• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Someone Buried at Placer

it began as a great day untracked snow and we were busting trail all the way in,i was in the group with the two that got burried, it was a terrain trap and we had no where to go once we realised what was happening. We were able to locate the first victim but he was deceised the second victim we were unable to track and we will be back up there soon to find him. Very sad day and it jsut shows anything can happen at any time. R.I.P.

Sad Day...

Truly heart wrenching.:brokenheart: To the friends and families you are in the thoughts and prayers of all of us this evening.

it began as a great day untracked snow and we were busting trail all the way in,i was in the group with the two that got burried, it was a terrain trap and we had no where to go once we realised what was happening. We were able to locate the first victim but he was deceised the second victim we were unable to track and we will be back up there soon to find him. Very sad day and it jsut shows anything can happen at any time. R.I.P.

My condolinces......RIP to your friends....

ConocoPhilips AK president killed in Spencer Glacier avalanche

by Channel 2 News staff
Saturday, February 13, 2010

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- The president of ConocoPhilips Alaska, James Bowles, died in an avalanche Saturday at Spencer Glacier near Moose Pass.

State troopers say the avalanche happened around noon. Officials say a group of snowmachiners was in the area when the avalanche hit.

A second victim is missing buried under the snow. Troopers say they'll try to go into the area Sunday to search for the missing snowmachiner.

No names have been released yet until family has been notified.

This is a developing story. Please check the Late Edition and KTUU.com for more information.

yes it was up in grand view as soon as you cross the tracks to go up onto the left side of the mountain. if your in the area then you will see the avy. Horrible Day and everyone wish us luck on getting him out

RIP

Prayers for the victims and their families. This happens far to often. Everyone stay safe and ride smart.

(Help your friends out - Wear a beacon !!!)

sorry about your friends man :face-icon-small-sad

thank you everyone for your support. the familys DO appreciate it. Everyone pray for us to get the other victim out soon

I know the area well! We were caught in an Avalanche in this area last year and got so lucky!
May God bless the hurting families! Our thoughts and prayers will be with them tonight! Rest In Peace!

President of ConocoPhillips Alaska Killed in Avalanche
14 February 2010

The president of Conoco Phillips Alaska, Jim Bowles, 57, was one of two people killed along with a third presumed dead after two avalanches in Southcentral Alaska recreation areas on Saturday, according to Alaska State Troopers. His companion, Alan Gage, a colleague of Bowles' at ConocoPhillips remained missing in the area and is presumed dead.

The avalanche occurred in the Grandview area wilderness between Girdwood and Seward on the Kenai Peninsula.

Jim Mulva, ConocoPhillips chairman and chief executive officer said today:
"The entire ConocoPhillips family is deeply saddened and will greatly miss ConocoPhillips Alaska President Jim Bowles, who has served our company with distinction. Jim died and fellow employee Alan Gage is missing following an avalanche while snow machining on Feb.13 on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula.

"Jim Bowles has led our Alaska organization and its some 900 employees since late 2004 and presided over a number of developments that ensured our company's place and standing in Alaska and will serve as a legacy to his leadership as we go forward.

"Alan Gage is a respected member of our capital projects organization and has been a ConocoPhillips employee since 2006. We are hopeful the search for him can resume soon.

"On behalf of everyone at ConocoPhillips, including those who had the privilege to know and work with these two gentlemen and those who did not, I want to extend our sincere condolences to the Bowles family and our heartfelt best wishes to the Gage family and make sure they know the high regard in which we hold Jim and Alan, both as co-workers and as friends."

Our snowfall total for the last 10 days is 66 inches (5.5 ft) of snow. It’s a no brainer today folks! High winds, rain, and 17 inches of heavy wet storm snow falling on a snowpack with numerous buried weak layers equals extremely dangerous avalanche conditions. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended today!

~ Lisa Portune - Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center - www.cnfaic.org

hey

I heard on the news that the people going to recover the body have no avalanche training. I'm wondering if its just family going to get him or what. I would gladly help if needed.

Premium Features

Back