• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rockin M Ranch & Togwotee Mountain Resort?

G
Jul 1, 2009
Hello All -
More than likely this topic has surfaced previously however I wanted to inquire about it anyhow. My buddies and I are planning a trip to Wyoming either this winter 2013 or next winter 2014. Currently we are looking into either Rockin M Ranch near Alpine, WY or Togwotee Mountain Lodge near Moran, WY. Timeframe is around late January/beginning February for 4 to 5 nights. We all have been riding snowmobiles for 15+ years mainly ditch bangers around the Great Lakes region. We would be considering a package deal that includes lodging and sled rental. Both places look great. I would love to hear your opinions on the two areas in regards to terrain, snow and atmosphere of the resort for sitting around and having some cold ones to share the days stories and get to know the locals. We would be interested in a combination of trail riding (50%) seeing some great scenery as well as off trail riding (50%). Any other information you deem necessary to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and can't wait to get back to the mountains!

PS - I have been to Jackson Hole and visited Grand Tetons and Yellowstone during the summer months so I do have a familiarity with the area in regards to layout of towns. Backcountry is a different story.........

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
Just curious

What made you pick those two?

The first question I would ask is about specifics of the riding you want. I will use my time in WY as an example. I grew up riding the Big horns but have spent the last 13 yrs playing in the Snowys. We try to go to Tog/Cont. Divide every Super Bowl weekend and so I see some of their riding too.
Now to explain.
The Big Horns are more carving riding with some big hills, three lodges.
Snowys emphysizes steep with some carving, town is 35 miles away.
Both in my opinion are better than Tog. riding.
For us, we go to get a change of place and a guys weekend out.
All have a great set up and anyone can stop by to "visit with the locals."
All have a good trails system and pretty things to see.

Now I know too many guys will get on here to say I'm wrong but this is my opinion. It's a territorial thing, I think. "My area is better than yours"????

Therefore, the important thing is to go and see for yourself.

From my experience, any part of WY would fill the docket, in my opinion.

syko

C

Carter

Dec 6, 2007
You have opened yourself up to a pile of replies.Sort through and ask a ton of questions........

G
Jul 1, 2009
Thanks for the info. I have looked at the Big Horns and have had much interest however some of the guys in the group tend to be more interested in the two I initially inquired about. Maybe I can do some further research on the Big Horns.........I think the group feels that Rockin M Ranch and Togwotee will have better snow.

Off trail riding will include mainly carving, smaller jumps with some cliff drops maybe 8'-15'. Not all that interested in climbing steep chutes.

Thanks for the info..........just trying to get an idea of the riding areas of wyoming and what others with experience have to say.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
You'll be happy at either place. I'm not familiar with tog but I love alpine. The riding the town everything maybe im just partial since I have a cabin up there but you can't beat the atmosphere of star valley.

C

CCGR Guide

Well I am going to be super biased here but, you should come to Crooked Creek we are on the same trail system as Tog just a few miles south. We have a great atmosphere, a little smaller than our neighbors at Tog with all the same amenities. We enjoy getting to know our guests and giving them a more personal stay. You will feel like one of the locals by the end of your trip. We have great snow that time of year and you can ride any type of terrain you want (trails, meadows, hills, ect.).

Look us up at www.crookedcreekguestranch.com

S

snowfreakmn

Nov 27, 2007
Been riding Tog for 15 years never had a bad experience... All types of riding for all types of peeps! We've ridden areas south of Jackson also, it just seems Tog has more area. I started out riding twice a year... that turned into 4 times a year....now 4 months.........

G
Jul 1, 2009
Thanks again for everyone's input. It appears that there are many great places in this area. It appears to me that I will need to start an annual trip with the gang that way we can visit the many different lodges.

CCGR Guide - this was the first I heard of you. Looks like a great ranch. I will be sharing this info with the gang.

The more I look into the trip the more excited I become.......

C
Jan 5, 2012
Iowa
Do it this year, not next, you'll just be a year older.

We have stayed at TML. All sorts of different types of riding. They offer a package deal that includes rooms, food, happy hour, guide. The guide is nice to have. They offer avy gear rental also.

Bad part of TML is it has a corporate feel to it. The guides are cool, but the rest of the employees at the lodge arent gonna go out of their way to welcome you. I like the feel of the smaller privately owned lodges where the owner has a beer with ya, the cook comes out and asks how your meal was, the guides tell ya stories etc.

From one flatlander to another wherever you decide invest in a guide for the first couple days. Stress free.

Reactions: boone and Dartos

silverram323

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cambridge, MN
www.beyondsynthetics.net
Well I am going to be super biased here but, you should come to Crooked Creek we are on the same trail system as Tog just a few miles south. We have a great atmosphere, a little smaller than our neighbors at Tog with all the same amenities. We enjoy getting to know our guests and giving them a more personal stay. You will feel like one of the locals by the end of your trip. We have great snow that time of year and you can ride any type of terrain you want (trails, meadows, hills, ect.).

Look us up at www.crookedcreekguestranch.com

I stayed here back in 2000 (assuming still the same owners, I think they were just taking over new ownership at the time) and I had a awesome experience, I had clutch problems and the owner took his clutches off and let me borrow it for the 4 days we were there. (no cost)

On our last day he offered us a deal to rent some skidoo summits. We came out with flatlander 500cc sleds we had an awesome time, I would go there again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
X

x2700

Feb 8, 2010
semn
made my first trip out to tog area last spring and all i can say is this is a great area!!!has a little of everything to offer trail riding,large meadows,and steep!!i also learned how little i knew about riding or what i thought was riding!!been riding flatland for 30 years.i was lucky enough to stay at brooks lodge late last spring!!!i definitely will be trying to get out to area again this year.also heard good things about ccgr.would be one of my first choices if i could only get buds to venture out with me.also stopped by togwotee nice place and busy!!!dont wait another year get out there and you won't regret it!!

J
Jan 16, 2012
We stayed at Rockin M Ranch last year and I have to say its top notch - Rob & Jamie are the best, very friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Their cabins are extremely nice and very comfortable. Rob goes above and beyond every morning to check out your sled rental to make sure everything is ok and you have a great experience. I would highly recommend giving them a call. I can’t comment on other areas as I have only been to Rockin M, but heading back there this year again.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

M
Oct 2, 2011
Stayed at Togwotee in 08 and 11. Excellent all around. And the cook even came out to ask how our food was. We go mid-March, less people more POW for us. We enjoy the small cabins. All inclusive package is a fair deal.

Premium Features