• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shaver Huntington Lake

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Want to take family to snow for couple days.

Wife and 4 children ages 9 years to 18 months.

Where would you stay and is there any baby sitting services so we can go sledding?

Willing to go other places but not sure where? We are in Los Angeles.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
You can rent a condo or rent a cabin at Lakeshore(Huntington). Ride up Kaiser road or out of Tammarack Sno Park. As for a babysitting service.....LMAO, no way Jose. You are lucky that there is a gas station at Huntington. It's the end of the road so accomodations and services are very limited.

D
Nov 27, 2007
Shaver Lake, CA
Depending on when and if it is worth it I could probably shame my wife into babysitting in Shaver

I wouldnt let any of the local Huntington people even watch my kids for ten seconds let alone a whole day.

N
Mar 25, 2005
AO and DDY hit the nail on the head for sure as far as a lot of the locals go! not all locals though! some good folks up there too, but we have some pretty odd luck finding folks to work on the cabin.

Just to clarify a few things seeing you are from LA... going up Highway 168 to Huntington Lake where the sleddin is you go through the Shaver Lake area that DDY is talking about on your way up.

Are you renting or bringing your sleds up? If you plan on renting you will probably need to call Dave up at Rancheria for sleds and he would be a good source for finding out about a Sitter for the kids, PM me if you want a number for him or have some questions there are several guys on here that live up there DDY may also be a great source.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
niner49. Do you have a cabin at Huntington? My folks have had a place up there since 84'....Lower Line Creek tract. The folks at Rancerhia are a hoot....Dave especially.....and now that Louie is back he makes it even that much more entertaining.

N
Mar 25, 2005
AO, Shaver area I partnered on a cabin across from the Hardware store down Toyon Road, been a rental for years and we are just about to remodel and stop the renting! I can't tell you many TV's have walked out of the place:mad: after a cleaning crew left? funny how there has yet to be a forced entry?

I will be up at the Tamarack lot this weekend going up to White bark and the meadow with the family, keep in mind I am a trail rat not a steep and deep guy like you boys!

Dave has done me right over the years! matter of fact I have a broke down machine sitting behind his shop as we speak:face-icon-small-win

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't know how much it cost to rent a cabin but I found a place for $160 a night for all 6 of us.

SPARK PLUG

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
FRESNO CA
try k&k properties in shaver (559)841-3338, they rent some of the condos in huntington, and as far as a babysitter in huntington lol

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't know how much it cost to rent a cabin but I found a place for $160 a night for all 6 of us.

This deal just fell thru for me.
I guess I could find others but this included 3 hours of babysitting as day at 20 bucks a hour.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Who exactly up there was babysitting your kids and how much do you really like your kids? ;)

It was gonna be with the people who used to run Tamarak lodge. Was told by several references they were good people. They also have a child of their own, preteen.

This brings up a great point AO. I have used many sitters and for me word of mouth referral is best other than documented creditials. I get nervous using a "incorporated credentialed" daycare.

My children have learned more bad habits from big established daycare.
Biting, bad words, scratching, kicking, pushing, hitting, spitting etc. I have caught daycare workers belittling children with words, actions or deeds. All the while corporate daycare usually has a dozen or more kids per adult.

I love my children. That's why I am taking them up to play in the snow. With a sitter I can have them take care of our toddler while giving rides to my 5 and 7 year old. Plus my 7 and 9 year old can ride the 120 I bought them for X-mas. The sitter was to go out in the snow with us and tag along.

If I didn't care I wouldn't make the effort to take them to snow. I would go by myself each and every time. I have been to snow 6 times this year and only once by myself the rest with the kids.

It is my understanding large ski resorts have daycare. Never used them yet but may have to do it.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/ski_ride/child_care/index.cfm

Besides what do you think they say about sledders who take their children to a ski resort day care? What do those day care skiers teach the sledders children?

Last edited:
N
Mar 25, 2005
Timing

This really sucks, looks like the cabin may be empty this weekend and I will not be sleddin after all! supposed to be a awesome weekend weather wise too:mad:

Kids have now officially taken over my life! the days of the family asking "DAD" what are we doing this weekend are gone! I now must check the social calendars of my kids, with dance, softball, and 2 birthdays my assumptions have officially biten me in the butt!

not sure when you plan on coming up, need to give some more details about your trip and I may be able to help you out! check the following link for cabins

http://www.shaverlakevacationrentals.com/f-vacationrentals.html?

PM me and I will give you the unit names for our cabin and a friends cabin which can be rented for a lower price than you will see here if you give me enough notice, but the link above will have many, many cabins available by just punching in dates you want.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Don. I was half way giving you sh_t. I thought you were staying at Lakeshore and that they were going to watch your kids. The people that own it are great, and there are lots of kids running around there.....but some of their employees....... Tammarack is a nice place, but I have no idea who owns it now so I am sure you are fine. Plus you can ride right from your room.

The Sierra Summit comment is a good idea!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
take them to sierra summit, put them in a all day ski class and go ride. j/k

Thanks called Sierra Summit and they take care of the kids from 10AM to 4PM for $95.

But they don't take care of the 18 month old ! So .... still looking.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Don. I was half way giving you sh_t. I thought you were staying at Lakeshore and that they were going to watch your kids. The people that own it are great, and there are lots of kids running around there.....but some of their employees....... Tammarack is a nice place, but I have no idea who owns it now so I am sure you are fine. Plus you can ride right from your room.

The Sierra Summit comment is a good idea!

Well any bad feedback was for the sh_t half.

Tammarack won't do it anymore ... new manager.

Still working on Lakeshore.

Sierra Summit is a good idea.

Premium Features