Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Deck plans

J

jzillmer34

I'm looking at building a sled deck for my truck i'm gonna be hauling long tracks and have a general idea of how to build my frame. I was wondering if anyone out there who has built there own would like to share some photos and posibly the plans they used to make them?

I can send some pics of mine,,,,,,, but not for 2 weeks. Its still at the other place and I wont be there for a couple weeks. It's steel (easier to weld for me), fits a short box, has a 2 piece ramp, and sliding sides, headache rack, winch, and a swing out mount for a winch for my truck.

Highly recommend not making a ramp out of steel,,, very heavy and cumbersome when you have to do it yourself,, especially if you have a herniated disc in your back... aluminum for the ramp for sure. In fact aluminum for the whole thing if the welding works for you and the higher cost of materials.

If you dont get any pics from anyone else, aside from just looking at any decks out there really, I can take a bunch of pics and some measurements if you want.

Thump I'm curious how you made the joining area of your 2 piece ramp. I'm looking at doing the same thing and would like to see if there's maybe a better way to do it.

I plan on making mine expand very similar to opening an extension ladder.

Thump I'm curious how you made the joining area of your 2 piece ramp. I'm looking at doing the same thing and would like to see if there's maybe a better way to do it.

I plan on making mine expand very similar to opening an extension ladder.

Without a picture the best way I can describe it is one half of the ramp is male and the other is female. My outer rails are 1 x 2 tubing, welded a piece of material on one half of the ramp that fits inside the tubing. To take up the tension, so as to not put all the weight on just the material inside the tubing, the 4 corners of the ramps that join together got a 2" x 5" x 1/8" piece of flatbar welded so that when the 2 ramps are assembled, the flatbar overlaps each other enough so that a pin can go through a drilled hole. Pin has to fit snugly enough in the hole to take the tension of the ramps trying to fold in half........ This is very difficult to describe, definitely need a picture, worth a thousand words as they say.

I'll take some pics in a couple weekends when I'm by the deck, sorry if this attempt makes no sense at all.

i have designed a deck and have full plans. I have provided them to a few fellas here, so you may have it already, if you want it pm me with your email address..

sent PMs as I would also like to see how you guys are building your decks. Not to many guys running sled decks around my area and would like to have some pics and plans to try and work off of also. Thanks...

SL I think I have those plans, good job. I'm actually using them as a base starting point and modding it to fit my application. I get everything together and start actual build I'll get pics and post up.

Thump: I thought of doing ramp like that and steered away because of point loading on junction. If the ladder design I'm working on functions as I believe it will, I'll post up pics and possibly some sketches when I get them completed.

Hey. Was going to build myself a snowmobile truck bed. I was looking on this forum after talking to some people on the snow Fanatics forum.

Got reading of all the people that might have plans. Would anyone be interested in sending the plans to me also? it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a couple designs that I came up with on my own. Two for steel, and my latest is alum. PM me with your email and I can send some pics and possibly some plans soon.

alumdeck1.jpg

this is a pic of the alum deck I'm hoping to start assembling in a couple weeks.

Has anyone done a price difference between aluminum and steel? Is it worth it to do aluminum for the extra price? I did a rough calc on steel and I am estimating about $500 in steel costs.

alumdeck1.jpg

this is a pic of the alum deck I'm hoping to start assembling in a couple weeks.

i think ur deck is over built, although i am assuming ur using 1.5" x 1/8" wall aluminum, the amount of material u have is gonna weight about the same as a steel deck, not to mention the amount of money you could possibly save, also you left no spot for your ramp to slide in and out between your beaver tail, ill post some screen shots of the deck im gonna build as soon as i can.

Deck

My friend's deck has a hinged beavertail...it flips up to hold his quads on...or down for loading. That way you don't need a ramp quite as long. Haven't seen another quite like it. I'm thinking of modifying mine to this design as my ramps too short as it is....never know if i'm going to land on the deck...or roof...or hood...lol

don't be afraid to do a steel ramp. mine is steel and weighs maybe 50is pounds. it is light enough for one person to load/unload solo and gives up nothing in strength. steel is also easy to repair, and odds are good that the ramp is gonna get tore up. mine is 1x tube about.045 wall (guessing by weight) it hinges in the middle and has sides that keep you on it. kind of like a suspension bridge.

101_6557.jpg

101_6556.jpg

pics153.jpg

i haul atvs, sleds and hound dogs with my deck. takes me about 2 weeks to build one working on it in the evenings. used to be able to build one and sell it for $800 a couple years ago. ramp is 9 ft long, one piece, has low pro glides on one side for sleds, flip it over and drive atv up the cross bars on the other side. has about 12 inch drop on the beaver tail so you have a 10 ft ramp. tail gate clears beaver tail by about an inch when you open it. ramp stows under the deck in a track above the white board with the dog door in it.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back