• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowpants with built in knee pads?

I'm looking to buy a new pair of snowpants for the year, and I'd like to find some with built in knee padding, like the Klim Freerides. I cracked a kneecap last season when I went flying off my sled and onto a rock, so it's not as solid as it used to be. I like the Klim freerides, but not the price tag. Does any other company out there make pants like those?

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Buy real protection

I've had pants with pads before and their great, but there is know way I would ride without real knee guards. Pants cannot offer the true protection required, also can shift and move on you. If you already broke a cap you better go with the real deal. I'm sure peeps will chime in with 428 types and brands. But figure out what suits your size, comfort and needed protection. I personally wear Black Diamond ski pads. I can sled and MX bike with them.;)

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I would get knee guards, those pads don't help on hard hits, a friend of mine had the klim free ride pants and knee guards and still broke his knee cap last season

I'm thinking I'll have to look into getting seperate knee pads. I need to find something that is comfortable, offers protection, and something I can still move around in. Mostly, my thought on this is to have more comfort when riding on a knee. I know if I re-injure it, surgery is inevitable, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
damn three hours into a thread with a chick talking about knee pads and no smart *** comments? WTF? LOL J/K

Sorry to hear about your knee, I know a thing or two about having knee injuries. The built in knee pads just don't live up to what they are supposed too. For under 30$ you can find a good pair of MX knee/shin guards. Super comfy and after a few ride you will feel naked without them.

Now think about a chest protector before you crack a rib!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
im no fan of the built in knee pad.....i remove it and use a cheap pair of FOX MX knee guards:beer;

yep. Did the cheap knee guards last year, broke 4 of them. Now I've upgraded to good ones... Just get real knee guards... the ones in the pants are no good.

They're also nice when you're flipping sleds over too.... i've noticed the rails and skis like to bite me in the shins.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Bought some knee pads at the ski shop when i used to telemark ski a lot,hard plastic with foam and Velcro straps.You could probably find something similar at a ski shop or for less money at Home Depot or similar in the floor laying tile dept.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
First thing I did with my KLIM freerides is pull those worthless pads out.
I wear Fox shin/knee guards. Hard plastic is WAY better than stupid 1/8" swiss cheese.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
As most are saying, it is better to get a separate set of actually knee guards. Most of the snow pants that I've seen, provide little more than a bit of shock absorption and do little to actually protect the knee. You may be able to adapt some CE approved armor from some street pants, but you will still lack shin protection.
My advice is to try on a few different brands of knee/shin guards. They all serve the same purpose, but do fit differently. Some of them can really bite the back of your leg where the strap attaches.
People with very large calf's and/or quads will have more difficulty as the knee guard will try to move to a smaller area.
As far as pants go, Klim will of course get my vote for overall performance.

T
Jan 8, 2008
www.team2powersports.com
Definitely get some knee/shin guards. As everyone has said, the pads that come in the pants do little more than provide a little shock absorption but everytime you think you do not need to wear the knee/shinguards because you think the builtin pad will be enough, you always find a way to hit your knee right where the pad isn't. Plus, after you wear the knee/shin guards, you will not even notice they are there.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Like everyone has already said go with some MX style guards. I think my EVOs were 20$. They have shin and knee protection. If your looking for the best bang for the buck for the pants check out whiskeymilitia.com its geared more twards the snowboarder/skiier but you can get amazing deals on snow pants. Usually 75 to 80% off of retail. Ill probably get flamed for not supporting sled co and local shops but if I can pick up top of the line Bonfire pants for 45$ instead of paying 300$ for KLIM then with the savings, thats a new can or 4 or 5 rides worth of gas.

C
Nov 29, 2007
Minnesota/Wisconsin
I used to where MX knee/shin guards until I twisted my knee, now I where EVE knee BRACES!! For a big contraption on your knee they are actually pretty comfortable. After my twist in a get off two seasons ago I don't ride without them.

E

eeberg

Dec 7, 2007
Naples, ID
I always considered wearing knee braces when I ride and ski, but I thought the price was way too high for a decent pair. I tore my ACL 2 years ago and had to have knee surgery and 6 months of rehab. Now I ride with Asterisk braces on both legs all the time. They work great, and fit great. After a little while, you don't even know you have them on anymore. They protect your knee from twisting, they have a knee cap protection pad, and they have an adjustable hyper extension limit. There has already been a few injuries they have saved me from. They are expensive, but knee surgery and rehab is much more expensive and I'd rather not do it again.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Like everyone has already said go with some MX style guards. I think my EVOs were 20$. They have shin and knee protection. If your looking for the best bang for the buck for the pants check out whiskeymilitia.com its geared more twards the snowboarder/skiier but you can get amazing deals on snow pants. Usually 75 to 80% off of retail. Ill probably get flamed for not supporting sled co and local shops but if I can pick up top of the line Bonfire pants for 45$ instead of paying 300$ for KLIM then with the savings, thats a new can or 4 or 5 rides worth of gas.

I hear ya Bubba. Even better for me cuz I just drive down the road and pick up my gear from them.:beer;:D

Here is an old post that has some great advise and comments.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77279&highlight=knee+bash

Premium Features