• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Straight pipe melting side panel?

I've been reading on here that some guys running straight pipes have been melting their side panel and belly pan. I am curious if anyone can explain to me why this is happening cause I am curious. It makes no sense to me that if you put a free flowing pipe on there with no restrictions that it can create and disperse more heat than a muffler with chambers that retain heat because of the path inside the muffler the exhaust has to take before exiting. I'm curious if its because of air flow issuses or if there is something I don't know about how these beasts run! ? I'm all ears to hear people's thoughts on why this might be happening and people's experiences with aftermarket exhausts, especially straight pipes.

Thanks!

R

ReaperMotorsports

Mar 19, 2009
Mantorville, Minnesota
I havent had any problems running my custom 3" straight pipe the exits out the side wrapped in exhaust wrap, last year I didnt have it wrapped and had the stock downpipe on it and still didnt have problems. I have my battery located in the same area and have no problems. Like you said its a free flowing system nothing is holding the heat in.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
If you have a look at the stock muffler, that muffler is insulated pretty well. The heat does not get as much of a chance to transfer because of the insulation.

Heat evacuation is not as good on any non insulated muffler/pipe set ups, as there is nothing to stop the heat from transferring to other components of the sled (Side panels for example)

U

undercat

Dec 1, 2007
sk,Canada
straight pipe

went to a aftermarket can which produced quite abit of heat,then went to a straight pipe and no prob with heat at all.you can actually put your hand on it and its barely warm.running mbrp straight pipe with alittle venting by my knee pads.

Last edited:

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Turbo Dynamics 3"

My TD 3" exhaust gets hotter than a firecracker! Its better now with the venting and other mods. I'm putting my EVO blankets in tonight and wrapping the exhaust with 2" wide black header wrap. This should help substantially.

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
my DD racing straight pipe got warm but never melted anyhting but i still put heat warp on just for better under hood temps

UtahEdge

Premium Member
Sep 19, 2003
Syracuse, Utah
My straight pipe melted the h3ll out of my belly pan that the side panel sits in and just my luck the right side is more than twice the price of the left side. It hasnt done anything to the side panel though. Im not sure how it happend.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Heat Hot WOW!!!

On some of our sleds the D&D got hotter than H*ll
it is way thin and the heat just radiates from it. No melting of the belly pan or rubber seal thought
..I am running the cat vented side panels and the D&D made it's modification from the heat.....ZERO insulation- plenty of reflective foil tape.... If someone wants the this straight pipe I will make them a heck of a deal.....Running EVO 2.5 and way way less of an issue.
Sitll header wrapping the down pipe.....:heh:

S/C

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
The only thing I can see happening with the straight pipes is that the pipe is so skinny compared to any muffler set up, that the heat starts to radiate from a point that is further away from any panels and has a chance to dissipate.

I would just take that fabric header wrap, and wrap the heck out of any aftermarket can or straight pipe set up. Contain that heat as long as possible.

If all else fails, go to home depot and get that water heater blanket and wrap that around it,,, LOL

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
Its got a little blue to it and is polished stainless steal. I will take some pics tonight. I got a bunch of work to do on it anyway. Got 4 days of hard riding down by Wolf Creek this weekend so we will see if things change.

M
Jan 13, 2010
wasilla, alaska
My stock muffler melted small areas and reshaped most of the plastics. The aftermarket exhaust I have now and one previously was a lot cooler. I don't think the stock exhaust let the engine breathe enough. Stock, I couldn't even touch the metal where the seat heat switch is.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
SIMPLE FIX HAS ALWAYS BEEN HEAT TAPE! ANOTHER GOOD THING TO DO ALSO IS PAINT THE INSIDE OF YOUR PANEL WHITE OR SILVER WHERE YOU NEED TO!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features