• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steamboat, or kremmling. Never been to co

S

swovay696

A few of us plan on going to one or the other around the 15th of april. Only riding for 3-4 days. Never been to CO, but are experienced mountain riders. Looking for a cheap, but clean motel to stay. what parking areas to ride out of, and and other general pointers. Not looking for anyone's secret spot,"unless you want to PM me haha", but more less get pointed in the general direction. With only a few days of riding, id like to get a good plan of attack. Thanks!!!!

Stay in Kremmling at the Allington. Easy drive up the hill to the pass. Ask them about the snowmobile discount. Stop by Alpine Motorsports (home of Vohk) while you are there. They'd be happy to take some of your money in exchange for some cool stuff.

Nice little town with a nice bar (or two) within walking distance from the Hotel. Rocky Mountain Bar if I recall is the one we like. Also a cafe for some great breakfast also only a block away from the Hotel.

We park at the Dumont parking lot and ride north or south from there. Watch for the non-motorized areas.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5274222.pdf

Last edited:
If you're looking for night life, Steamboat.Kremmling's a pretty sleepy town but probably less expensive.
As far as riding,park at Muddy Creek lot 1 mile or so north of CO 14 on right coming from Kremmling,or Dumont lot 1/2 mile past that.Look around,most people head north towards Tower,but crossing road and riding other side or heading south towards Columbine Snotel has good riding also.

Look me up I might be riding when you're here

Hey thanks. Sounds like kremmling. Like to have a few beers on vacation, but would rather make the most out of our trip with riding, especially with the limited time we will be out there. Thanks again

you could also look at Walden and catch the buff pass trail. it's a little bit of a rough trail ride to the better riding areas though.

you could also look at Walden and catch the buff pass trail. it's a little bit of a rough trail ride to the better riding areas though.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does that trail out of grizzly creek get groomed anymore? It about killed me last Saturday, but I had expected it with that much new snow and traffic.

the owner of the north park inn in walden said they quite or lost funding this year for that area. Not sure what is all behind that. This was the first time i had ever been there but he said it normally has been in the past. we road friday and saturday and took the beating but sunday we road out of gould because of how bad it got saturday on the way down.

If that's the case that's bs. The out of state snowmobile permit revenue has had to have quadrupled in the past few years. Where is that money going?? My hunch is it is being used elsewhere to fund more 'liberal' outdoor activities. Didn't they make a another parking area up top off hwy40? Is it not getting plowed?

P.S the trails were ridiculous last weekend.

yes you are correct it was crazy deep thursday and friday, but by saturday afternoon on the way down the trail was ridiculous. not sure where the money is going but he said that him and the local club are trying to put the money together to get their own groomer. i rather pay them the $30 for a non-resident sticker if they are going to the be the ones grooming it then pay the state.

yes you are correct it was crazy deep thursday and friday, but by saturday afternoon on the way down the trail was ridiculous. not sure where the money is going but he said that him and the local club are trying to put the money together to get their own groomer. i rather pay them the $30 for a non-resident sticker if they are going to the be the ones grooming it then pay the state.
That's how most places are, its a local club with there own groomer,.

I stay at the Steamboat Hotel in Steamboat. Right on 40, same road as parking to ride. $79/night. Still get the nightlife and i think it's a shorter drive to rabbit ears. Steamboat has a free bus that runs. There's a stop in the parking lot of the hotel

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Is there still going to be some decent riding next weekend?! Is there any snow in the forecast for up in the mountains?
Thanks

Is there still going to be some decent riding next weekend?! Is there any snow in the forecast for up in the mountains?
Thanks
At least a month of good spring riding at Rabbit Ears or longer at Vail Pass(VP is at 10600').Snow level is about 9500' today.Rain/snow mix at valley level (9k).Riding at V/P in AM.Hoping for a spring powder day.
I ride R/E pretty much every year on Mothers Day weekend.I've rode V/P into late May,depending on the year.
March and April are our biggest snowfall months in Summit County.Arapahoe Basin one of the local ski areas with a base elevation the same as V/P has got 10 feet in April before. Some people ride later than late May but I switch to jetski's.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back