• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski doo Primary loud until 5500 RPM

S

skidoomann

Feb 23, 2011
Crooks SD
I have owned my sled for a bit now and was on my brothers sled this weekend. I noticed that the primary on my 2010 XP 800 163 that has a Roosterbuilt kit on it, is very noisy/rattly until about 5500 RMP. Let me know what your guys' thoughts are. I am going to take it apart sometime in the next week or so and see what I can find if anything.

D
Unless your clutch has 1500 - 2000 miles on it don't worry about as long as it working correctly. Skidoo clutch's make noise. It's the way they are designed. We balance them everyday and I have yet to find one that doesn't rattle at low RPM.

L

lastshot

Dec 31, 2012
I recently had the same issue your explaing on the same year sled.
One of the 3 main cap screw bolts that hold the main spring housing down had sheered off and was bouncing around in there. Fixed that, but yes I agree with averone eles.... these clutches are noisy no matter what.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Its time for a rebuild. Ski doo sells the rebuild kit for just over $100. That primary needs to be rebuilt every year IMO. The closed style of the clutch captures all the clutch/belt dust and starts to wear its self out. That dust is very abrasive.

Premium Features