• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Someone Buried at Placer

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
Rode Placer today... My buddies wanted to go up Squirrel even though I suggested we shouldn't. We got up to the bench where you have to drop down into the chute... there was about 15 sleds stopped there, that gut was filled with avy debris. I told the group i was with we should turn around and go up on skookum... which we did. There was fresh slides EVERYwhere.

Anyways, when we were leaving... a heli went by and RR cops... when we got to the parking lot a state trooper came up and asked if we were with the group that had someone buried. Don't know who it is, and although it didn't sound good, i hope he/she made it. I guess it was near whatever glacier is past the trial that goes upto Squirrel.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Rode Placer today... My buddies wanted to go up Squirrel even though I suggested we shouldn't. We got up to the bench where you have to drop down into the chute... there was about 15 sleds stopped there, that gut was filled with avy debris. I told the group i was with we should turn around and go up on skookum... which we did. There was fresh slides EVERYwhere.

Anyways, when we were leaving... a heli went by and RR cops... when we got to the parking lot a state trooper came up and asked if we were with the group that had someone buried. Don't know who it is, and although it didn't sound good, i hope he/she made it. I guess it was near whatever glacier is past the trial that goes upto Squirrel.

oh man no.....hope and prayers out to those in perile right now...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Up at Grand view.

Two fatalities, one recovered. They're pulling out for the night.

Condolences to friends and family.:brokenheart:

I am so sad to hear that...thoughts and prayers to the family and friends...RIP......
please peeps..becareful out there..live to love life....:brokenheart::brokenheart:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Man this is terrible news,I get a lump in my throat every time I read of people getting killed or hurt like this.Real sad...
Our prayers and Condolences to family and friends RIP

Dave & Shelley

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Condolences to friends and family:brokenheart:

Anyone know if they need help with recovery?:face-icon-small-sad

Jason

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
Up at Grand view.

Two fatalities, one recovered. They're pulling out for the night.

Condolences to friends and family.:brokenheart:

I'm hearing different stories... troopers at placer told us 1 guy was buried near that glacier at the end of placer valley(not skookum, thats where i was).

Some guys from Eagle River i know said they saw 'a couple guys on skidoos' stopped in a bowl, and an avy broke above them and they were stuck in a terrain trap... - that was second hand information.

Wonder who it was?

Regardless... ~ may they rest in peace, my prayers are with them and their families.

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
An avalanche near Spencer Glacier, off the Alaska Railroad between Girdwood and Seward, killed a snowmachiner and buried another, according to Alaska State Trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters. As darkness fell, rescuers abandoned the search for the missing victim. They hope to resume a recovery operation tomorrow, depending on conditions, Peters said.

I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
I'm hearing different stories... troopers at placer told us 1 guy was buried near that glacier at the end of placer valley(not skookum, thats where i was).

Some guys from Eagle River i know said they saw 'a couple guys on skidoos' stopped in a bowl, and an avy broke above them and they were stuck in a terrain trap... - that was second hand information.

Definitely Grandview.

And they did get caught in a terrain trap. I have played in the same spot many times myself. Fairly mellow terrain.

There are some bad layers out there right now. With this next storm, it won't get any better.

Again, I'm sorry for their families.

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
Sorry to hear..:brokenheart: This is a sad day..my thoughts a prayers to the familys of the fallen brotheren..and may they R.I.P.:rose::rose:

Premium Features