• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

priming oil pump without dealer?

P
Jan 21, 2008
Can I prime the pump with aftermarket software, or a chassis power up harness? I have no dealer within a few hundred miles. The mag side rod Bearing is toast on my 850 and ordered a reman crank.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
It’s not hard just make sure your main line to pump has oil in it the pump will pump to your engine I did this on my rebuild and it’s been going strong since day one.

P
Jan 21, 2008
It’s not hard just make sure your main line to pump has oil in it the pump will pump to your engine I did this on my rebuild and it’s been going strong since day one.
Thanks. is there an issue with the nozzles? Can’t see anything wrong but seemed like it had a restriction compared to others. I pulled it and swapping another One in.

Can I stick pulsed 12v on it to get it to pump and test it?

Also getting case machined for new crank bearing retaining rings.

S
Apr 30, 2011
You can activate the oil pump to prime it by putting parking brake on, hold reverse button down and hold throttle wide open for a few seconds. It wil run the pump for a few seconds.

To check those valves to see if they are clogged you have to put a vacuum pump on them according to the shop manual. No other way to really check them. And to get the vacuum pump on them you do have to remove the motor from the sled. I think if I was going to the trouble to remove the motor I would just put new check valves in at that time and be done with it.

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
You can activate the oil pump to prime it by putting parking brake on, hold reverse button down and hold throttle wide open for a few seconds. It wil run the pump for a few seconds.
Is this true for the 2019+ 850? The manual says that it must be done through the software…

F
Jan 3, 2008
Is this true for the 2019+ 850? The manual says that it must be done through the software…
I believe you need power harness to supply electricity to the oil pump and ECU. Then do all magic button combination. EZ-LYNK sells a power up harness. They also sell a "tuner" that reads codes and allows you to reset power valves. I believe code MURPH10 gets you 10% off. FYI the tuner doesn't come with any tunes per say you have to buy those from other companies. I plan on picking one up myself so I can do my own maintenance. Oh if your a Ski-Doo guy that same EZ-Lync tuner allows you to program tether key codes. Then you can have a second key in your pack with the same code good to go in case you loose yours.

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
I believe you need power harness to supply electricity to the oil pump and ECU. Then do all magic button combination. EZ-LYNK sells a power up harness. They also sell a "tuner" that reads codes and allows you to reset power valves. I believe code MURPH10 gets you 10% off. FYI the tuner doesn't come with any tunes per say you have to buy those from other companies. I plan on picking one up myself so I can do my own maintenance. Oh if your a Ski-Doo guy that same EZ-Lync tuner allows you to program tether key codes. Then you can have a second key in your pack with the same code good to go in case you loose yours.
Update for future reference:

You can't do the manual process (hold brake, reverse, throttle) on the 850 (at least it doesn't work on my 2019). As Polaris also omitted this section of the service manual, unfortunately, I assume they have deleted this feature entirely.

Contrary to what EzLynk told me through email, you also can't use EzLynk to prime the oil pump on the 850. I got an EzLynkand tried it... This is not a supported user feature, at least for the Auto Agent 2 (correct me if I'm wrong if the Auto Agent 3 supports this). You can't even use their power up cable to use Digital Wrench to command the pump prime as the EzLynk power cable doesn't even power the pumps (it only powers the ECU). The only supported oil pump related feature is to flash the oil pump offset number (don't change this unless you know what you are doing).

What worked for me to prime the oil pump was to manually pulse 12 VDC to it from an automotive battery. I simply ran wire from the oil pump power connector (blue and brown wires on the connector behind the coolant reservoir on a 2019) to a battery and tapped one of the wires repeatedly to one of the terminals. This worked very well to prime the pump. You can hear the pump pulse with each wire tap and you can watch the oil deplete from the feed line (I had the oil reservoir removed). Unfortunately, this does not confirm that the ECU is capable of controlling the oil pump so I recommend anyone using this method to carefully watch that the oil feed line is depleting (with the oil reservoir disconnected) on first engine start. It might also be a good idea to premix for first start.

Premium Features