• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

St. Helens - Marble Mountain Conditions?

OooI was up there Saturday and Sunday. Snow is pretty thin. Saturday there was water was flowing at lahar, Sunday it was frozen.

I didn't try to get to the plains but I talked to some guys that said they made it up there but you have to work through the trees to get some altitude before crossing over the flow.. They said there was more snow up higher but it was pretty icy Sunday. They said it wasn't anything great.

Looks like rain in the forecast not sure what that's going to do to what little snow is there.

Screenshot_20180102-191956.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday ride.
Plenty deep. Nowhere near Helen's though....
81ae6118fe8acbc8106885c64615bf19.jpg

Mountain Cat

Anyone go up since the 13th? Curious what this week brought. Last saturday there was pavement on the trail!!

June Lake snotel is showing roughly 12" of new snow in the last 24 hours and a decent dusting is forcasted for tonight but the temp's are hovering right at freezing. It remains to be seen how far down the snow has come as the june lake snotel is at 4440', marble mountian snowpark 2700' and bottom of lahar 3000'. I plan on going up there tomorrow to scratch the itch at the very least. Will post some details Sat. evening

Went up to Helens today. Packed snowpark but that was to be expected with the lack of snow this year and this being the first decent dumping in a while. Overall the trip was ho hum, there is enough snow on trail headed up but did feel asphalt in a few areas. Bottom of Lahar going up is a slow go with lots of exposed rocks and winding around all the trees. Higher up there was roughly 2' of fresh but wet and heavy. Problem was visibility was to bad to climb to high and nobody was able to cross the shoe sting glacier chute (that I seen) to access the plains. So all the riders were funneled in a fairly tight area which was torn to shreds fairly quick. A few more feet of snow is really needed but if you can get to roughly ~4000 ft in elevation you don't need to be as careful.

Thanks for the update. We are heading to Marble tomorrow (Mon. 1/22) if anyone wants to join us. Be there about 9:00. White Dodge with sled deck. Not sure what to expect with the snow level jumping around today.

Was up today, and it's DEEP!
Maybe too deep...?
Nutz to nips all over the place off the trail!
Everywhere you saw sleds, you saw shovels throwing snow....

Go get some this weekend, insanely real up there!!!

thedon.jpg

thedon1.jpg

Last edited:
heavy and deep. people on sleds, bikes and even tracked RZRs getting stuck.
I was on a bike with a narrow ski. so the front end would dive and then the snow would turn to concrete. I did a stoppie on one slope. I need a new ski. Still a good day.

The new snow has not yet settled into a good base. An avalanche came down Shoestring glacier. When you get off your sled, you can step into a hole and be up to your armpits in a second. Very bumpy in heavy snow. If it is cloudy in Woodland, it will be raining on the Lahar. Only 18" to 24" of packed snow on the road out to Lahar. The trees keep growing taller every year, so eventually the area around Shoestring glacier creek will be a forest.

Premium Features

Back