• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supply and demand myA$$!!!

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Supply and demand my A$$!!!

Lastest article on yahoo how finished petroleum products are down 8.5% and gas demand is down 6.2%. That is a significant amount, especially considering the US supposedly consumes 80% of world resources.

BUT YET FUELAND OIL PRICES CONTINUE TO CLIMB!!!!! Oil dropped $3. Big dael, it's only transitory, and do you think we'll see that at the pumps?

Seems like if there is even a thought about a supply disruption the price jumps up drastically, but never does come down whether or not it came to pass or not.

Funny thing is, about all this talk about futures and supply disruptions, I have seen no evidence of any suply issues. As the article goes on and others I have read, our reserve is up.

I HATE taking it up the ARSE!!!

My rant for the day...Thanks.

Oh, hears the article

Oil drops as demand falls amid supply growth expectations By JOHN WILEN, AP Business Writer
15 minutes ago

Oil prices fell more than $3 a barrel Tuesday as the market absorbed data showing demand is falling even as supplies are rising. Meanwhile, gas prices inched higher at the pump, continuing their record-breaking press toward $4 a gallon.

A monthly Energy Department report said demand for finished petroleum products dropped 8.5 percent in February from January, and demand for gasoline fell by 6.2 percent. Though some of that drop can be attributed to February's being a shorter month, it still suggests high prices are cutting American's appetite for fuel.

"That's a dramatic drop," said Linda Rafield, senior oil analyst at Platts, the energy research arm of McGraw-Hill Cos.

At the same time, a British refinery strike that raised concerns about supplies ended Tuesday, and analysts surveyed by Platts expect the Energy Department's weekly inventory report on Wednesday to show domestic crude supplies rose last week.

"The two combined (rising supplies and falling demand) do not bode well for $120 oil," Rafield said.

Light, sweet crude for June delivery fell $3.12 to settle at $115.63 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

A stronger dollar gave investors another reason to sell crude Tuesday. Commodities such as oil are less effective hedges against inflation when the dollar is gaining ground, and a stronger greenback makes oil more expensive to investors overseas. Analysts believe oil's run from $65 a year ago to a record near $120 yesterday has been fueled in large part by the dollar's protracted decline.

Energy investors will be closely watching the Federal Reserve's decision on interest rates Wednesday; analysts believe a quarter percentage point rate cut is already factored into the oil market. A decision to hold rates steady could further strengthen the dollar, sending oil prices down. But because rate cuts tend to weaken the dollar, a larger than expected rate cut could send oil to new records over $120.

The market will also be keeping a close eye on Nigeria, a major U.S. supplier of oil, where a work slowdown and militant attacks have cut production.

"Nigeria's always a factor in oil prices, it's always had an ongoing issue with oil outages, but we're seeing a bit of an increased activity in militant attacks," said Mark Pervan, a senior commodity strategist at the ANZ Bank in Melbourne, Australia. "They'll keep a high floor on the price."

At the pump, the national average price of a gallon of unleaded gas rose 0.4 cent Tuesday to a record $3.607 a gallon Tuesday, according to a survey of stations by AAA and the Oil Price Information Service. Diesel prices rose 0.1 cent to a new record national average of $4.244 a gallon.

Many analysts expect gas prices to peak within the next month, and some say they could rise as high as $4 nationally. Many parts of the country, particularly in California and Hawaii, are already paying more than $4.

Gas prices have been following oil prices higher, but they have also responded to gasoline supply concerns. Platts' survey shows analysts predict the Energy Department report will show gasoline supplies fell last week.

Other energy futures followed oil lower Tuesday. In other Nymex trading, May gasoline futures fell 9.15 cents to settle at $2.9392 a gallon, and May heating oil futures fell 5.23 cents to settle at $3.2465 a gallon.

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
It is because gasoline is inelastic.....the demand of may have went down because of recent gas prices....but in the long run gas will remain a constant consumption. Does a higher tax on booze make you stop drinking it????

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I think the biggest problem is some moron put gas on the comodities market...cough cough Bush cough moron.
I'm not a stock broker but my uncle is and he said that was the DUMBIEST thing anyone could have done. Comodities as far as I know are usually get rich quick stocks, they go up and down quickly and are unstable.
Great idea lets put something the country depends on in a trading market that is unstable, but hey at least the big wigs are reaping all the rewards while the rest of us bust azz to pay for gas.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
I would give you rep poinst if I knew how!! +1000!!
I think the biggest problem is some moron put gas on the comodities market...cough cough Bush cough moron.
I'm not a stock broker but my uncle is and he said that was the DUMBIEST thing anyone could have done. Comodities as far as I know are usually get rich quick stocks, they go up and down quickly and are unstable.
Great idea lets put something the country depends on in a trading market that is unstable, but hey at least the big wigs are reaping all the rewards while the rest of us bust azz to pay for gas.

D
Feb 16, 2008
I think the article speaks for itself. It is supply and demand, even though it may not seem that way. The only way we're going to quit taking it in the rear, is by voting those in congress out, who refuse to drill in Anwar, refuse to let refineries expand or build new ones, or drill off shore, though other countries can. Unfortunatly, not one of the presidential canidates will drill in Anwar. Those poor caribou. It'd be a shame to disturb them. Another issue, is the different blends required for states. This also plays into refinery issues. Bush hit the nail on the head in his speech today imo. Congress is a major cause for why we are sitting where we are right now.

R

rickster

Dec 11, 2007
northwest Nebraska
It's more about profits than consumption. In fact the more "wweee" the consumers conserve and use less fossil fuels the higher the price has gone. The oil companies profits have actually increased while the country is using less fuel! One of the editors of the snowmobile magazines even predicted this some time ago. He said then the more we reduce consumption the higher the price per gallon will go inorder for the oil companies to keep their profit levels static. I said several years ago when we constantly saw the Memorial day raise in prices and the post labor day reduction that we where being conditioned to "sticker shock" concerning the price. The oil companies have succeeded in that we now "accept" $3.50 gas and $4.00 deisel. The bottom line is about money and many people in Congress as well as the Whitehouse are making money off you and me.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Conservation is BS.
What about Bush contracting 70k barrels a day to pump up our U.S. reserve which sits at 99% full right now? Americans as consumers slow down in our fuel consumption, Goverment buys up the surplus.
Fact is, we are no longer the only superpower on the world scene, and no longer dictate what the costs are. China and India are growing, and will buy. The Arabs don't care if goes to us or them just as long as their profits are up.
We haven't seen the price reflect the 120 barrel yet. Diesel will be $4.5 toward the end of May.

Did anybody get their $600 check yet??? Borrowed money from Mexico, when it comes time to collect and U.S. can't pay, which peice of land do you think they'll want first???

T
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
The folks up top know what they are doing......splitting the classes....upper and lower class, forget about the middle class. I say this is the first step in eliminating the middle class. Spending $60/wk for gas on a car that gets 30mpg is rediculous, $15K/year for retirement, high car and house insurance, and yet try to buy groceries ($150/wk) makes it quite difficult to justify having a average professional career. If your not making the $mills, your best off making nothing......Evidentally, they are trying to control global warming in 6-months by shutting down the economy.

And yes, I find it hard to believe that drilling more oil will diminish the price of oil, I believe it is just more area for more profit at the same price of gas. Gas/oil companies need to start finding economical ways of producing gas, just like car companies need to consistantly find cheaper methods to produce autos.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
You want to see a drop in gas prices, let some new companies build refineries. And get rid of the summer/winter "special" blend requirements. A little competition always drives prices and improves efficiencies. All the oil companies have been lumped together in super corporations, with unsustainable profit expectations. Let some new companies start up.

B
Nov 21, 2005
9 Mile Falls, WA
You want to see a drop in gas prices, let some new companies build refineries. And get rid of the summer/winter "special" blend requirements. A little competition always drives prices and improves efficiencies. All the oil companies have been lumped together in super corporations, with unsustainable profit expectations. Let some new companies start up.

That's what I was thinking... Ridiculous gov regulations make new start ups very difficult in that industry.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Commodities are not stocks.
Bush did not put gasoline on the commodities market.
Also, Al Gore did not discover global warming nor did he create the internet.

The reason gas is so high is because there is no resonable economic alternative, constricted refinement, and short term EMOTIONAL influences.

Plus the USA is inept with any energy policy.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
We've shown that we are mostly willing and able to pay the 3.50-4.00/ gallon for fuel. What motivation do the oil co's have to drop prices??? To reduce their profits???
And since barral prices are based on the US dollar and our dollar is in the pooper, how much has oil REALLY gone up, vs how much the dollar has declined??? And what has caused the dollar to fall?? What can be done to bring up the value of the US dollar (which will drastically bring down oil prices)??? :beer;

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
oil is traded on the futures market/ nymex

if someone could find out how to extract the methane hydates off the east coast we could all run propane for three lifetimes and still not make a dent in it:eek:

turbo propane dragon; sounds cool:cool:

mc2stroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
biofuel...

That is it I'm going to start saving money... I'm going to go sh*t in my tank and see if it works...:eek:

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I think the biggest problem is some moron put gas on the comodities market...cough cough Bush cough moron.QUOTE]

Sorry, cough cough, but petroleum was added to the NYMEX futures market in 1983, cough cough. Do a little research, or at the very least, stop listening to your "uncle the stock broker". Hope your retirement isn't counting on his market knowledge. :rolleyes: :beer;

And the president doesn't have the power to "put" anything on any market unless he owns a prively traded company that goes public.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
We've shown that we are mostly willing and able to pay the 3.50-4.00/ gallon for fuel. What motivation do the oil co's have to drop prices??? To reduce their profits???
And since barral prices are based on the US dollar and our dollar is in the pooper, how much has oil REALLY gone up, vs how much the dollar has declined??? And what has caused the dollar to fall?? What can be done to bring up the value of the US dollar (which will drastically bring down oil prices)??? :beer;

ohh good points.

Also agree with Wade, wtf is so damned important to have summer and winter blends?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
What people seem to forget, is that China and India now are major players (and ever increasing) in demand for oil.

So if oil demand goes down in America, that does little if anything to affect the barrel price of oil. India and China need every drop we do not use.......

Same will be true of Food in the future.

The rice shortage is just a glimpse of what we have in store in the future for food prices.......

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I think the biggest problem is some moron put gas on the comodities market...cough cough Bush cough moron.QUOTE]

Sorry, cough cough, but petroleum was added to the NYMEX futures market in 1983, cough cough. Do a little research, or at the very least, stop listening to your "uncle the stock broker". Hope your retirement isn't counting on his market knowledge. :rolleyes: :beer;

And the president doesn't have the power to "put" anything on any market unless he owns a prively traded company that goes public.

Like I said I'm not a stock broker so what is this http://money.cnn.com/data/commodities/
And I hope your smart azz doesn't constantly keep you in the hospital.

And your partially right crude oil is on they nymex market NOT gasoline and I made the mistake of saying commodities is a market which it is not.....sorry for my huge F-up and feeling the need to slam me and my family.

Last edited:
Premium Features