• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid Weight

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much the XP 163 skid weighs in at??

Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to lighten it up, keep the rear of the sled up, and get the rear skid transfer under control for use with turbo. Thanks!!

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
rode a 154 turbo with stock track and skid. and it climbed NO higher than the 154 stocker. with a lighter rider.

the skid is just terrible with the turbo. as soon as i was on the throttle it just trenches and comes to a stop.

this climb was nothing special but we both pinned it from the bottom. in about 3ft of snow.

you can see the turboxp track is so deep and skis off the ground.

it basically catwalks under the snow lol

if you can figure out how to make it work please let me know i have a few more turbo xps planned. as they DO rip but need some suspension work

n515398111_1470127_598155.jpg

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Best bet IMO is a Alpha-X.....very controllable and adjustable lift and great quality.
With the stock skid, HD rear springs, good shocks, soft on the front spring and let the limiter strap all the way OUT. Believe it or not this does a better job of keeping the front down than a tight limiter on this particular chassis on a climb.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Ok thanks. I have a guy that does all my motocross suspension that thinks he can help the valving curve alot. Thought about trying that with a careful skid prep. Is there any arm angles I could change to get the thing to hold up in the rear better?? Or is that strictly spring??

Brew, you think the alpha X would outperform a timber?? How bout the older holtz skids?? Did they work?? I could get one of those for a decent price.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would not do the older Holz on a turbo climbing sled, too much transfer IMO.
And IMO let the stock XP skid sag....that's how they are designed to work and seems to work the best. I have been around some that went with springs and shocks that held the rear up...they were trenchers.
Finding a balance is the key, the Alpha with the Evol''s just has so much adjustability.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
I see. That makes sense. Maybe I will save some money and work with the stock stuff this year. Buy a Holtz for 11.

Brew, are you going to run a 174 on your XP?? Thats kinda my plan. Just a little nervous if I can keep the transfer in check with the turbo...

Premium Features