-2008) kits on the shelf, I need to put them up at the website but they're available- just send me an email and phone number.

Same goes for YZF450s, 2006 and up. On the shelf.

ANYONE KNOW "MARC V" WITH A 2007 CRF450R? His e-mail is bouncing so my replies are not making it to him.

Thanks,

Premium Features