• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stupid Question!!! Sorry!!!

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
If I can spin my primary clutch with no resistance at all does that mean that my crank end broke or is it something else? The engine is 03 800 escape.

Thanks for your help.

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
hmmm good question... does it spin when you pull it over? take the bolt out does it fall off? im guessing either your clutch is screwed or your crank is severly messed up

The engine will run but you can grab the primary and just hold it. I pulled the bolt off the primary and tugged on it pretty good and it didn't move.

X
Jan 14, 2006
?????????i am lost
yep sounds like a broken crank,,,,if you are looking fix it ,get a hold of me I have what you need,I am parting out the same sled,tried to sell it whole but could not get enough,and I have a -0- mile motor with 3 year bottom end waranty.i think I have the top half sold,so I could make you a good deal on the bottom end.xsx

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
did you check if there was play in the crank by trying to pull the clutch up and down and back and forth

my brother took his crank out last year and it would still run and the only way we figured it was the crank was the very little play there was by pulling the clutch up and down and left and right... if there is no play there then i think something broke loose and the end of the crank or in your clutch

im no expert by anymeans but thats what i would look for

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
did you check if there was play in the crank by trying to pull the clutch up and down and back and forth

my brother took his crank out last year and it would still run and the only way we figured it was the crank was the very little play there was by pulling the clutch up and down and left and right... if there is no play there then i think something broke loose and the end of the crank or in your clutch

im no expert by anymeans but thats what i would look for

what difference does it make?? He obviously has a facked crank or stub and needs a new one, it cant be a problem with the clutch or
a. it would have fallen off
b. if the inner sheave was spinning independantly of the outer sheave/spider he sure wouldn't be sticking his hand in there to stop it without losing a finger or 2

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
yep broken crank the 03 and 04 800 poos were famous for that. both of mine did it. breaks off right at the bearing. best fix is to send the crank and cases to i think its a polaris dealer in spokane. He puts a bigger bearing on the pto side. and new crank. does awsome work. cheap and fast.

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
Thanks for the help guys. I figured it was the crank again. The crank broke last year but the engine wouldn't even turn over last time so I thought maybe it was different this time. The sad thing is I had a new crank with a new case and big boy bearing kit with a torque plate and torque stops put in and the primary was sent to SLP and totally rebuilt when it broke in the middle of last season.
Looks like my riding season is done before it even started.

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
yep sounds like a broken crank,,,,if you are looking fix it ,get a hold of me I have what you need,I am parting out the same sled,tried to sell it whole but could not get enough,and I have a -0- mile motor with 3 year bottom end waranty.i think I have the top half sold,so I could make you a good deal on the bottom end.xsx

I probably can't afford it but PM sent.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Same thing happened to me. Put 4000 miles on the stock crank, sent it to SLP, and bought a new crank from them and had their bearing installed on it. It broke after only 700 miles. They will not warranty it, I called and they said send it to them and they will try to fix it for 5 or 600 dollars. I sent it to Indydan and had it fixed right with a 3 year warranty. I think SLP has really nice stuff and the guys in the machine shop do great work, but I think their Tough Boy Bearing is a POS. Just my .02. Here are the pictures. The crank broke in the center of where the SLP bearing was installed.

BTW If it's broke like mine. you can not use a puller to get the clutch off. Indydan welded the crank back together and then pulled it off.

crank 16.jpg crank 19.jpg

Reactions: UtahEdge

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
Same thing happened to me. Put 4000 miles on the stock crank, sent it to SLP, and bought a new crank from them and had their bearing installed on it. It broke after only 700 miles. They will not warranty it, I called and they said send it to them and they will try to fix it for 5 or 600 dollars. I sent it to Indydan and had it fixed right with a 3 year warranty. I think SLP has really nice stuff and the guys in the machine shop do great work, but I think their Tough Boy Bearing is a POS. Just my .02. Here are the pictures. The crank broke in the center of where the SLP bearing was installed.

BTW If it's broke like mine. you can not use a puller to get the clutch off. Indydan welded the crank back together and then pulled it off.

I know of one other guy that sounds like the same problem that you and I had.

When it broke this last time I called the shop that did the work the first time and he laughed in my face. I know its not his fault that the new parts failed.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Sorry to hear your sled is down for the same thing as last year, i remember the story and cant imagine not riding when its time to ride:(

Take the engine apart, call around and find a decent crank and maybe some good folks here will chip in to help a good guy out, i will:beer;

You have $100 from me to fund the effort, its the least i can do

Also, i have a co-worker who is a diehard poo 800 nerd, he is in the same boat each year with the old 800 crank, you can take the sled to my house and we can tear it apart for you if you wish

Reactions: UtahEdge

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
The bearing job they do in Spokane doesn't have the gap in between the bearings like the slp fix. So no room for flex. And there larger diameter he machines the cases out. I also ran the torque plate and torque arms. Mine is over 2500miles now running NOS and twin pipes, high compression head.

Premium Features