• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summer trip advise for my wife and I

B

Berg570FE

Oct 21, 2009
Cle Elum Wa
I apologize for the summer topic while it's still sledding season. Still good snow here, I just have concerns about camping reservations in the NP.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Glacier NP and elsewhere in Montana. We are VERY avid dirt bikers and plan on a week in our RV.

We first want to camp in Glacier NP for a few days, then, moving on to another area to ride our bikes and camp. This is where I'm hoping you "Montanians" can help us. I know Idaho areas well, but know very little about trail riding areas in western Montana.

So, where might you guys suggest "moving camp" to after we leave Glacier NP?
I respect not wanting the world knowing your trail systems, so PM me if this is a concern.

The wife is pretty excited to finally take a "solo" out of state dirt biking vacation without our group. I'm hoping for your help in order for me to have a plan and be as awesome as my wife might think I am!! Lol!

But seriously, any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
There are very few areas you can ride a bike where you can't take your truck.

Many many many dirt roads in Montana are gated for walk-in travel only with no motorized use (except sleds).

BUT, a good place to camp is Lake Alva (north of Seeley). A LOT of logging roads around there in the summer. The Seeley are is great for that. You can ride to Missoula, Holland Lake, Jocko Lakes, Arlee, Placid Lake and everywhere in between through the mountains if you hit the right roads.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Pipestone near butte is a great area. Lots of two track and really good single track. It is an ohv area so don't expect to be alone. Like Scott said, if you want to ride in the mountains it will be logging roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if your gonna hit up GNP

the whole north fork of the flathead ahread is amazing, lots of old logging roads to run on bikes. nothing insane, but fun and very scenic. the pole bridge area has some cool stuff all around if you want to camp bike and just take in some great country.

as for single track biking, down around the hungry horse damn and accompanying lake there are some really cool roads and trails as well.

also depends a lot on skill level, there is some wild riding up there but most stuff that i would rate as moderate to expert level, especially depending on the season as there will be snow drifts pretty late this year.

B

Berg570FE

Oct 21, 2009
Cle Elum Wa
This is great help, thank you all for your advise!

We would like to ride/camp as close to the Glacier NP area as we can.
As for trail difficulty, well, that's a great point. My wife can handle tougher trails if she knows them. But out of state, new and remote trails by ourselves? Ya . . . I'm not getting lucky on this trip then.

So, where of these areas you guys have so kindly mentioned has good camping, old roads and great scenery and would be somewhat close to Glacier?

We are planning on the last weekend in July. Is this still too early?

Thanks again guys, Snowest is an odd way of gathering this intel, but it has seemed to have worked! Husaberg forum isn't much help!! Lol!

Hope to sled West Yellowstone someday too!

B

Berg570FE

Oct 21, 2009
Cle Elum Wa
BB4B5DDB-FACC-4D81-AC6A-77B832D01C1A-9840-00000BA13A9811DA_zpsa12e838c.jpg

B

Berg570FE

Oct 21, 2009
Cle Elum Wa
Thanks

We have reservations at Fish Creek Campground for August 1st-3rd. So on Sunday, we are going to head out of the park and go for the Hungry Horse Res.

Wheel House Motorsports, or someone, would you be able to PM me a little more info on this area? Or, what Ranger district to call at least? We have a huge a$$ now rig so Im afraid to go "exploring" up into the mountain with little knowledge of the area. We would VERY much appreciate it!

The Apex is put away for the year, and the Husabergs and the KTM are out!

Thanks guys, really looking forward to this Montana trip.

B

Berg570FE

Oct 21, 2009
Cle Elum Wa
Randman,

Thank you for your response. We needed a site that could be reserved and would accommodate a 38ft rig. So, that left us with Fish Creek Campground. I hope it will still be ok.

This is the reason for my interest in more information on where to camp near Hungry horse too. Im so stoked for this!

Premium Features