• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobiling in Closed Areas

It irks me that i cant ride the cottonwood canyons under watershed, but groomers, and ski patrol on sleds are going non-stop all winter long...
if i win the lottery im going to buy out the ski resorts, close the lifts and make it a sledders playground...

Phatty,
Was listening to some skisnobs the other day *****ing about sleds, and talking about how thier snow was so pure......I about busted a gut thinking about all the time the groomers spend on the hill.

And when you own the worlds largest private snowmobile park, can you leave one lift running? I might need help getting to the top of the hill....:face-icon-small-dis

Thanks, Bagger :beer;

There is deep untracked snow everywhere in Montana right now - but a few guys in a new group I was going to ride with today started talking about going places where they shouldn't... I made a few comments about it - they asked me not to ride with them today. I wasn't going to ride with them anyway...

Peer pressure makes people do really stupid things. I much prefer to ride in groups where everyone tries to emulate the behavior and riding ethics of the highest standard in the group - not the lowest. So I missed a ride today, big deal. I'll be riding with real friends all weekend in snow that will be fresh untracked deep and legal.:cool:

Yep,
I missed out today as well, because of the same group of people. There is soo much good snow right now, I dont understand why anyone would ride in illegal areas.

Yep,
I missed out today as well, because of the same group of people. There is soo much good snow right now, I dont understand why anyone would ride in illegal areas.

I'll keep you posted on the weekend plan, currently a work in process... You're always welcome to come along!

Yep,

i understand why they do... it is my opinion that the riding/terrain in some closed areas is vastly superior to those areas that are open to sledding. The beauty and views alone in those areas is more than enough to draw some...

does that excuse people from doing it? no... but i can understand why a person would want to.

i understand why they do... it is my opinion that the riding/terrain in some closed areas is vastly superior to those areas that are open to sledding. The beauty and views alone in those areas is more than enough to draw some...

does that excuse people from doing it? no... but i can understand why a person would want to.

You're right - It doesn't make it right and I can see why they "want" to... But the snow right now is soo deep that turbo Yammies can't get up the hills... It's not about the challenges or the views - these guys just made up their minds that they were going to ride where they shouldn't - just to do it...

That is true.
Wanting to (which I do, want to) and doing it are 2 different things.
I don't do it, but I do want to in a couple locations.

I, for one, respect you guys for passing on the tresspassing trip. Good on ya'.

Do you happen to know what 4 things get more guys in trouble than any others?

1. Pretty Girls.
2. Stop Watches.
3. Cameras.
4. Peer Pressure.

Now, would you have still refused to go if it'd been a group of Hooter's girls, on the clock with new Polaroids? Hummmmm?:face-icon-small-win

Here's to ya. :beer;:beer;:beer; Bagger

aadougie,

I am new to the world of sledding, but I like it a lot. In reading your post, I am glad you decided to stay out of the closed areas. I know there is a reason they are closed (not sure what it is but I respect it) and there is plenty of places that arent closed.

aadougie,

I am new to the world of sledding, but I like it a lot. In reading your post, I am glad you decided to stay out of the closed areas. I know there is a reason they are closed (not sure what it is but I respect it) and there is plenty of places that arent closed.

lets not get carried away here, there is not plenty of places that arent closed anymore... and if we dont organize and step up our attack to get areas re opened, then were just going to lose more and more and more...

and when the day comes that areas i grew up riding are closed, and i have done all i could to keep it open, well then, its the middle finger to them as i will ride where i want to... until then, its letter writing and money donation time...

There is deep untracked snow everywhere in Montana right now - but a few guys in a new group I was going to ride with today started talking about going places where they shouldn't... I made a few comments about it - they asked me not to ride with them today. I wasn't going to ride with them anyway...

Peer pressure makes people do really stupid things. I much prefer to ride in groups where everyone tries to emulate the behavior and riding ethics of the highest standard in the group - not the lowest. So I missed a ride today, big deal. I'll be riding with real friends all weekend in snow that will be fresh untracked deep and legal.:cool:

I will ride with people like you anytime!!! wait, your int eh flathead...why havent we rode together yet?>

The Highly Predictable Front Page News...

Here's the article I didn't want to see...:mad:
"Snowmobile Violations Increasing"
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2008/02/12/news/news02.txt
and: http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/02/12/news/local/news04.txt
and: http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/artic...l_forest_hands_out_17_tickets_in_7_days/2328/

Last edited:
aadougie,

From your post I take it this was the group you decided not to ride with??? If so, I am sure you are glad you didnt go with.

In that area, there is a TON of places to ride without going into the Missions or Jewel. Too bad someone decided to go and do something they knew was OB.

Still say good on you for not attending with your friends.

PHATTY: I dont think everyone wants to shut down everywhere to ride. I think that if we leave the places alone that are closed and lobby correctly to keep open places open then we have a better chance. JMHO.

aadougie,

From your post I take it this was the group you decided not to ride with??? If so, I am sure you are glad you didnt go with.

In that area, there is a TON of places to ride without going into the Missions or Jewel. Too bad someone decided to go and do something they knew was OB.

Still say good on you for not attending with your friends.

PHATTY: I dont think everyone wants to shut down everywhere to ride. I think that if we leave the places alone that are closed and lobby correctly to keep open places open then we have a better chance. JMHO.

Don't count on it with that line of thinking you'll probably be riding in circles around your house

Don't count on it with that line of thinking you'll probably be riding in circles around your house

M7, Which line of thinking are you refering to, the obeying laws part or the lobbying part?

If you don't think outlaws riding in OOB area's are bad for the sport, how many articles have you read/heard about on all the riders that STAY in bounds?

And what news articles do you think someone (maybe even someone that didn't have any opinon before the article) will remember come voting time?

If you want to make a statement by riding OOB organize a ride, get as many people there as possible. By people I mean Riders, Non-Riders, PRESS, POLICE, Forest Service, whomever has an interest.

Declair your intent, determine yourself to pay the penalty and make it count. Prepare statements and present them on TV/news with dignity and poise.

Now you have a news story about BELIEVERS, standing up for what they love and want to preserve. Who are drawing attention to a WRONG committed TO them.

With stories like the one above, all you have are tresspassers that disregard the boundries and commit Wrongs themselves.

Again, which article do you think voters would remember come time to mark the box? Which group do you think a politician would risk his reputation to be associated with? Like 'em or not, they make the laws. You can piss 'em off, or force/bribe them into backing you.

Bagger

I believe this was the line he was referring to.

M7, Which line of thinking are you refering to, the obeying laws part or the lobbying part?

If you don't think outlaws riding in OOB area's are bad for the sport, how many articles have you read/heard about on all the riders that STAY in bounds?

And what news articles do you think someone (maybe even someone that didn't have any opinon before the article) will remember come voting time?

If you want to make a statement by riding OOB organize a ride, get as many people there as possible. By people I mean Riders, Non-Riders, PRESS, POLICE, Forest Service, whomever has an interest.

Declair your intent, determine yourself to pay the penalty and make it count. Prepare statements and present them on TV/news with dignity and poise.

Now you have a news story about BELIEVERS, standing up for what they love and want to preserve. Who are drawing attention to a WRONG committed TO them.

With stories like the one above, all you have are tresspassers that disregard the boundries and commit Wrongs themselves.

Again, which article do you think voters would remember come time to mark the box? Which group do you think a politician would risk his reputation to be associated with? Like 'em or not, they make the laws. You can piss 'em off, or force/bribe them into backing you.

Bagger

About thinking not everyone wants to shut us out. maybe not everyone but alot more then you can imagine. I'm not going thru the list,we are being pushed out more and more until we will be restricted to certain packed places where they will have more control,believe me its coming.Wilderness areas and private property should be offlimits as they have been. problem is they want it all. all I can say is try and get as many to join your clubs as possible, maybe it can be prolonged

Premium Features

Back