• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seward HWY deaths

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Man I like to get somewhere in a hurry just as much as anyone, but trying to pass 11 cars in a row with oncoming traffic you just gotta ask WTF. People driving to fast... people driving to slow.... people speeding up on you when you try to pass... people need to get their heads out their a**, eight dead in ninety days on one stretch of road is pretty pathetic. Rant over:mad:

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I have to agree, slow the hell down and drive safetly. on that hiway even if you pass the 11 cars and live to tell about it you are just going to come up on another group within the next mile. if traffic is going the speed limit wait for a passing zone, there are plenty of two lane spots that you can safetly pass. If you are a slow poke and need to drive under way the speed limit to feel safe, thats fine with me because if you can't control your car going faster you are doing the right thing, but pull over when there are 5 or more cars behind you and let them pass safetly.

Reactions: c-bolt
N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Very sad, especially the 8 year old that was killed in the Subaru :( . Better late in this world than early into the next. The difference in getting to Turnagain doing 45 mph vs. 55 mph is only about 10 minutes.

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Better late in this world than early into the next.

VERY WELL PUT!!!!

I have a lot of windshield time on that highway this year and will have much more to come. We lost Riley last summer on that road. We were stuck behind a fatality last 4th of July on our way south, stuck behind the motorcycle vs semi accident on the way home after the Alyeska SnoX this spring and saw the aftermath of the fatality last Friday ~ this is ridiculous!!

R
Nov 27, 2008
Just a thought

Recently I started as a truck driver. I make a lot of runs to and from Whittier. You would not believe the dangerous things people do on the Seward Hwy. People... It's not the Hwy that is dangerous. It's YOU. SLOW DOWN. Trust me your friends would rather you show up ten minutes late vs. not at all. Let's all be safe out there... Please

Reactions: the_dougdangerak
R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Just reading the article this morning about the 2 kids from Soldotna. Horrible deal, worst part is the guy that was driving like a jackazz walks away and innocent people die. Hard to look at the picture of the skateboards on the side of the road.

I understand going fast to get places quick but on that road it just doesn't make sense. A family friend of mine drives Anch-Kenai OFTEN and says even if you drive like a jerk you only get there about 10 minutes quicker. Doesn't seem worth other people (or your own) life.

G
Dec 1, 2007
Girdwood, Alaska
Just reading the article this morning about the 2 kids from Soldotna. Horrible deal, worst part is the guy that was driving like a jackazz walks away and innocent people die. Hard to look at the picture of the skateboards on the side of the road.

I hope the guy that caused it gets killed walking out of his house, getting run over would be rather poetic. I drive that road twice a day, the road is fine, the drivers arent.

Knew one of the guys, they were skateboarding in gwood with us.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River AK
This was pretty sad to read about, as were the rest earlier this year. Again, its not the highway but the drivers that are on it. Everyone gets in a hurry everyonce in a while, and pushes the limits, especially during the summer when traffic is higher, but its not worth it.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
They need to slap that guy with murder charges. Killing two innocent young men, one of whom was the father of the 17 year old's unborn baby(hope the baby is ok). Absolutely ridiculous.

T
Drove Kenai to Wasilla and back this weekend, I was glad to see the four un-marked troopers out doing there thing. The traffic from Girwood to Anchorage was the slowest I've seen this year. All four troopers were with 'clients'. I sure hope they ban cell phones while driving, I talk while driving, but not in heavy traffic.

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Drove down to Sterling last night and saw the most troopers we have ever seen on the highway ~ about a dozen ~ most with customers. All of these fatalities seem to have forced them to step up their patrol.

A
Jan 24, 2008
More patrol

For those of us that spend a lot of time on the high ways from Anchorage, Seward, and Homer we will be seeing alot more patrol. The state just got it's new High way patrol units they are different identity from the state troopers that we are all use to seeing. A good friend of are's on the peninsula is one of them. They travel in teams and for their shift they pick a section of high way from Homer to Anchorage and Seward and the goal is to write the most tickets as possible and stop as many vehicals as possible in a shift. The high way patrol is a new group and is here to stay and is just not a seasonal thing. Drive safe and take your time.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Shouldnt it be vehicular manslaughter anyway??

Now theyre probly gonna make it 4 wide with rose bushes in the middle of the road, great way for out taxes to get spent on fixing dumb peoples messes theyve stirred up. Accidents happen but its hardly an accident on that road, too much careless passing and people crossing the lines not paying attention

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yeah

I am shocked by some peoples choices while driving. I haul alot of equipment for work, and its unbelieveable how many people pull out in front of me. This is a loaded low boy or tilt deck going 55 to 65 mph, and it dosen't scare people. I was behind a car that hit a motorcycle last year, and I would killed the guy if I would have hit him.

Premium Features