• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So I went Christmas shopping today.............

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
My 13 year old went out to Island PArk last year and had substandard gear as far as jacket/bib is concerned.....He would sweat right through his jacket and his butt would get soaked and later in the afternoon when we would stop for a break he would get really cold,,,,,,,,,,, and the whining would begin

After finding a 50% off pull over, 50% off bibs, 50% off insulating layer, 25% off wicking inner layer, this kid now has stuff that is Waaay better than what I ride with.......

I have 12 year old goretex Reima bibs and goretex klim shell that is all tattered.

What happened to making the kid suffer a little bit and use some of the old crap I used to use?

That went out the window this morning....

I guess one way of looking at it is now I dont have to worry about him getting cold and whining when we are out in the back country

I used to fancy myself as a bit of a hard@ss, but I guess I am softening as I get older.

Who else has kids that have much better gear than what you ride with?

Reactions: christopher
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Both my kids are rockin FXR gear. Can't say it's better than mine or the wifes since I'm not ponying up for goretex for them. But is good gear. Starting 3 rd season on the older boys gear and after a rain out at the ski hill today they were dry and wanting to take another run.
Only bad part is, the litle one will inherit 4 yr old gear when he outgrows his in a couple years!
Side note, I've been real impressed with FXR kids gear. Reasonably priced compared to any of the decent ski gear and keeps them warm and pretty dry even here in wet WA.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Don't blame him too much for whinin!!! Wet gear can be very deadly in the mountains! Been in a situation where it almost was. Don't go cheap!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Don't blame him too much for whinin!!! Wet gear can be very deadly in the mountains! Been in a situation where it almost was. Don't go cheap!

Was gonna say that. You're not talking about a little trail ride where there's a house, gas station, bar, whatever within a couple miles at all times.

My kids go out with us into areas that some adults are afraid to go. The fact that they do that tells me their tough enough to earn some decent gear to stay warm and dry.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Any good parent wants to make sure your kid has a better shot at life. Weather it be gear, colleges, cars, whatever....we all want them to have better. Nothing wrong with that if you have the resources using them on your kids is not all that bad.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Any good parent wants to make sure your kid has a better shot at life. Weather it be gear, colleges, cars, getting hand jobs from cheerleaders, whatever....we all want them to have better. Nothing wrong with that if you have the resources using them on your kids is not all that bad.

All things a good dad wants for his son.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I found him a Klim uninsulated pullover powder jacket, a Klim fleece layer and a Klim undergarment.

I found it on the 50% off rack at Century power sports in Stillwater, MN

Most of it is gone now though.........

Obviously I was kidding about my son and his "stuff"

I have a fantastic son, who is responsible, respectful, gets good grades, is a kind, caring person. This purchase came on top of (All in a week) new basketball shoes, new snowboard boots, several new pairs of jeans and on and on........

Very expensive week for sure.....

Just thought I would vent

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I found him a Klim uninsulated pullover powder jacket, a Klim fleece layer and a Klim undergarment.

I found it on the 50% off rack at Century power sports in Stillwater, MN

Most of it is gone now though.........

Obviously I was kidding about my son and his "stuff"

I have a fantastic son, who is responsible, respectful, gets good grades, is a kind, caring person. This purchase came on top of (All in a week) new basketball shoes, new snowboard boots, several new pairs of jeans and on and on........

Very expensive week for sure.....

Just thought I would vent

So what kind of oil does he run?:face-icon-small-win

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I hope you had my daughter for a sales person.She knows the importance of good gear in the backcountry.

I think I might have.......

Does she ride West Yellowstone?

We had a little talk about West and Island PArk

Your daughter has good people skills and really helped us save some money

C
Nov 26, 2007
Somerset Wi.
Thank you for the compliment. I'm Cave's daughter and I was very happy to help. I really enjoy my job and it is because of customers like you and your son. Stop back and see us again sometime soon.
-Sam

B
Dec 18, 2007
Afton, MN
My 13 year old went out to Island PArk last year and had substandard gear as far as jacket/bib is concerned.....He would sweat right through his jacket and his butt would get soaked and later in the afternoon when we would stop for a break he would get really cold,,,,,,,,,,, and the whining would begin

After finding a 50% off pull over, 50% off bibs, 50% off insulating layer, 25% off wicking inner layer, this kid now has stuff that is Waaay better than what I ride with.......

I have 12 year old goretex Reima bibs and goretex klim shell that is all tattered.

What happened to making the kid suffer a little bit and use some of the old crap I used to use?

That went out the window this morning....

I guess one way of looking at it is now I dont have to worry about him getting cold and whining when we are out in the back country

I used to fancy myself as a bit of a hard@ss, but I guess I am softening as I get older.

Who else has kids that have much better gear than what you ride with?

I'm sorry.....I'm still laughing at the fact that you viewed yourself as a hard azz

Premium Features