• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck build/welder advice.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
Hey guy i am looking to build a sled deck i have a design for the most part, since it has to fit into my garage and i don't have lots of room most of the ones you can buy are just a tad to long. My first question is material i plan on using steel. I was going to just use 2x2 tubing but after reading looks like 1x2 is fine. Most of my welding is from fixing stuff farm,ranch things so new fabrication is new to me. I am not sure on what gage of 1x2 to use or what exact steel, i see that the toy-up is 400 lbs so they must be using some Higher quality steel? Some suggestions on that would be nice kinda clueless. Lower weight would be better but not if it cost a ton more.

Second it i am going to give in and buy my own welder i plan i making mine and maybe a couple others for some friends, then maybe selling a few here and there and just hobby stuff. I have been just using a friends miller but its 15 miles away and way more welder than i need.

I am looking at the Hobart 190 and 210, i would like it to have the capability to use a spool gun for repairs. What are your thoughts on those feel free to suggest something better or whatever around the price range or little more. the 190 is 700 and the 210 is about 900. One thing i am not clear about is the power and duty cycles as far as what i need, most of what i have used is all big machines and had lots of power. I can put whatever kind of power i need into my garage also my meter is on the outside and has lots of room for breakers in it and straight shot into the garage.

i also found this when i was reading some reviews of the 190/210

i have never heard of this brand always have used miller/lin/hobarts
http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcfa21miw.html#pdItemDataTabs
looking at the tweco 141 and the 211 also havent read anything bad really.

has all 3? even though i have never tig it might be nice down the road?

also been looking at miller 211

Thanks.

Last edited:
S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Get the Miller 211. I've been using a Diversion 165 for a few years and Im going to pick up a 211 in a few months. They're extremely versatile and you just can't beat Miller.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
that is what i am leaning too. The hobarts are made in the miller plant but they have chinnese parts in them, talked to my local welding supplier and they have had some problems with the tweco not alot but he suggested the miller 211 or Lincoln 180 over the others epically if i am not going to use the stick feature of it. I don't have a need to weld outside in the wind and don't plan on needing lots of penetration

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Lincoln and Miller are both very good and will last a very long time. My Lincoln was purchased in the early 1990's and still works great. The Miller is over a decade old still works great.
O.065 wall 1x2 will be plenty strong. A 110 welder is all you need if u weld under 1/4" those can be bought for $400.
A 220 welder is going to weld a lot faster and thicker material but then ur paying $7-900.

ridin da yamacat

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
If your plan is to use a spool gun on it I'd say a lincoln 255 or miller 250 series is min for spool guns the smaller machines cranked right up just don't have the balls to drive the Alu welds in

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
Little out of line what I wanted to spend almost double of the 211

If I did pick up a spool gum it would be for small stuff I wouldn't build anything big out of aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spark'd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2011
surrey bc
New there pricey but you should be able to find a good used one for 500$ I got my lincoln 255 with a spool gun for 500 so it's possible.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
Wow that's a hella good deal ive been looking all day and haven't found any used stuff at very good prices just 3-500 under new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W
Nov 10, 2010
Whatever you get make sure it s 220 volt, you will curse a 110v if you are doing any amount of welding. If you can afford, stick with lincoln or miller. You get what you pay for

JR12

Premium Member
Oct 27, 2013
Im just going to throw this out there. I am using a Hobart 140 for the last 2 years never had one issue with it and I have fabbed up plenty of lighter gauge projects as well as patched together some stuff that I was kind of second guessing using such a light welder on and everything is still holding together..
I wouldn't hesitate to build a sled deck with it. Its a little light on the duty cycle but if you are fabbing stuff up there are plenty of breaks in between welds to keep it cool. Just throwing it out there that Hobart is a good brand and the newer models are using less Chinese parts than the early builds. and everyone ive talked to about them say they stand by there warranty and will even hook you up if your just past the 3 year warranty.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
My family runs a tube bending and welding shop in Minnesota, they have miller syncrowave 350 for tig, an old Lincoln mig, newer 220v hobart mig, and a hobart handler 120 for tack welding material together before cutting on the automated band saw. When I worked there the handler wasn't very old (2003), but they're still using it today without any complaints. When I first learned to weld I used that little welder for plenty of projects. I've read many reviews of the handler 140 and concluded that's the welderIi'd buy if I were just mig welding lighter tube steel (like a deck).

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
I bought the millet 211 I have plenty of welder for what I need to do and if I need to fix something that is thicker metal I can. Rather have more than enough power than wish I had it and have to buy another one

Premium Features