• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo Forum Users: HELP ME OUT HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
1. Christopher I like the all feature you have now. That works and basically gives use the "old" Ski-Doo fourmn just like it was. Nice work!:beer;
Thank you sir!

3. THIS IS NOT DOOTALK!!!!! And if it becomes DooTalk why would I visit both to get my Ski-Doo information? DooTalk has an inside with BRP and that is what makes it nice. I also look toward Dootalk for my Renegade and short track information and also more info on the 600 SDI engine.
Right you are.
SnoWest is very distinct.
BUT...
There is absolutely no reason why we can't borrow, steal, copy or imitate anything out on the net that is BETTER than what we have now.!

If there is another site out there doing a better job at something that we consider to be important, then we need to LEARN FROM THEM and improve our game!!

4. Unless you plan on changing SnoWEST to SnowAllacrosstheusa I don't log onto this site for short track flatland stuff! I long into here because of the "out WEST" (hence the name SNOWEST) information and that "style" of snowmobiling. If you are trying to make this DooTalk how about you just log into that? Because if I can get all the same information on two sites I'm not going to look at both sites. Do you get my point?
The focus of the site is NOT going to change.
But that doesn't mean we have to go out of our way to alienate any other snowmobiler out there.
There is plenty of space here to bring in more people.

5. I would bet that most of the people that log into or just visit this site visit and do the same to a bunch of snowmobile related sites. AND WE LIKE DOING THAT!!!!
ABSOLUTELY. There is no doubt but that there is a PILE OF CROSS POLINATION of our members with other sites.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Ok, I didnt read through this entire thread but here is my 2 cents.

I understand the need to make information more organized and more easily accessible. But, I am a frequent user on the forum and dont want to have to skim through a ton of different sub forums to see what has been going on for the day. I am interested in all things snowmobile, so I dont want to have to go through every sub forum to see what questions people are asking about different sleds, etc. What should be remembered is that it is us, the frequent users, that spend the bulk of the money spent with the advertisers on these forums, so I do expect to be catered to somewhat.

How about you leave the main forum as it was before, where you log into the Skidoo section and you see every thread that has been posted about Skidoo. But, when a new thread is posted have a simple way that the poster indicates what sled that thread is about or it is categorized another way. Be it XP, Rev, ZX, S or whatever. Then you can tie this back into the search function to make it more useful. This would accomplish the goal of making information more easily accessible but not overclutter the forum.

As I said before, I understand the issue that is trying to be solved. I just feel that this is the wrong way of going about it. I dont spend much time on Doo Talk, largely because it is hard to see what all threads are being posted. I like to see what is going on, but dont want to take all day to do so.

If you could categorize the threads into different groups to help the search function that would be great, but breaking the main, open type forum up to do so does not sit well with me.

Just my 2 cents and I didnt read through the thread to see if this has been covered yet.

Jake

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Jake:
Did you see the new Ski-Doo BROWSE ALL forum that was created a few days back?

That allows you to scan 100% of all threads posted in ANY of the Ski-Doo sub-directories, without having to actually go into any of the Sub-directories on a one by one basis.

The intent was to provide a quick, easy route to see all traffic flowing through the site for members just like you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Cool
Really honestly NOT trying to cause everyone grief and agony here.

Just trying to make it work better for the vast unheard masses that pass through the site every day.

In either case, I think the staff at SnoWest has come up with a final configuration, and I will get that implimented as soon as possible.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Cool
Really honestly NOT trying to cause everyone grief and agony here.

Just trying to make it work better for the vast unheard masses that pass through the site every day.

In either case, I think the staff at SnoWest has come up with a final configuration, and I will get that implimented as soon as possible.

Chris,

thanks for taking the time to make things better..

My opinion, is like triple7's above.. I like to see ALL the new posts regarding a specific brand and then determine which ones I want to view.. That Browse ALL seems to do the trick.. but the forums are certainly more "BUSY" now and it seems more difficult to work your way through all the "STUFF" so, not reall sure if I like it or not.. I think it may me a bit toomuch .. but, maybe it will just take some getting use to..

One thing that I have never been fond of is the search function.. I owuld like to be able to search one specific forum for specific topics.. What would be nice is to have a search feature that would allow be to search by Author, title, or words.. and have the search return the results in that forum only.. Currently you can not do this and the search return an overall result in ALL areas. It would be nioce if we could streamline this and make it more directed..

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Kelsey

Chris,
One thing that I have never been fond of is the search function.. I owuld like to be able to search one specific forum for specific topics.. What would be nice is to have a search feature that would allow be to search by Author, title, or words.. and have the search return the results in that forum only.. Currently you can not do this and the search return an overall result in ALL areas. ...
Kelsey
Kelsey,
You can do everything you asked for in the advanced search.
Glad to help.

And Christopher,
This is exactly what I was talking about. Kelsey is one of the most respected "highly active" forum members out there. He has over 2000 posts, and even he needs a few pointers on how to do a proper search. If you want people to have a more satisfying experience in the SnoWest forums, they have to know how to find what they are looking for. Making more sub-forums is just going to make it more difficult to find that information.

Do what you want. It's your job. But don't be surprised when it doesn't turn out the way you think it will.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
AK-rider is right, this does not make it easier. I started cruising this site because it was easier to find what I wanted to, and I could read through tons of good text just because the title seemed interesting all in one forum.

It seems that most people liked it the way it was ... yet it's still changing. No one wants it, but it's forced onto us anyway because it's better but we just don't know it. Who ever came up with this plan should run for president, they will fit in great.

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
Jake:
Did you see the new Ski-Doo BROWSE ALL forum that was created a few days back?

That allows you to scan 100% of all threads posted in ANY of the Ski-Doo sub-directories, without having to actually go into any of the Sub-directories on a one by one basis.

The intent was to provide a quick, easy route to see all traffic flowing through the site for members just like you.

will if you have that whats the piont on everything else

and why cant you make a new thread in the BROWSE ALL

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
BROWSE ALL is a function, not a place.
It allows you to scan all posts in all forums of the Ski-Doo section.

The final sub-forums layout is going to be pretty tight.
Just a few major categories is all that will be there in the end. What is there now, is closer to the final set that I will be given to impliment on Monday, but it is NOT the final layout.

As to WHY the sub-forums at all?
For the ability to FIND specific topics that our members are searching for with greater ease.

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
BROWSE ALL is a function, not a place.
It allows you to scan all posts in all forums of the Ski-Doo section.

The final sub-forums layout is going to be pretty tight.
Just a few major categories is all that will be there in the end. What is there now, is closer to the final set that I will be given to impliment on Monday, but it is NOT the final layout.

As to WHY the sub-forums at all?
For the ability to FIND specific topics that our members are searching for with greater ease.

ok if i am searching for the ZX section and am not have any ease at all!!!!

so where am i suppost to post my ????'s for my ZX at???????????

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right now post any and everything into the main area till the final layout is locked into place on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features