• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short tunnel snow flap

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
For the guys who run either a 163 in a 155 tunnel or have cut their tunnel, what are you doing with the snow flap? Im running a 162 in a 155 tunnel and the flap keeps getting caught in the track. Anyone trim the flap and have good luck?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
For the guys who run either a 163 in a 155 tunnel or have cut their tunnel, what are you doing with the snow flap? Im running a 162 in a 155 tunnel and the flap keeps getting caught in the track. Anyone trim the flap and have good luck?

Remove the flap.

Ez money

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
If you shorten the tunnel you need to shorten the snow flap. The snow flap and the tunnel length are designed to work in conjunction with one another to cool the sled. Therefore if you cut your tunnel and cut your flap you will cause the sled to run warmer. And if you don't cut the flap and you allow it to fold up into the tunnel you REALLY defeat the purpose because now NO snow is getting to the cooling system inside the tunnel. This should not be an issue in deep snow ( which is the reason you cut the tunnel in the first place ) but may cause an issue on the trail. Run a good set of ice scratchers, keep an eye on your temps and avoid riding on the trail for extended periods of time and you'll be fine. Everything is trade off. If you want a shorty tunnel you give up some cooling. Which would you rather have? A sled that runs cooler down the trail or a sled that has a better chance of not getting stuck when you get to the deep stuff and might be a bit more playful as well?

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
ps - I haven't chopped my tunnel yet but it's on the list - hoping someone will do a post soon about the new Mtntech(?) tunnel shortening kit. I did cut my snow flap which made a small difference in getting stuck as easily in the deep stuff since it reduced drag - really didn't notice much of a difference in trail temps but then I'm lazy and I run cable ice scratchers and leave them down 100% of the time.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
ps - I haven't chopped my tunnel yet but it's on the list - hoping someone will do a post soon about the new Mtntech(?) tunnel shortening kit. I did cut my snow flap which made a small difference in getting stuck as easily in the deep stuff since it reduced drag - really didn't notice much of a difference in trail temps but then I'm lazy and I run cable ice scratchers and leave them down 100% of the time.

There’s been a couple posts about the MTNTK kit.

One guy damaged his enough to leak coolant.

I cut and welded mine 8” shorter.
It definitely heats up slightly quicker than a stocker.

The turbo has something to do with that also though.

I have no problems with scratchers down. (Oem polaris/ holz)

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I run with no snow flap and so do a few others with axys 800/850 and we have problems.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I run no snow flap on a 155 with a 163 track and it over heats on ice. Soft groomers are fine but ice is no bueno. Good thing the only thing I hate more than ice is trails so the problem rarely comes up. 155 tunnel with 163 track and no snow slap actually does make quite a difference for getting the sled turned 180. I'm sold on it. However it's expensive and I would say it's probably not worth it for 19 out of 20 people.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
my buddy has a really nice rigid one. i think it is made of HDPE. it is pretty short too. I'll ask him where he got it

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I just trimmed my flap by about 4" and seems to work, but don't have many miles on it yet. I trimmed it above the lowest holes in the 2.6" flap.

Premium Features