• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X compared to Freeride

S

samsquatch47

I know its a 30 pound weight difference due to the added bracing and shocks on the freeride. What I'm wondering is now that the freeride is in the XM chassis really how much harder will it be to carve and manuver? I really like the added strength of the freeride because I love to jump and ride hard. I just don't want to go with a freeride then hate it in the trees. It seems like a waste of money to convert it to the narrower stance becasue you lose the nicer shocks. Looking for honest Doo rider opinions.
Note: Im 6 5" 215 pounds so I have no problem throwing a sled around. I'm currently on a race gas Impulse Nytro. Tired of the weight.
Thanks

Samsquatch, if you are throwing around the Nytro, the Freeride will feel like a feather! I fly my XMX all over the place and have not seen any stress cracks from hard landings and what not, the Freeride comes with the KYB40 shocks which is a huge bonus. I think either one would be a huge improvement. I am very happy with the 800ETEC juice was used to a turboed 1200 146". I too got tired of the weight. Take one for a ride, you will Spring order one immediately.

Take care and think POW!

Samsquatch, if you are throwing around the Nytro, the Freeride will feel like a feather! I fly my XMX all over the place and have not seen any stress cracks from hard landings and what not, the Freeride comes with the KYB40 shocks which is a huge bonus. I think either one would be a huge improvement. I am very happy with the 800ETEC juice was used to a turboed 1200 146". I too got tired of the weight. Take one for a ride, you will Spring order one immediately.

Take care and think POW!

Thanks for the reply :). I got a short ride on a 13' 163X XM a couple weeks back and loved every second. I could not believe even how much easier it is then the XP! Eventually Im going to TSS turbo the XM so I'm thinking the X would be less work. I'd have to extend the freeride to make it rideable I think with boost. But on the other hand I'm going to be hitting things way harder and faster with boost so maybe the extra freeride strength would be nice? Hmmm. Decisions decisions

Buy the XM as an SP, grip and rip bracing, exit, raptor or fox shocks, new bars and you have your own summit freeride. That's what I would do if looking at a 14. Or better yet find a low miles 13 and do the same.

Buy the XM as an SP, grip and rip bracing, exit, raptor or fox shocks, new bars and you have your own summit freeride. That's what I would do if looking at a 14. Or better yet find a low miles 13 and do the same.

Hmmm another great idea! Too bad guys around here are asking new prices for 13's. So no benefit lol.

Also interested in this as I'm most likely going to be snow checking a 14 freeride. Didn't know there was a 30lb weight difference between that and the standard summit? I'm 6'2 225lbs so throwing a sled around isn't really an issue. I'm coming off an 08 M1000 and people always complained about the weight of that sled but I never noticed...Keep the opinions coming!

Also interested in this as I'm most likely going to be snow checking a 14 freeride. Didn't know there was a 30lb weight difference between that and the standard summit? I'm 6'2 225lbs so throwing a sled around isn't really an issue. I'm coming off an 08 M1000 and people always complained about the weight of that sled but I never noticed...Keep the opinions coming!

Yep weight diff is right off the skidoo dry weights on their site. All the specs are up now. This was comparing a 154X to 154 Freeride

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361850371.404625.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361850390.739878.jpg

These pics highlight all the extra reinforcements that are on the Freeride that aren't on the X. These are the same braces the Race XRS has too :). Also has rail stiffeners and the wider front end which I guess all add up.

Those highlighted green parts plus rail stiffeners don't look like they should add up to 30lbs...is there something I'm missing?

Can't recall which one, but on the XRS I thought the S and/or E modules were thickner than std XP bulkheads

Can't recall which one, but on the XRS I thought the S and/or E modules were thickner than std XP bulkheads

Yea think your right. Crappy part is I think that's one part off the race sled they didn't carry over to the freeride. I know from 10 and up the true RS race sled E module can be ordered in separate pieces and is different then all the other sleds. Are the freeride modules the same? Guy would have to have a DOO insider to know for sure. If you look into snocross forums racers with 08,09 RS' switch the modules to newer ones if they are damaged.

weight increase is coming from rail stiffeners, bracing, wider running boards, and shocks, shocks are adding a good chunk of that weight. I've owned both.. personally the Freeride 154 is a great sled but so is the X. Depending on the riding you do a large majority of the Freeride's sold, are sold to the wrong customer.. The Summit X with whatever bracing you want Grip N Rip or others, as well as shocks/running boards of your choice are is the better option I believe.

I love my Freeride, I destroyed the suspension in my previous summit so the Freeride made perfect sense to me. I run with the skiis set at the narrow position and have no issues weaving thru the trees or sailing off the jumps. The 2014 Freeride looks just amazing in the XM chassis

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

freeride

The freeride has a different rear suspension. The front shock is more vertical made to climb hard hills and take massive airs. I think there is way less transfer in the skid looking at the geometry ( I have never ridden one ) I think this would be the ideal sled to turbo and leave every thing else stock. I am guessing with t motion and flex edge you will have 0 issues carving and it will take a jump like a big dog.

The freeride has a different rear suspension. The front shock is more vertical made to climb hard hills and take massive airs. I think there is way less transfer in the skid looking at the geometry ( I have never ridden one ) I think this would be the ideal sled to turbo and leave every thing else stock. I am guessing with t motion and flex edge you will have 0 issues carving and it will take a jump like a big dog.

This is only on the 2011 freeride. And the race version in 2012 & 13. The regular 12 and 13 had the same skid as a regular summit with better shocks....

Premium Features

Back