• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rod Bearing Failure, Cheap Oil?

W
Nov 27, 2007
I bought a 2005 rev 800 last fall that had a dealer rebuilt motor. (new skidoo crank, pistons, pin bearings, ect...) On my last ride it started clanking, I shut er down & towed er out. Tore it apart and found the Mag side rod bearing was shot. There was a small amount of blueing on the con rod indicating heat. (sorry, no pics) Everything else looked good. No other signs of heat, jetting was on the rich side. Plenty of lube. Oil consumption was 30:1. I took it to my dealer and he said it was the cheap super tech oil I was using and to only use skidoo oil. Could this be true? :face-icon-small-con Or did I get a bad crank from Skidoo? This thing only has 600 miles on it since the last rebuild. :mad:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Oil

Even with super tech oil the bottom end should have lasted longer than the top end if everything was OK to start.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I use super tec on my boosted 900 RMK and it has ran great. No issues and i had it tore apart afew times to check everything. Supertec has all of the ratings it needs

M
Jun 3, 2010
oil

Very rarely, calling on my experiences, has oil led to a burn down. I have seen the burn because folks forget to service the oil. The oil you were using is fine as already stated. I believe the dealer doesn't want to admit fault.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I bought a 2005 rev 800 last fall that had a dealer rebuilt motor. (new skidoo crank, pistons, pin bearings, ect...) On my last ride it started clanking, I shut er down & towed er out. Tore it apart and found the Mag side rod bearing was shot. There was a small amount of blueing on the con rod indicating heat. (sorry, no pics) Everything else looked good. No other signs of heat, jetting was on the rich side. Plenty of lube. Oil consumption was 30:1. I took it to my dealer and he said it was the cheap super tech oil I was using and to only use skidoo oil. Could this be true? :face-icon-small-con Or did I get a bad crank from Skidoo? This thing only has 600 miles on it since the last rebuild. :mad:

normally if a lube issue causes a problem, you will see it first on the piston skirts, the signs of heat on the journal tells me it had one bearing that was too tight on assembly...good pictures would help..you could also send a sample of oil for analasis and see if it test ok....

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon

Sound to me like it had detonation problems. Check the piston on the side that the rod is out to if the ring glands are real tight and is there some pitting on top of the piston. The ski-doo motor more than others when it would detonate it can take out the rod ( it is like a hammer and makes flat spots on the needle bearing then they drag and get hot ) not an oil problem for sure.
now it could have been to tight of side clearance that did not let the oil in.
check the pistons, if there is no pitting or tight ring glans, Ski- doo made a mistake.:hurt:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Sound to me like it had detonation problems. Check the piston on the side that the rod is out to if the ring glands are real tight and is there some pitting on top of the piston. The ski-doo motor more than others when it would detonate it can take out the rod ( it is like a hammer and makes flat spots on the needle bearing then they drag and get hot ) not an oil problem for sure.
now it could have been to tight of side clearance that did not let the oil in.
check the pistons, if there is no pitting or tight ring glans, Ski- doo made a mistake.:hurt:

yeah I should have added that in there CM, he said everything else looked good so I assumed no deto telltales...good catch...

Reactions: clutch man

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Ditto on detonation.....it's usually deto or lack of oil to take out a rod bearing. You can have deto that will hammer the bearing without showing pitting.
Is the engine 100% stock or ???

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Failure

Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner! DETO kills bearings.

W
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for all the input. Motor is 100% stock, down to the muffler. There was no pitting on the pistons. You could see minor scuffing on the piston skirts on the failed bearing side but we attributed that to bearing debris. What would cause deto on a 100% stock sled that’s running on the rich side? I was using the same fuel as my buddies XP and he's had no problems.
I had my dealer put in a re-mfg skidoo crank and seal up the bottom end. (Free labor which is great since he wasn't the dealer who installed the first crank.) He still highly recommends doo oil and showed me that the 2010 sleds state right on the oil tank that any other oil will void the warranty. He also said that if I have problems in the future it's much easier to get support from doo if you're using their oil. Guess I'll run the doo oil, um, until I'm way past the warranty.
I took it out twice before the snow melted and so far so good.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Deto

Strange as it may seem it is still possible to get deto when the mix is rich in some areas. There are too many variables, but we have seen it happen - to our initial disbelief.

How can you get deto with a stock motor? Easy: bad fuel, low elevation, low humidity, low temp, glowing spark plug electrode, vacuum leak, too much carbon build up, to name seven. Number eight is denial of the tuner - coincidental with being behind the eight ball :redface:

Premium Features