• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbiking the Iron Dog

If you can put screws in your track you will never want to ride a one ski again without them .

It's so over looked , who in their right mind would run across a frozen lake with a tire ?

IMO
Probably the ktm 690 or XR 650 for reliability
1.6 ice ripper track
Lots of lights
Liquid heat bars
Yeti 120" for sure no other with enough reliability
Probably do a 8" sly dog ski like mototrax had last year

Even better, if snow sucks like last year keep a tire with screws on it and make some 12"x3" plastic float wings fastened to the forks outside the tire

For straight ice you will need the triple carbides nothing else available works. The snowhawk track also allows for ice screws and will be the track to have for this type of ride.

Do not go with a big bike it puts to much weight on the ski and will stop you dead in your tracks when you hit ice and gravel -- and there will be lots of that. The 450s will top out at around 70 MPH but do that al day long if you build to heavy a beast it will not be able to handle the bomb holes at speed. It is all in the set up not the power.

Tires

Even better, if snow sucks like last year keep a tire with screws on it and make some 12"x3" plastic float wings fastened to the forks outside the tire

Good Point! Hydraulic actuated wheels, kind of like bush planes with skis? Pump them up or down depending on terrain?

Similar to Robbie Maddison pipe dream
2B12ED0900000578-0-image-a-3_1438644768152.jpg

If you make it out of the parking lot with that contraption I buy you a case of beer.
By the way the fastest ever recorded speed at arctic man was just over 90 MPH at first aid, the fastest section by far on the course. Now that is towing a skier.
118MPH in the canyon is a pipe dream. Maybe downhill without a skier.:face-icon-small-hap

Pipe Dreams and Beer

If you make it out of the parking lot with that contraption I buy you a case of beer.
By the way the fastest ever recorded speed at arctic man was just over 90 MPH at first aid, the fastest section by far on the course. Now that is towing a skier.
118MPH in the canyon is a pipe dream. Maybe downhill without a skier.:face-icon-small-hap

Ya that is a really skeptical speed going up hill, turning through the canyon with a skier attached.

Might be able to get in the 80's on a bike on the top flats.

Maybe with this ultimate speed enduro bike I can run it in both Iron Dog and Arctic Man....

I mean Robbie Maddison had a pipe dream and look how that turned out. Wonder how many cases of beer he won from the naysayers?

If you get it together Ill offer you a sponsorship for lighting and grips. I love snowbiking but high speed in a race like this would be interesting. I would recomend the 701 or 690 still fairly light weight but can ride at speed all day long.

My hardest challenge will be river running. One minute you'll be in 6'' powder crushing speed, while the next you will be running on straight ice trying to pull 85+mph. I took my ST Timbersled KTM 500 XC-W on a 25 mile run down the Tanana River last winter outside of Fairbanks. This is one small stretch of the Iron Dog that would be similar to maybe 45% of the total ride. It was a complete nightmare on the 10" Timbersled ski where I had my feet thrown out most of the ride. I slid out 3 or 4 times and laid it on its side when I was riding on slanted frozen river ice. With the right ski and skag setup I believe I could trust it.

Durability.
I can repair chain driven systems in the field with extra links and extra chains/extra sprockets. In the villages I can repair and weld metal where I cannot fix a carbon setup. I know lightweight with less rolling mass is the key in most cases but in this case it is all durability and ease of repar. Most likely I would have two or three fully built extra kits waiting for me along the trail ready for a swap out but again not sure of the regulation. I have not spoke to race officials but would love to prepare a presentation.

My true concern is speed. What speed could I get out of the best kit. What could a 690 R KTM enduro bike pull on a straight away? What fuel economy could I get?

I will not be vying for the pro class, I dont think they would even let it happen. This is purely a trail class test of man and machine in my mind. A true proving ground for snowbikes over long distance. I love this discussion that's going on. More thoughts?

forgot about the river ice and gravel sections... R1 might be a bit heavy!! :yuck: Darryl is probably right about the 690/701. Won't be as fast but should last and be lighter. I ran the Snowtech ski last year for a while and it did really well on trail riding and gravel, just not as aggressive in deep powder as I would like *running Yeti ski now*.. might work well for river ice and the like.

I have been running my Snowtech kit without laying a finger on it since the beginning of last January *Last ride of 16 season was July 20th, first ride of 17 season was October 21*

Still on the original belt, drive chain, bearings, etc.. everything! Haven't touched a single thing on it. The belt held up to my 70+HP CR500 just fine. I have beat on it really hard too, smashed into the belt cover many times, crashed, rolled, etc.. everything is still straight. It is built like a tank. All the moving parts have delrin bushings, chain sliders.. etc.. Definitely the kit to take for an endurance haul.

I would definintely take Darryl / Cyclops up on the offer too, I run his lights on everything.

26177106076_8c05dfb91a_h_d.jpg

As a 690 owner and using it as a snowbike with a ad Boivin explorer kit I wish you great success with this project

As far as sponsorship , this is so extreme that I am sure you could get a ktm /Husqvarna dealer backing for this

Just to say I have ice screws on the track and to my knowledge it is the only kit that allow it

Best of luck

image.jpg

Last edited:
That KTM 450 Rally is one ugly bike. That one doubles as birth control, because the rider will not get laid riding that one.

Iron Dog Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5po-UzjJMJk

http://ktmbasel.ch/defy-series-kit/ktm-basel-690-quest-the-ultimate-ultralight-travel-bike.html

Thoughts?

I spoke with the president of Iron Dog two days ago on the phone and they are very open and receptive to me running in the Iron Dog. I have missed all the registration dates and there is no way I would be ready to roll this year but they are going to the board to see if I can forerun the Big Lake to Skwetna section of the race (about 80 miles, 50 on river). If we get the approval I will immediately start to build out my KTM 500 XC-W for this cross country run. I'm thinking I'm gonna cut down my original 2 inch track, make it convex with a hot knife, and start trying stud configurations on the track.

Anyone stud a snowbike track yet? Pictures? Thoughts?

Last edited:
What ski??

Still pondering which ski to use? I like the Casmo ski because it has the outside runners but I still believe its gonna be too wide for ice.

I need a tri or maybe quad skagged 6-8" ski that doesn't have a large height difference from middle skag to outer skags. I need the turn profile to be low so that I can rest on all sets of skags while river running. I will also need to be able to carry multiple sets with me as I imagine in 1000 miles I will switch skags at least twice.

These are the ideal skags I'm looking at using:

http://www.bergstromskegs.com/oui/triple_announcement.html

But what ski to couple it to?

Is the Timbersled ski the only ski that has provisions in place to place skags on the outside edge?

Still pondering which ski to use? I like the Casmo ski because it has the outside runners but I still believe its gonna be too wide for ice.

I need a tri or maybe quad skagged 6-8" ski that doesn't have a large height difference from middle skag to outer skags. I need the turn profile to be low so that I can rest on all sets of skags while river running. I will also need to be able to carry multiple sets with me as I imagine in 1000 miles I will switch skags at least twice.

These are the ideal skags I'm looking at using:

http://www.bergstromskegs.com/oui/triple_announcement.html

But what ski to couple it to?

Is the Timbersled ski the only ski that has provisions in place to place skags on the outside edge?

Snowhawk ski with outer skags and twin axis, works great on Ice. I have an extra if you need a loaner.

Premium Features

Back