• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Taiga Motors Electric Snowmobile

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I'm excited for this technology, electric dirt bikes are very impressive already and this will be a savior of motorsports in the long run as we eliminate noise and air pollution which are currently the biggest complaints. It has a ways to go, but it will get there.
Please don't get sucked into that camp. There isn't much worse pollution than a beautiful prairie inundated with a bunch of ugly windmills or solar panels. Batteries are storage only. Battery powered vehicles burn coal for energy. Manufacturing and disposal of batteries is off the charts pollution. Modern engines are very quiet and incredible at producing power and, by comparison, to say a jet airplane, pollute virtually nothing.

On another note, it would be interesting to see a hybrid sled.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I actually care less about the green side of things and more about functionality. Electric vehicles require nowhere near the maintenance of fueled ones. Batteries are energy storage but that is all gasoline is too. Torque from an electric motor is instant and has a very flat curve unlike gas engines. Tech is going to improve and like it or not this is the future. A sled I never have to change a belt on regularly, not have to add gas or oil, worry about a piston failing, clutch exploding etc and goes where my 800 does now, I am in. Might carry a mini genset to drop on long rides instead of a jerry can. I realize that is burning fuel but I will still have 70% of the moving parts of sled removed and no noise. no noise on gas sled, something bad happened.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Please don't get sucked into that camp. There isn't much worse pollution than a beautiful prairie inundated with a bunch of ugly windmills or solar panels. Batteries are storage only. Battery powered vehicles burn coal for energy. Manufacturing and disposal of batteries is off the charts pollution. Modern engines are very quiet and incredible at producing power and, by comparison, to say a jet airplane, pollute virtually nothing.

Should I get sucked in to your camp instead and ignore the benefits to push an agenda that makes no sense? I know enough about this that you're not gonna change my opinion with bull**** claims like that.

Windmills and solar panels aesthetics are the worst pollution?? GTFO.

Battery powered vehicles get there energy from whatever source you connect them to, sometimes thats coal, often its not.

I said noise and air pollution are the biggest complaints we face, and the reason riding areas are getting shut down, this will address both of those issues, whether it is actually a net enviromental benefit or not. If you remove the source of complaints, they'll give up or move on to an even more ridiculous claim.

It also has loads of other benefits: minimal maintanence/setup/tuning, quicker response, no power loss at elevation, etc. Go look at e-MX bikes, guys are loving them and it is the future of those sports.

I cant wait to have a dirt bike I can ride almost anywhere, my old 2-stroker gets ridden once or twice a year if I'm lucky because there's nowhere to ride them anymore, with an e-bike, I could build a track in my backyard.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
WOW!!!

This is a MUCH more positive discussion than in the facebook post in Sledderz or Sledderz 2.0. That was a mess.

I'm so glad to see this technology hitting the snow.
YES, I love my 2 stroke and love the braaaap.

BUT, I would also LOVE to do it in relative silence.
I've been saying for years, as long as the electric sled can charge fast, go a couple days on a charge, not compromise ANY weight or HP, the torque would be off the charts and it would be a blast.

Imagine this in the right chassis of your choice. Holy smokes that would be great.

NO loss of power at elevation. The 107 hp is same at sea level as it is at 10k.
Get that up to 150 and get the torque up over 200 and we have something CRAZY fun.

Yes, it's important to know where your buddies are and we do rely on hearing their engine. BUT, when they are stuck and the sled isn't running, we are using radios and GPS to find them. Sooooo, what's the problem. NO big whoop.
AND, we could CLEARLY talk with the BCA radios with an electric chassis.

WHEN THEY MEET MY CRITERIA, I WILL HAVE ONE!!!

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN

Excellent post. When it comes to energy, there is NO FREE LUNCH. Hydro power is probably the closest if it is integrated into a natural waterbody.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Should I get sucked in to your camp instead and ignore the benefits to push an agenda that makes no sense? I know enough about this that you're not gonna change my opinion with bull**** claims like that.

Windmills and solar panels aesthetics are the worst pollution?? GTFO.

Battery powered vehicles get there energy from whatever source you connect them to, sometimes thats coal, often its not.

I said noise and air pollution are the biggest complaints we face, and the reason riding areas are getting shut down, this will address both of those issues, whether it is actually a net enviromental benefit or not. If you remove the source of complaints, they'll give up or move on to an even more ridiculous claim.

It also has loads of other benefits: minimal maintanence/setup/tuning, quicker response, no power loss at elevation, etc. Go look at e-MX bikes, guys are loving them and it is the future of those sports.

I cant wait to have a dirt bike I can ride almost anywhere, my old 2-stroker gets ridden once or twice a year if I'm lucky because there's nowhere to ride them anymore, with an e-bike, I could build a track in my backyard.

Take a peek at the nickel mines and the battery factories that produce these batteries. Basically a complete environmental wasteland around the perimeters, but I bet buying that prius really helped save the environment! :face-icon-small-dis

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Take a peek at the nickel mines and the battery factories that produce these batteries. Basically a complete environmental wasteland around the perimeters, but I bet buying that prius really helped save the environment! :face-icon-small-dis

After your no info post in the wheat farmer thread. I woulda mistaken you for a retard. But after reading your posts in this thread....... well...... now I’m just confused about you.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
I guess an electric snowmobile would be quieter and have less maintenance, but I guarantee you the greenies would still be complaining that we are destroying the environment, the same skiers, snowboarders, snowshoers, etc. would still want to close riding areas because we’re using their forest and we’re in their way, and the list goes on and on. So I don’t think it would be end all.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN

I know that battery production and disposal is dirty business, I never said it wasn't. Oil production/transportation/consumption is very dirty as well, no one here is an enviromentalist, at least until batterys come up.

The top 2 complaints against snowmobiles are air and noise pollution, this will eliminate those. So if we get a better sled, with around the same lifecycle enviromental impact (more pollution to produce, less produced during use), and it addresses the top 2 complaints by the opposition, what are the drawbacks?

I guess an electric snowmobile would be quieter and have less maintenance, but I guarantee you the greenies would still be complaining that we are destroying the environment, the same skiers, snowboarders, snowshoers, etc. would still want to close riding areas because we’re using their forest and we’re in their way, and the list goes on and on. So I don’t think it would be end all.

They may well, but as I said, they'll have to come up with even more outrageous claims then since noise and air pollution won't be available for them anymore.

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017

There are extremists who would prefer to declare everything Wilderness, but they're in the minority. Most backcountry skiers I know are perfectly willing to share terrain, even if we'd all rather have acres upon acres of private powder to enjoy (let's face it, who wouldn't?).

The noise impact of someone on a two-stroke with an aftermarket can doing laps is huge, and the noise footprint often extends well beyond riding areas into neighboring non-motorized areas (with the low noise floor in the mountains, sound carries and all that, at least when the wind isn't loud enough to drown it out). The noise and smell of a two-stroke are serious turn-offs, particularly for those without a motorized recreation background.

My educated guess, as a skier, is that electric sleds would not only reduce the user conflict potential substantially (see also the Beartooth Pass/Gardiner Headwall discussion that the Winter Wildlands Alliance pushed last year), but also make skiers and snowboarders more likely to consider buying sleds for backcountry access. If that happens, you (a) have more people supporting the sled industry, and (b) have a lot of people whose primary interest in backcountry recreation is non-motorized who are suddenly a lot more sympathetic to motorized access.

Re: the pollution questions, yes, building the batteries (and the rest of the sled) is still a nasty process, as is extracting and refining petroleum. In Montana, we'd still be polluting plenty, because the electricity recharging the sled would probably come from a coal-fired plant...but on a global scale, it's a lot easier to address pollution at a smaller number of large-scale point sources than to address it on a much, much higher number of much smaller (and more mobile) point sources.

Personally, I'm looking forward to electric vehicles (particularly motos and sleds) becoming more widespread. I'd rather not reek of two-stroke and have oil splatters all over my jacket, and fewer moving parts sounds like a damn good thing to me. Yes, the recharging issue is still a damned big one, especially for playing in the mountains, and probably even in-town in Cooke (I doubt the electrical grid there would stand up to the challenge if every sled in town on a busy weekend was being recharged overnight). But the advantages—minimal direct pollution (noise and exhaust), fewer moving parts, instant torque—are huge, particularly when we reach the point where the range and recharging issues and sufficiently mitigated (I don't think "solve" is the right word, but if we can reach the point of being able to have all-day range and a substantial partial recharge in the time it takes to buy and eat a burger, we'd be in the same real-world ballpark as today's sleds and bikes).

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
After your no info post in the wheat farmer thread. I woulda mistaken you for a retard. But after reading your posts in this thread....... well...... now I’m just confused about you.

Not sure what you expect? I have never grown an acre of wheat in my life. I'm also a mechanical engineer, so pretty close to a retard. Idiot.

Last edited:

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I know that battery production and disposal is dirty business, I never said it wasn't. Oil production/transportation/consumption is very dirty as well, no one here is an enviromentalist, at least until batterys come up.

The top 2 complaints against snowmobiles are air and noise pollution, this will eliminate those. So if we get a better sled, with around the same lifecycle enviromental impact (more pollution to produce, less produced during use), and it addresses the top 2 complaints by the opposition, what are the drawbacks?

They may well, but as I said, they'll have to come up with even more outrageous claims then since noise and air pollution won't be available for them anymore.

I agree with you, my prediction for the advancement of sleds has always been electric, and synthetic materials to replace alloys. I was just making a point that electric vehicles are far from the green machines that the environmental whack jobs make them out to be. Don't even get me started on the cash for clunkers scam.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If it had the range of a current sled, and some type of ability to re-charge a couple of them in a reasonable amount of time off a small gene (in case you were camping or in a pinch), I would totally be in. No clutches, way more simple. Less friction with neighbors and other land users = good. Love the bark of a sled, but I could give that up for a simpler machine with less maintenance and less annoyance to others...if such a thing ever proves feasible.

Premium Features