• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snapped off tongue on trailer

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
Just came back from a trip to the snowies. on my way back in 40 to 60 mph winds, freezing ran and blowing snow the tongue on my Amera Light trailer broke off and trailer went into the ditch. Thank god no one was killed. Any one else have this happen? The trailer was a 2015 in perfect condition and always stored in a pole barn. I only use it about 4 times a year and only had 2 snowmobiles and a 1/2 of a 55 gal. fuel barrel. I really don't know what to do next?20220114_174935_resized.jpg20220114_174926_resized.jpg20220114_183727_resized.jpg20220115_131050_resized.jpg

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Wow. Kind of glad mines a metal trailer now. Although it’s getting pretty rusty underneath. I had a small aluminum snowmobile tow behind trailer on skis. Only had about a two inch thin square tubing tongue, but cruising along one day it snapped in half. Replaced it with a metal one. I’ve never heard of a large trailer having that happen. Kind of makes you think it had a flaw in the aluminum? Glad everyone was OK.

Last edited:

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
You might have to hire a welder to weld an insert in it then weld the hitch back on? We had to do that to a trailer axle one time in Elko NV. Maybe there’s a welder on here that will chime in?

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
we are very thankful that no one got hurt or killed. The trailer is pretty damaged. both sleds hit the front of the trailer and there are holes in the front of the trailer. Both sleds have some damage, thankfully the older sled got the worst of it, my new sled just has some scratches.

I would be nervous just re welding a pole on the trailer and pulling it home. I am assuming the rest of the frame is now stressed under the trailer, I don't know if I would want to trust it again. It hit hard in the ditch and dug in. I am hoping the insurance company just totals it. With the bad weather we weren't going very fast. I can't imagine how bad things would have been if we were able to drive the speed limit, 70 mph .

I just don't know what to buy next time? I liked having an aluminum trailer but now I am a little scared to buy one again.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Always risk pulling any trailer or driving any vehicle. Crap happens. Buy what works with the insurance and give er hell.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I lost a 16 foot box trailer due to operater error ! I was working in yellowstone Park and luckily it was 5am lol. But seeing that thing flying across the road over into the great unknown was terrifying! I think he's right though. Let insurance take care of it, buy a reputable brand and drive like it's supposed to come with you. All you can do really. I think maybe I'll call my insurance guy and ask him. Seems like the trailer fabricator would have insurance for that dramatic of a failure? You know that's not really normal?! Glad everyone is alive and well. It's just stuff as far as that's concerned !!

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Bummer...Glad you're ok and no one else got hurt. I hope your insurance pickups the damages cost. Replacement cost on enclosed trailers today is shocking. Hope you get your sleds home without too much hassle.

I've always been suspect of the single beam tongue and your picture confirms. The torque of the tongue is high. My enclosed stealth has two frame beams coming to a point to create the tongue with an A-frame coupler.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
It will be totalled, and should be. That was maybe a 10k US trailer new? If that Ameralite has leafs, like many I've seen, I'd guess the aluminum frame at the end of the steel spring perches are broken or cracked, also. Seen it before on the Ameralite. Floor will be humped, not smooth, the floor actually helps hold the frame together. Never seen an aluminum tongue blowup like that - those are VERY short tongued trailers, the shortest I've ever seen, which may concentrate the stress. Aluminum doesn't flex, and can be brittle. Really rare, tho. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cracked before it snapped. Ameralite is/was a Forest River/Warren Buffet co. Thanks for sharing, everyone with an Ameralite should be looking carefully.

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
Yes, my trailer has leaf springs. did not notice the floor heaved up anywhere, but the side walls and v nose is bowed out.
My wife called the manufacture today, they asked for pictures and told us they have never heard of any problems like that ( which doesn't mean anything of course) I looked over the area where it broke ( we kept the part of the tongue that was still attached to the truck) and it almost looks like where they welded it they did not get very good penetration. The weld is still attached to one side.

As far as insurance here is what we are finding out. Trailer insurance only covers the trailer. Any thing inside the trailer like snowmobiles will be covered by the snowmobile insurance and anything else like tools, fuel, oil, riding gear etc.. is covered by your home owners insurance. The problem with that is we have a $2500 deductible, so anything that is damaged will more than be on us.

If you do not have a separate policy for the trailer, your vehicle insurance will only cover liability on the trailer.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Great tips on how trailer insurance works for everyone, nice you shared that. Great that no one was hurt, loss still suxs, deductibles can add up. Anyone with an Ameralite should look and keep on eye on this. FWIW, the Ameralite floor frame that completely broke at the cross member/spring perch split on the cross member weld when rolling down I90, all the road humps on 80/90/94 likely don't help. Only the screwed floor on the cross members kept the axle from being driven into the frame. Reinforcing corner plates on all floor perch corners were put in.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I see a gooseneck in your future that would be great. Sucks about the deductible though. I have about 100000 miles on my triton it’s 12 years old I’ll be moving it on soon.

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
I would love a gooseneck, but it is way bigger than I would ever need. I will be going smaller this time around I am guessing. Just found out they are totaling one of my sleds. Still waiting to hear back on my trailer from the insurance co. and still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. The manufacturer asked for pictures and invoices from all of the damage, which was surprising. It is a wait and see if they are willing to help me out.

K
Apr 12, 2018
It will be totalled, and should be. That was maybe a 10k US trailer new? If that Ameralite has leafs, like many I've seen, I'd guess the aluminum frame at the end of the steel spring perches are broken or cracked, also. Seen it before on the Ameralite. Floor will be humped, not smooth, the floor actually helps hold the frame together. Never seen an aluminum tongue blowup like that - those are VERY short tongued trailers, the shortest I've ever seen, which may concentrate the stress. Aluminum doesn't flex, and can be brittle. Really rare, tho. I wouldn't be surprised if it was cracked before it snapped. Ameralite is/was a Forest River/Warren Buffet co. Thanks for sharing, everyone with an Ameralite should be looking carefully.
Aluminum is soft. It's not brittle and it does flex. Aluminum trailers hold up way better than steel because they flex and don't tear themselves apart at the welds like a steel trailer does. Most manufacturers put a steel insert inside the tongue where this one broke. Than attach the hitch with bolts that go thru the steel insert to keep them from elongating in the aluminum.

K
Apr 12, 2018
Just came back from a trip to the snowies. on my way back in 40 to 60 mph winds, freezing ran and blowing snow the tongue on my Amera Light trailer broke off and trailer went into the ditch. Thank god no one was killed. Any one else have this happen? The trailer was a 2015 in perfect condition and always stored in a pole barn. I only use it about 4 times a year and only had 2 snowmobiles and a 1/2 of a 55 gal. fuel barrel. I really don't know what to do next?View attachment 382995View attachment 382996View attachment 382997View attachment 382998
Those are pretty shotty looking welds. Almost like it's been altered at some point. Did you buy the trailer new?

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
I bought the trailer new, all original. I weld a lot of steel and to me who ever welded that hitch did not do a good job. in some other pictures i have the weld completely pulled away clean from where it was suppose to be welded.

I am hoping they total the trailer, I sure do not want it anymore. I will not trust it.

Premium Features