• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So I went to the county fair..

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
Last night my girlfriend and I went to the county fair. Always an interesting place to visit. One thing I observed that really concerned me. What is with all the fat kids?? The number of over weight kids is unreal. What is the deal? Terrible parenting? Poor diet? Laziness? Wow how things have changed in the last twenty years. It makes my generation (I am 31) of parenting look horrible.

W
Jan 2, 2008
Last night my girlfriend and I went to the county fair. Always an interesting place to visit. One thing I observed that really concerned me. What is with all the fat kids?? The number of over weight kids is unreal. What is the deal? Terrible parenting? Poor diet? Laziness? Wow how things have changed in the last twenty years. It makes my generation (I am 31) of parenting look horrible.

All of the above!

X-Box, Playstation babysitters
bad eating habits

all breed lazyness, its a snowball effect.

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
i can agree with that^^^^^!!!!! why would kids want to go out and play when they can play video games all day long with all their friends all over town!!!! don't get me wrong, i like to play games too, but you have to put limits on it and MAKE your kids go outside to do something, anything!!!! i also like the fact that most schools don't have mandatory phys ed anymore!!!!!!!!!! can't make the kids run their too fat and it hurts their knees!:eek:

O
Jan 14, 2008
MN
pretty sad the parents wont make some kids do some more activities.. they have a long lazy life ahead of them...

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
X-Box, Playstation babysitters
bad eating habits

all breed lazyness, its a snowball effect.[/QUOTE]

X2, When I was little we grew up in the country and I used to stay outside until I was forced to come inside. I think kids these days have no imagination. The video games have taken it away.

K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
fat_kid.jpg

Mmmmm Mcdonalds

fat-kid-eating.gif

by golly, she's a jolly little pudger!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I have a comment, but it's mean spirited......and wouldn't helpl anyway.:(

I will say this though.
The apathetic stance parents take have PERMENANT effect on these children.
Some of these stupid people should be sterilized!

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
It's sad. My wifes parents had a kid when they were 42 and they say they are too old to take him out and do stuff. He plays video games and eats crap all day. He's 10 years old and weighs 135 lbs. I weighed 115 my freshman year in high school

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
It's sad as hell when you realize these kids are doomed in so many ways:
1.) unlikely to participate in athletics of any kind now and later in life as a parent.
2.) unlikely to enjoy the great outdoors for hiking, skiing, snowboarding, biking, camping, swimming, sleddin', etc.
3.) employment opportunities limited to desk jobs in close proximity to vending machines. Probably not going to be in a customer contact job.
4.) terrible drag on medical services....they always seem to walk with a limp.
5.) generally low an ambition and achievement.

I say BS to the politically correct position of not getting in the kids face when they eat huge amounts of crap and play video games all day long.

Since several of the in-laws are human tanks, I admit it has been a source of friction between me and the wife but I dont give a chit........I go insane when my kids eat crap and do nothing. I ALWAYS talk to my kids about a healthy lifestyle with excercise and eating the right foods.

O
Feb 17, 2003
Waverly, IA
Parents can't do anything about it...kids will sue the parents for making them eat food that they don't like and there is probably a judge out there dumb enough to rule in the childs favor.......

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
My dad used to kick me out of the house every Saturday morning. That was the best time of my life:D

I do the same to my kid as much as possible and get him enrolled in outdoor programs. Thought I was doing a good enough job until a while back when I told him he should go out and ride his MX bike. He said "but it's been raining":eek: Isn't that the best time to ride?

O

oregunrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Willamette Valley
The question is who is going to pay for the medical costs 20-30 years from now. It sure is not going to be the fat people. My kids have video game but the rule is if the son is shining, no play.

Premium Features