• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Insurance

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Dec 11, 2007
USAA offers "grandfathered" policies. If you have an existing (powersport) policy they will continue it through an underwriter. If not they will not start a new policy on "powersports."

Everyone don't flip out and think USAA is going to cancel your existing policies.

BTW... if you are going to sell a sled or bike and want to drop your coverage through USAA.........DON'T

Drop the coverage to storage status or insure a buddies machine or buy a bike frame, etc..... This way you always have a policy on a bike or sled and will continue to have great rates through them. If you drop it do not expect they will allow you to start a new bike or sled policy.

Just some clarification...:beer;

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
USAA offers "grandfathered" policies. If you have an existing (powersport) policy they will continue it through an underwriter. If not they will not start a new policy on "powersports."

Everyone don't flip out and think USAA is going to cancel your existing policies.

BTW... if you are going to sell a sled or bike and want to drop your coverage through USAA.........DON'T

Drop the coverage to storage status or insure a buddies machine or buy a bike frame, etc..... This way you always have a policy on a bike or sled and will continue to have great rates through them. If you drop it do not expect they will allow you to start a new bike or sled policy.

Just some clarification...:beer;

USAA just paid out on a sled i had insured through them, i'm gonna call them now and see if i can weasel myself back into coverage... ???

Got a qoute from Foremost for $116 per month... not gonna happen.

I
Nov 26, 2007
State Farm told me a claim on my sled would not affect my car insurance. I filed two claims over three years, they eventually dropped me for a DUI and when I went to get insurance from another company I had two at fault accidents on my driving record from the sled claims...something to think about.

S

snow_freak

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 11, 2009
Wasilla
State Farm told me a claim on my sled would not affect my car insurance. I filed two claims over three years, they eventually dropped me for a DUI and when I went to get insurance from another company I had two at fault accidents on my driving record from the sled claims...something to think about.

thats $hitty man, well for me i use foremost, i pay 105 a month for 4 months and the whole year is covered, but at the end of the season i just cancel my policy and get over 200 bucks back.

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
State Farm is winning at about $41 p/m - year round. They supposedly didn't run my driving record either... which is helpful! The lady is calling me back tomorrow, i have a feeling it will be a different story. BUT, that is about what i paid with USAA.

That quote from foremost was from an AKUSA insurance lady.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I pay about $30 a month on my toys with state farm. Had 1 claim on a sled and did not change my rates on anything. I do have all my vehicles, boat and house with them as well though as well as the sleds and wheelers.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I use statefarm, it cost me about 700 a year to put good full coverage on all 3 of our sleds....I think the standard coverage was quoted at just over 500 a year..i too have all my stuff covered thru statefarm as well as 25 yrs of coverage from them, I have only used my sled coverage once about 10 yrs ago...claim was very fair ,fast and didnt change my rates or coverages....

I
Nov 26, 2007
I have only used my sled coverage once about 10 yrs ago...claim was very fair ,fast and didnt change my rates or coverages....

I should clarify. My claims did not affect my rates with State Farm. But if you file one it will affect your rates if you ever need to switch insurance as it shows up as an at fault accident on your record.

Premium Features