• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Teach Me How To Use Clutch Alignment Tool

B

Brett Slagle

This is a factory Cat alignment tool that I bought for my 2009 M1000. Offset is 1.655, per the direction of Michelle at Oregon Trail. I received it and thought it would be pretty obvious to figure out, but I’m just not sure what the correct way of using it is! I feel pretty dumb starting a thread on this, but I need to be set straight. So my first question is, which way does it go? Picture 1, 2, 3 or 4?

After that, what is the correct way to lay it against the clutches? I took more pictures that may be helpful to use as a reference, but someone can probably just quickly explain and I’ll get it. I’ve used the alignment bars that wrap around the primary and rest on the outside of the secondary, but this is a new ball game for me and no direction I put the bar seems to make sense. As always, your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Brett

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0538.jpg

I can't for the life of me find what measurement "C" should be. Somewhere I have all that info. Think it must be at work.

I've been checking my belt to sheave clearance and making C half of it. Seems to work well. I just use the bar for checking parellelism though.

For offset I pull all the washers behind the secondary, leave the mounting bolt loose, then throw a belt on and fire it up on a stand, let the track stop on its own. Then I take a dial indicator with a vice grip setup for doing car brakes and measure how far back the secondary moves to hit the dd. that's how thick your shims should be. This gets the belt lined up squarely in the primary without a doubt.

Premium Features

Back